Lisandro Martinez

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Lisandro Martinez

Postby Santi » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:28 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
Santi wrote:Well I stopped at your first line because you clearly didn't read the other posts. The original comment was specifically about how Spurs (and others) upgraded their first XI so the rest of what you've written is probably pointless.

They've done okay business (not really impressed with any particular player) maybe Bissouma to improve their squad which was weak but if we're looking at first XI I don't see any real improvement. Richarlison is 60m down the toilet.

I take your comment that I answered a different question but the facts remain the same. Having a fantastic 1st eleven won't win you feck all if your subs are all half as good. Spurs finished fourth because they added, what everyone in January called very average squad players, because when it mattered those players stood up to be counted. When Kane, Son and Romero all got injured Spurs did as well or better with their reserves.

How did losing Partey and Tierney work for us having to play our back-ups?

City and Liverpool can rest almost every player knowing they have a quality backup - that's where we need to be. Right now we're not even close.

And on that argument I don’t disagree with you, I think they had weak backups and have improved their overall squad with some fairly astute signings. I expect perisic for example for follow every word conte says, having struggled under him at first only to become a key player for the guy before. That’s why it’s conte that worries me more than their signings, he will extract the absolute maximum and more from players, especially ones he already worked well with.

But if I was them and I’d just bagged CL by the skin of my teeth, I’d be targeting a Gnabry or spending that 60m on a world class centre back rather than adding a marginal improvement over Lucas Moura as 4th forward.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:30 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Arteta publicly threw him under the bus and then we're surprised that he clocked out.

Jesus is an upgrade on the Auba if you judge him on his form during his final season and a half. On quality as a striker I'd take Auba.

What?

Auba was clocked out 18 months beforehand. He was shit for the whole of the 20/21 season and carried on the same in 21/22. The public fallout only damaged our resale chances and value of the player.

Second half of your post I agree, because Auba has had the chances to show what he can do and obviously his peak has so far been higher than Jesus. But what’s the point when that player hadn’t been around at Arsenal for 18 months? We have to compare to what we had last season and that was 3 shit strikers.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:42 pm

How can a player manage close to 30 goals a season back to back and then turn shit overnight. It was a combination of things in my opinion: COVID, change of position, confidence, behind the scenes issues.

Anyway I don't disagree Auba was shit and judging that form Jesus is an upgrade. But the manager could have done more to get him back to his best, after all he was all for a 350k a week contract just months before.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:49 pm

alexafc12 wrote:How can a player manage close to 30 goals a season back to back and then turn shit overnight. It was a combination of things in my opinion: COVID, change of position, confidence, behind the scenes issues.

Anyway I don't disagree Auba was shit and judging that form Jesus is an upgrade. But the manager could have done more to get him back to his best, after all he was all for a 350k a week contract just months before.

More likely his lack of motivation after the 350k pw. Should ask Auba, he went from the FA cup winner to a dogshit striker who should’ve been benched way earlier than he was.

Suddenly perked up when he got his change of scenery and had a point to prove but clearly something up because Barca rumoured to be shifting him on as well after 6 months.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:18 pm

Santi wrote:Well tbh huge was a bit of an overstatement, got a bit caught up in the reply but I think our starting XI has improved purely by the signing of Jesus. That's what I meant to say, you don't agree that's cool...I'm not 100% convinced about Jesus as I mentioned but I don't see how he can't be an improvement on the Auba/Eddie/Laca we saw last season.

Again with Richarlison we have different views and hence you think they've upgraded their first XI and I don't, all good. I do wonder why you rate Richarlison and not Jesus though. One for me is a guy with the ego of Zlatan who can occasionally whip something out of his ass but 8 of 10 games will do little while the other is a good striker who's been forced to play second fiddle most of the time he's been at city but his numbers per 90 are still pretty good.

Fair enough you’re entitled to your opinion, I guess I just don’t see Jesus as that prolific striker.

The reason I rate Richarlson over Jesus is he’s a real handful who is a game changer, he’s got something about him. Jesus just doesn’t have that, he’ll get some goals IMO, but he’s not the kind of player who is going to change a game, look at his stats when he’s a sub, barely any goals or assists, he’s more of the kind of player who will pop up and put some chances away rather than someone who win you a game.

I guess that’s probably why I’m a bit underwhelmed, he’s not prolific and also lack that bit of gold dust star quality that Richarlson has.

I wouldn’t have chosen Richarlson as our one striker either btw, I just feel he’s got more to his game.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:23 pm

I agree about Conte though, he’s a big plus for Spurs, but I also think he knows the players he needs to improve clubs and to make them challengers and it’s evident in his signings so far, all very logical signings for them.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:30 pm

Salibatelli wrote:I agree about Conte though, he’s a big plus for Spurs, but I also think he knows the players he needs to improve clubs and to make them challengers and it’s evident in his signings so far, all very logical signings for them.

His signings have been very pragmatic indeed. You can see that he is trying to set up Spurs for another Top 4 campaign, not pretend that this is some sort of mystical 3-year process that requires 20 new players and ends with PL and CL.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:03 pm

Arsenal are scheduled to meet Ajax next week as the battle to sign their Argentina defender Lisandro Martinez intensifies, with Manchester United having made a bid for the 24-year-old. (Athletic)
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:06 pm

He's going to end up at Utd I recon.

Fact he's worked with Ten Haag before is a bit difficult to overcome, same way we got Jesus plus the extortionate wage offer.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Tubbs » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:43 am

Second offer inbound like Raph so we will be waiting another month
Tubbs
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:40 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:He's going to end up at Utd I recon.

Fact he's worked with Ten Haag before is a bit difficult to overcome, same way we got Jesus plus the extortionate wage offer.

Yep, hopefully we have a different target we can prioritize. Utd are desperate to close a deal, any deal, and they are masters of overpaying.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:10 pm

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:13 pm

He’s on his way boys
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:37 pm

Martinez has chosen Man U according to reports.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbicelesteTalk?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

If true that’s another target gone.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:25 am

5'9 centre back

Not too disappointed to miss out. The midfield is where we need to be spending big money now.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill