Cody Gakpo

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Cody Gakpo

Postby Ach » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:41 pm

Arsenal have, according to FootMercato, joined the hunt for PSV midfielder Cody Gakpo.

Manchester City and Liverpool have already been linked with the 22-year-old Netherlands international winger.

Cody Gakpo
Winger
PSV Eindhoven

Any Dutch people here who can tell us about him?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Re: Cody Gakpo

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:02 pm

Van Basten reckons he’s not ready for the PL yet and needs to get stronger.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby NovaGB » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:54 pm

Who?
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:17 pm

Arsenal's chase of Cody Gakpo, 22, will have to wait until at least the summer window as PSV Eindhoven have tied the Netherlands forward down to a contract extension. (Mail)

Lol
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:39 pm

PSV winger Cody Gakpo has been linked with Liverpool and Manchester City, but football.london claims that Arsenal may be tempted to join the hunt for his signature.

The 22-year-old Netherlands international is expected to make a big-money transfer at some stage in the near future, with the Premier League seemingly set to be his next port of call.

Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:59 pm

PSV have set their minimum asking price for Arsenal-linked winger Cody Gakpo - according to The Athletic.

The Dutch giants will listen to any offers between €35 million (£29m/$39m) and €50m (£42m/$55m), with Liverpool, Barcelona and Bayern Munich also thought to be keen on the 22-year-old.

Gakpo has appeared in 20 Eredivisie games for PSV so far this term, recording eight goals and 13 assists.

Impressive numbers
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Zenith » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:44 pm

(Dutch) https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/arsenal-op-pol ... voor-gakpo
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:10 am

In alignment with the consensus of us requiring 2 forwards to spearhead our attack, I've come to the conclusion that Gakpo and Nunez are as a pair best suited to be assimilated into the squad and raise our goalscoring prowess to the elite level. Make it happen Edu, make it happen.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:22 am

Didn't want him cos he's a winger and we need strikers but he looks really strong and at 6'2 has the physical attributes that mean he could adapt to leading the line. I'd want another striker too (as bbt says, him and Darwin Nunez would be great) in case he couldn't develop into a CF but I'm not against signing him.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:20 am

Gakpo likes Arsenal 'a lot' as Man Utd & Liverpool-linked PSV star reveals Premier League transfer dream

The attacker has a contract until 2026, but the Eindhoven side are reportedly willing to listen to offers this summer

PSV winger Cody Gakpo has admitted that he likes Arsenal “a lot” as the 22-year-old continues to be linked with a move to the Premier League.

The Gunners, Manchester United and Liverpool are all rumoured to have an interest in signing the Netherlands international in the summer transfer window.

Gakpo, meanwhile, revealed that he has been enquiring about England's top flight and that an Arsenal legend was among his heroes while growing up.

“Everybody wants to play one time in the Prem,” the attacker told The Sun. “I don’t favour one team but I like Arsenal a lot.

“I looked up to [Thierry] Henry when I was younger because he was a tall guy who played on the wing.

Bring him home
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:59 am

Was he even born when Henry played on the wing?

Looks like he could make the transition to striker too.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:51 pm

Played against Leicester in the Europa quarters. How did he do?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby NovaGB » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:28 pm

I read something calling him the new Bergkamp, not sure what the comparisons are because i haven't watched him, but Bergkamp started on right wing for Ajax before he got moved up front.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:41 pm

NovaGB wrote:I read something calling him the new Bergkamp, not sure what the comparisons are because i haven't watched him, but Bergkamp started on right wing for Ajax before he got moved up front.

I will admit to having been a bit of a sucker for falling into the trap of making efforts to view some matches or highlight shows and Euro Leagues round ups on Sky and BT Sports (don't enjoy ESPN too tough though but best for South America and MLS - Trusty, Turner etc) featuring various players linked to Arsenal, although this has waned significantly since Kai Havertz pulled my plonker, and the missus opened accounts with Ann Summers and Victoria's Secret.

Personally, little in Gakpo's game puts me in mind of Bergkamp, rather I could better appreciate some elements drawing mild comparisons with Henry's strong running from the left wing to score and counter attacking breaks from deep, and Anelka's attacking the box, twisting up defenders and shooting on sight, so none too shabby still.

The same way as I myself wouldn't look to compare Kane and Shearer as similar although some things could warrant why others would, or Rooney with Cantona or Ronaldo with Messi.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:02 pm

https://youtu.be/rCbEfYSkuzE

Twitter going mad about his response when asked about Arsenal in this interview. Where's @Dejan when you need him?
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill