Gabriel Jesus (9)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Jesus

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:05 pm

Zenith wrote:
Ach wrote:Has to hit the ground running.

He's played in the country for years so doesn't need a settling period

20 league goals minimum

That's just not going to happen. This isn't 2013. Since the 2018-19 season, not a single player has managed to score more than 23 goals in a Premier League campaign.

If Jesus manages double figures, say 14 goals in addition to bagging 7-8 assists, in addition to the tireless pressing he gives you by default, he'll have had a good first season.

He said 20.

You said 23, conveniently omitting Aubameyang who hit 22 PL goals in back to back seasons, outpacing Henry as the fastest Arsenal player to score 50 PL goals.

What has changed at Arsenal in the past 2 years that makes these numbers impossible?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:20 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Zenith wrote:

20 league goals minimum

That's just not going to happen. This isn't 2013. Since the 2018-19 season, not a single player has managed to score more than 23 goals in a Premier League campaign.

If Jesus manages double figures, say 14 goals in addition to bagging 7-8 assists, in addition to the tireless pressing he gives you by default, he'll have had a good first season.

He said 20.

You said 23, conveniently omitting Aubameyang who hit 22 PL goals in back to back seasons, outpacing Henry as the fastest Arsenal player to score 50 PL goals.

What has changed at Arsenal in the past 2 years that makes these numbers impossible?

Ach said that Jesus should score 20 league goals next season minimum. Setting the bar that high for a CF suggests that scoring 20 league goals is something that happens with great a frequency, which it hasn't. Not in recent seasons. Not for City; not for Liverpool; not for Chelsea.

I never say it's impossible for Jesus to score 20+ league goals in his first season. I pointed out it's highly unlikely and also pointed out that, for most teams, goalscoring has become a shared effort between multiple players.

Again, football changes constantly. Teams look to cancel each out other out all the time. What worked two, three years ago may not be as effective now and vice-versa. A few years down the line, goalscoring could revolve more around the striker's output again.

Also, those two Auba seasons you're referring to have come from him operating as WF in the left half space; not as CF, which only adds to the point I made.

For some reason, in your reply, you decided to remove the most important part from my post, so I'll re-add the full post for the readers:

Zenith wrote:That's just not going to happen. This isn't 2013. Since the 2018-19 season, not a single player has managed to score more than 23 goals in a Premier League campaign.

Interestingly, in recent years wing-forwards have dethroned centre-forwards from the top scorers lists. Last season, only 2 strikers in Kane and Vardy made the top-10 goalscorers list. The other 8 are either midfielders, or wing-forwards who like to operate in the half spaces.

Everywhere across the Premier League goalscoring has become a collective effort, rather than something that depends on the output of 1 or 2 players. (Kane and Son at Spurs being the exception.)
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:18 pm

Salah scored 20+ goals in all but one season in the PL for Liverpool (he scored 19 that season - he hit over 30 in his first season)

Kane has hit over 20 in the PL 5 times (though only once the last 4 seasons)

Son is not as prolific but hit over 20 last season

Aguero got over 20 goals in the PL in 5 of his last 6 full seasons for City

Ronaldo who is 37 and only played 30 games this season in a struggling Man U side hit 18.

Vardy has hit more than 20 goals 3 times for Leicester (twice in the last 5 seasons).

Aubameyang hit more than 20 goals twice for us.

Plenty of players have hit more than 20 goals, in teams that have more goalscorers it’s probably more normal for players to not hit 20 as often, but in our team that has no other decent striker I’d expect Jesus to hit 20+ seeing as he is the focal point of our attack.

Ideally he should hit around 25 in all competitions. I would have expected us to go out and sign a goalscorer because we desperately need one, even our top scorers don’t get many goals, they score around a dozen at most.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby elkanofan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:39 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Ach wrote:Is this done yet?

All it says online is he's having a medical

Longest medical ever

Yes its done.

Are you new to Arsenal? we obviously have to do a 2 week presser release.

As per these pics.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... u-medical/
- Along with his life story.

- How he akways 'dreamed' to play for Arsenal.

- The Keyring cartoon giveaway.

- He needs to model the new away shirt

And so on and so on...
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:26 pm

Zenith wrote:
Zenith wrote:

20 league goals minimum

He said 20.

Ach said that Jesus should score 20 league goals next season minimum. Setting the bar that high for a CF suggests that scoring 20 league goals is something that happens with great a frequency, which it hasn't. Not in recent seasons. Not for City; not for Liverpool; not for Chelsea.

I never say it's impossible for Jesus to score 20+ league goals in his first season. I pointed out it's highly unlikely and also pointed out that, for most teams, goalscoring has become a shared effort between multiple players.

Again, football changes constantly. Teams look to cancel each out other out all the time. What worked two, three years ago may not be as effective now and vice-versa. A few years down the line, goalscoring could revolve more around the striker's output again.

Also, those two Auba seasons you're referring to have come from him operating as WF in the left half space; not as CF, which only adds to the point I made.

For some reason, in your reply, you decided to remove the most important part from my post, so I'll re-add the full post for the readers:

I cut out that stuff because quoting long posts makes the mobile experience terrible. But also because there wasn't much there to support your point. We are not making Jesus the highest paid player in the team so he can adhere to whatever the PL average is. The player himself should be wanting more after so man years in the shadows.

What does it matter where Auba was played? His job was to score goals, and the manager picked a position where he could do that to the best of his ability.

It is the same w Gabriel. If he isn't tasked with improving our woeful goal total, who is? What is the point of rolling out positive stats one after the other if the best he can be expected to do is "better than Laca"?

20 PL goals is hard, but far from improbable as our own forwards have shown.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:45 pm

Auba did it twice with garbage creativity behind him

Jesus has the likes of odegaard, saka, Vieira etc feeding him
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:48 pm

I think 20 PL goals or thereabouts for a player who cost 45 million with 1 year left and will be our number 1 striker and really our only quality striker isn’t unreasonable.

If he comes in and scores 10-15 goals he’s not a lot better than Saka or ESM who don’t even play as strikers.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:58 pm

Salibatelli wrote:I think 20 PL goals or thereabouts for a player who cost 45 million with 1 year left and will be our number 1 striker and really our only quality striker isn’t unreasonable.

If he comes in and scores 10-15 goals he’s not a lot better than Saka or ESM who don’t even play as strikers.

He's a capable enough forward. The real question is whether Year 3 Mikel will pursue an attacking style of play, or continue tanking the form of every striker unfortunate enough to cross his path.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:48 pm

Zenith wrote:
Zenith wrote:

20 league goals minimum

He said 20.

I cut out that stuff because quoting long posts makes the mobile experience terrible. But also because there wasn't much there to support your point. We are not making Jesus the highest paid player in the team so he can adhere to whatever the PL average is. The player himself should be wanting more after so man years in the shadows.

What does it matter where Auba was played? His job was to score goals, and the manager picked a position where he could do that to the best of his ability.

It is the same w Gabriel. If he isn't tasked with improving our woeful goal total, who is? What is the point of rolling out positive stats one after the other if the best he can be expected to do is "better than Laca"?

20 PL goals is hard, but far from improbable as our own forwards have shown.

You removed the context of my point, and it appears you're arguing against that instead.

Once more: my point was that, in recent seasons CFs have scored significantly less than what traditionally has been the case—and that goalscoring amongst top-4 teams has become a shared effort between different attacking positions. You don't have to like it, but that's a fact. Does that mean it'll remain like that for eternity? Of course not.

In your attempt to rebut my point that there's been a lack of goals from the CF position, you used Auba's goal-scoring record in his first two seasons whilst ignoring that he barely featured in that role/position. What it does instead, is further enforce my point that there's been an increase of goal-scoring from wide positions.

Surely you must realise the basis of that counterargument is flawed? If you're willing.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:44 pm

Salibatelli wrote:I think 20 PL goals or thereabouts for a player who cost 45 million with 1 year left and will be our number 1 striker and really our only quality striker isn’t unreasonable.

He's a capable enough forward. The real question is whether Year 3 Mikel will pursue an attacking style of play, or continue tanking the form of every striker unfortunate enough to cross his path.

Yes very true, so far all of our strikers have ended up losing the ability to score under his methods.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:32 am

Ach wrote:Auba did it twice with garbage creativity behind him

Jesus has the likes of odegaard, saka, Vieira etc feeding him

Well, how about we state the obvious then ............

Jesus is not and never has been the finisher that Auba was and did again in La Liga.

This is what I was saying on the previous page, he's a good player, I'm glad we signed him but he is not as prolific as Auba.

Auba's trouble came from Arteta playing him in the lone box role, up on his own, when his two 20+ goal seasons came from him playing mostly from LW.

Jesus is a great level of player ..... but are we about to make the same mistake we did with Auba position wise?

Time will tell, but as I said now that Raphina has fallen through why not go for a traditional CF and put Jesus as a WF which is his best position?

..........again, unless Arteta is changing his formation, something else we won't know till our first game, but I doubt he is, he was pretty stuck on 4-2-3-1 all last season.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:36 am

Power n Glory wrote:I have a feeling he will start wide with Nketiah playing as main striker.

I seriously doubt it, especially for the first half of the season.

Mainly because if that is the case ......... we literally have one CF at the club for all competitions.

No, I think Jesus has been signed to play centrally, unless we buy someone else that points to otherwise.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:40 am

Playing Jesus wide would mean benching Saka. Why would we ever do that?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby 22-0 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:38 am

swipe right wrote:Playing Jesus wide would mean benching Saka. Why would we ever do that?

Saka cant play every match.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby BexleyGooner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:15 am

Why are we so slow at announcing transfers?
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk