Sergio Gómez

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Sergio Gómez

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:13 pm

LB
Spanish
Anderlecht

Arsenal are exploring options for new left back with Anderlecht’s Sérgio Gomez and Oleksandr Zinchenko @David_Ornstein
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Sergio Gomez

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:14 pm

Who ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Sergio Gomez

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:21 pm

Good stats playing from LB (he can also play LM / CM ) too apprantly.

48 games 6 goals 16 assists from LB
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Sergio Gómez

Postby Zenith » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:35 pm

Gómez's move to Dortmund as a young attacking midfielder came too early, but at Anderlecht's he's really made a name for himself as an inverted full back.

Not sure if he has what it takes to become an elite defender, but he's a great ball progressor and has a fine cross on him. I can see why we'd be looking at him, as he's quite similar to Zinchenko, albeit younger/less proven.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby TedLasso » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:04 pm

Wouldn't mind a flyer on him but Zinchenko is preferable
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:38 am

Zenith wrote:Gómez's move to Dortmund as a young attacking midfielder came too early, but at Anderlecht's he's really made a name for himself as an inverted full back.

Not sure if he has what it takes to become an elite defender, but he's a great ball progressor and has a fine cross on him. I can see why we'd be looking at him, as he's quite similar to Zinchenko, albeit younger/less proven.

Sounds good on the face of it.

I guess the only question mark is that Lokonga was a top performer for Anderlecht and since coming to England has looked out of his depth.

On that basis I don’t know if he’s one for the future rather than right now.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Zenith » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:13 am

Salibatelli wrote:
Zenith wrote:Gómez's move to Dortmund as a young attacking midfielder came too early, but at Anderlecht's he's really made a name for himself as an inverted full back.

I guess the only question mark is that Lokonga was a top performer for Anderlecht and since coming to England has looked out of his depth.

I think Gómez would benefit from staying at Anderlecht for one more season in order to work on his defensive side of the game.

It's worth noting that he's only 5'7'' and not very quick, so he'll have to become a smart defender who relies on his low centre of gravity and anticipation in order to make it at the highest level. As it stands, he's not even a good very defender for Pro League standards. Then again, having been an attacking midfielder as a youngster, he's still getting accustomed to his new position.

Regarding Lokonga, he also was not very consistent at Anderlecht either, but fortune didn't work in his favour. Just as Sambi started to make a name for himself he picked up a horrible ACL injury, which sidelined him for 9 months. When he made his return, he wasn't helped by the fact that the club went through its worst spell since the 1930s.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:17 am

Our last Anderlecht purchase was Lokonga. I think its safe to say we best stay clear.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:52 pm

Zenith wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

I think Gómez would benefit from staying at Anderlecht for one more season in order to work on his defensive side of the game.

It's worth noting that he's only 5'7'' and not very quick, so he'll have to become a smart defender who relies on his low centre of gravity and anticipation in order to make it at the highest level. As it stands, he's not even a good very defender for Pro League standards. Then again, having been an attacking midfielder as a youngster, he's still getting accustomed to his new position.

Regarding Lokonga, he was not very consistent at Anderlecht either, but fortune didn't work in his favour. Just as Sambi started to make a name for himself he picked up a horrible ACL injury, which sidelined him for 9 months. When he made his return, he also wasn't helped by the fact that the club went through its worst spell since the 1930s.

I think based on what you’ve observed, he’s not ready to play for us until he has more experience, so perhaps not suitable as a backup.

I think defensive intelligence is also something which maybe comes when experience.

Fair enough I think Lokonga maybe needs a loan right now so that he can play regularly at a slightly lower level perhaps, then he can come back and we can see if he’s good enough.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby alexafc12 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:01 pm

Whilst he's a backup the reality is he will get plenty of game time if Tierney's injury record continues. So we do need a player that can hit the ground running in that position and not another Tavarez.

Zinchenko probably makes much more sense in that case - especially since he can fill in at LCM.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:39 pm

City have made a move from him
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:13 pm

City have wiggle room to f**k up some signings, we don't. Zinchenko was the better move for us, good luck to this guy at City.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:21 pm

So much for the narrative that City sold Zinchenko to go all out on Cucurella. City pulled out of the deal as soon as Chelsea outbid their offer.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill