Lisandro Martinez

Heard any rumours? This is the place to discuss potential transfer targets.

Re: Lisandro Martinez

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:00 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Est83 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:This guy is listed as a CB though?

Why is everyone talking like he's a LB? eveything I've looked at has said he's a CB.

He's 5'9" though, and his hero is Gabriel Hienze. My guess is he's a right sided Tomi. :dontknow:

Left sided Tomi you mean?

Well that's fine but all over his bio's it states his position as CB.

But it would be weird if we were going all out for a CB because with Saliba coming back, White, Gabi and Holding ......... a CB is not what we need, its a LB.

As long as Martinez is happy making LB his main role then I'm happy.

Yes, left sided :doh:

Stocking up the left footed CBs confused me too. Gabi, Saliba and Martinez... no idea where he's going with this. 2 for every position works with 2 left sided CBs and 2 right sided. Extra left sided CBs suggest a sale or possibly, 3 at the back.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:05 am

Saliba is right footed.

So it's Gabi / Martinez on the left side. Martinez would also deputise for Tierney at left back so he'd get plenty of game time. He can also fill in at DM too if we have an injury crisis there.

I do wonder whether Holding will be allowed to leave though. I expect if we got a ~£15m bid for him he'd be allowed to leave.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:09 am

Or as you say, 3 at the back in some games.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:27 am

Didn't realise he was right footed... he's left sided though. I'm guessing that will change.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:00 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:If he's at good as pinging balls around bonucci/pirlo style as he is on youtube then give him Xhaka's place next to partey in midfield.

Bingo. That is exactly what I too am hoping Arteta's intension is to do with this fella in utilising his best attributes in a position they would be most welcome and effectively results in a massive upgrade...defensive midfield.

Partey no longer being tasked with what I perceive to be only his second best position not only allows him to play his best role again as a box-to-box central midfielder, but in knowing how capable he can be in that deeper, more restrictive position sees him as a viable alternative option to Elneny as the designated DM backup only if the circumstance and opposition warrant it, but at the same time not be overly reliant upon him or suffering significant harm resulting from any prolonged absence.

As such, Partey himself remaining in the team without the detail of DM but instead just as a central midfielder would in itself work out as a further improvement to our midfield in his relegating Xhaka to the bench and taking his spot.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:34 pm

United going for Malacia may mean they end their interest in Martinez.

At CB they already have Maguire / Varane / Lindelof / Baily / Jones

Would have made more sense if they wanted him to cover both positions (as we seemingly do)
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Tubbs » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:13 pm

Man U back for Martinez looks like we’ve really slowed up with signings now we’re finalising jesus as we’re stalling on other players
Tubbs
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:23 pm

Tubbs wrote:Man U back for Martinez looks like we’ve really slowed up with signings now we’re finalising jesus as we’re stalling on other players

Never get carried away until a deal is signed a sealed, too many false dawns at Arsenal over the years, Raphinha we massively underbid and had no chance of getting him, if we were serious we’d have upped our bid to much closer to what Leeds we’re asking.

Martinez again we’ve made a bid and had it refused and now sat there waiting whilst Man U come in.

Ok we signed Vieira but he’s a backup and no one wanted him. No one was in for Jesus either as everyone had other targets.

So far we’ve signed 4 players and only 1 is a first teamer, the rest are backups or ones for the future.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:42 pm

Arsenal have made a third offer to Ajax for Argentina defender Lisandro Martinez, 24, who is valued at £43m by the Eredivisie champions. (Sun)

Dear God
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:53 pm

Jesus is wrapped and Martinez we've already bid 2/3 times...if United want him we probs lose out but that's no different to 2 weeks ago. Chill.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:45 pm

Santi wrote:Jesus is wrapped and Martinez we've already bid 2/3 times...if United want him we probs lose out but that's no different to 2 weeks ago. Chill.

Not really.

If we paid the asking price he'd be in an Arsenal shirt by now.

What happens like what happened with Raphina is we low ball, other clubs see the activity, think, yeah this deal can be done and swoop in with a sensible offer and take the player.

We apparently were on our 2nd bid for Raphina, leaving the door open for Chelsea to jump in.

We're now doing that for Martinez.

We got Jesus because we had this lined up early plus the offer was sufficient for City, its a shame we can't make that common practice.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:50 pm

If we bid the asking price there's nothing to stop Man Utd doing the same and having the Ten Haag factor. Chelsea overpaying for Raphinha doesn't bother me, if they're happy to throw 60m...good for them but we obviously can't afford to walk in with an overpriced first offer like they can.

You go to a Moroccan market and offer the asking price or more first time? Even Jesus didn't start at 45m and we apparently got City down from 50m+ so clearly your example doesn't line up with your comments.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:37 am

Santi wrote:If we bid the asking price there's nothing to stop Man Utd doing the same and having the Ten Haag factor. Chelsea overpaying for Raphinha doesn't bother me, if they're happy to throw 60m...good for them but we obviously can't afford to walk in with an overpriced first offer like they can.

You go to a Moroccan market and offer the asking price or more first time? Even Jesus didn't start at 45m and we apparently got City down from 50m+ so clearly your example doesn't line up with your comments.

We were the ONLY club that bid for Jesus .... when there is competition for players that's different - luckily Utd are not that attractive right now, but against a CL club we have little chance of signing a player unless we pay the price.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby dc16 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:28 pm

Ornstein saying he is keen on Man Utd now.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby BexleyGooner » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:55 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:Jesus is wrapped and Martinez we've already bid 2/3 times...if United want him we probs lose out but that's no different to 2 weeks ago. Chill.

Not really.

If we paid the asking price he'd be in an Arsenal shirt by now.

What happens like what happened with Raphina is we low ball, other clubs see the activity, think, yeah this deal can be done and swoop in with a sensible offer and take the player.

We apparently were on our 2nd bid for Raphina, leaving the door open for Chelsea to jump in.

We're now doing that for Martinez.

We got Jesus because we had this lined up early plus the offer was sufficient for City, its a shame we can't make that common practice.

This is why I never believe all the war chest crap.

It’s plainly obvious that we have budget constraints, so we end up lowballing all our targets to try and spread the money round, but end up losing all of them. It’s utter incompetence.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill