Gary Cahill

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Gary Cahill

Postby Amsterdam_Gooner » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Reports over the weekend have placed Bolton defender Gary Cahill firmly on Arsene Wenger list of defenders that he is monitoring as a replacement for William Gallas. Wenger has been looking to strengthen his back line and with Gallas and Sol Campbell not viewed as long term options the Arsenal boss is looking to bring in young but experienced defenders to The Emirates.

Gary Cahill would be seen as a long term partner for Thomas Vermaelen and is one of a handful of defenders that Wenger is keeping an eye on, Cahill is 24 years old, he joined Bolton in 2008 and has made 72 appearances for the Wanderers, he has played 5 times for the England U21/U20 sides and though he remains uncapped has been called up for the England main squad.

No fee has been mentioned but Bolton will demand a premium from Arsenal or any team that shows an interest, English defenders under 25 do not come cheap.
Amsterdam_Gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Re: Gary Cahill

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:29 pm

I'd be delighted, 24 year old with Premiership experience, same age as Vermaelen so could be our CB pairing for the next 5-10 years!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Jay22 wrote:I won't be happy with this signing, to be honest.
If we have to replace Gallas, we need to do that with a similarly experienced CB. You can't have two 23-25 year old CBs, one of whom has just one year of PL experience.

But they could learn to play with eachother, become a partnership rather than two good individuals (which is how I'd describe Vermaelen and Gallas). They could be the next Adams and Bould!!! Plus Cahill has the height, which has still been an issue at the back this season, despite the improvements.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:39 pm

I don't rate Cahill at all, if i am honest.

He would be a poor replacement for Gallas.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Amsterdam_Gooner » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:40 pm

agreed, would be a fantastic sighning. Especially as it looks more and more likely that Gallas will be leaving on a free. Cahill and a years contract extension for Sol and the return of Johan Djourou should see us have quality and depth in the CB positions, (with Silvestre leaving obviously).
Amsterdam_Gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Jay22 wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:
Jay22 wrote:I won't be happy with this signing, to be honest.
If we have to replace Gallas, we need to do that with a similarly experienced CB. You can't have two 23-25 year old CBs, one of whom has just one year of PL experience.

But they could learn to play with eachother, become a partnership rather than two good individuals (which is how I'd describe Vermaelen and Gallas). They could be the next Adams and Bould!!! Plus Cahill has the height, which has still been an issue at the back this season, despite the improvements.

Next Adams & Bould? :lol:

I am not saying he is a bad player but he is not at Gallas's level. If Gallas leaves, i would like a 28-29+ defender.
We already have DJ who would be a good understudy.

Every tall player PG sees is the next Adams or Bould.

I don't even rate Cahill at Senderos's level...
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby TRA Dial Square » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Arsenal To Replace William Gallas With Bolton Wanderers Defender Gary Cahill

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is planning a swoop for Bolton Wanderers centre-back Gary Cahill as he prepares for a major rebuild of his squad over the summer, according to a report from The Sunday Mirror.

The Gunners' chief apparently sees the Trotters' defender as the ideal replacement for William Gallas, who is out of contract in the summer.

Cahill is 24 as well as being a seasoned Premier League campaigner, and Wenger is believed to be keen to sign him before he wins a full England cap and his value soars.

http://www.goal.com//en-us/news/85/engl ... ith-bolton
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby mg86 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:09 pm

I like his ability to chip in some goals for the team and he is prob the best player on that Bolton team besides maybe their goalie. But I wouldn't want him to be our only only cb signing, that would be Silvestre and Gallas out, Cahill in and we are already thin at d!
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gzagee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:24 pm

I'd have him over that Hangeland any day of the week. Yes, I've changed my tune over Hangeland. I've watched him more this term and he seems to commit at least one howler a game. We already have enough of those guys in the squad without handing over good money for another.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Est83 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:31 am

Gotta disagree with you there GZA. I've said this before. I'd rather keep Gallas for another season as first choice next to Vermaelen, and Sol for another season next to Djourou to give him a bit of education in the cup competitions, ready for Djourou to replace Gallas the following season. But if either Gallas or Sol were to leave, and it came down to a Pemiership replacement, Hangelaand would definitely be my first choice. Tall, powerful, a great reader of the gam, comfortable with he ball at his feet AND experienced. But with United agreeing a fee with Fulham for Chris Smalling we might have to pay over the odds for Hangelaand.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby gooneritis » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:35 am

i wouldn't mind cahill but there's others i'd rather.

not to sneeze at a solid, tough british CB though, something we really lack, someone with a bit of balls about them.

cahill and metzelder in on a free would sort our defensive problems out considerably imo. (along with a keeper of course).
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Q8 Gooner » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:17 am

I think he can be a solid defender with vermaelen.. and Sol and Djourou as cover..
RED ARMY
Q8 Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:12 pm

I want Sakho. PSG captain at 19.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Amsterdam_Gooner » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:35 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -club.html

interesting article, saying Bolton wouldn't stop Cahill leaving for a bigger club. Man U is the club linked here, but is a good sign if Wenger is serious about sighning him.
Amsterdam_Gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby IMF » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:48 pm

Manure linked to every feckin defender or keeper that we're linked to??
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge