Odsonne Edouard

Heard any rumours?
Then post them in here and get the opinions of the other members on them.

Re: Odsonne Edouard

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Santi wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Santi wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Rayyo wrote:
Santi wrote:
Rayyo wrote:
Santi wrote:Liverpool weren't smart with coutinho though, it was a ridiculous offer that no club would turn down. People need to stop using it as an example of squad building tbh, they did well with the money but it rarely happens.

you just contradicted yourself.

How? It's rare that a club is so desperate and overpays so much for a player. The only smart thing Liverpool did was buying him for 8m in the first place, the rest was pure stupidity from Barcelona.

i said liverpool done smart business. you said it wasn't smart then you said it rarely happens.

so it was smart then.

I agree. It was smart and it wasn't rare for Liverpool. The fee for Coutinho was massive and probably the peak of their transfer strategy but that Klopp team was years in the making. They sold well and reinvested in some good players that played a key role in getting them to where they are. It started before Klopp arrived.

2014. They sold Suarez for big money one season and that was probably the start of the rebuild.

2015. They did the same the following season when selling Sterling and bought Firmino and Joe Gomez.

2016. They wasted no timing getting rid of Benteke and a few other dead weight players. That paid for Mane and Wijnaldum.

2017. Then the sold Coutinho for that massive fee.

Then use those deals to show their smart business and rebuild, not the coutinho fluke. Also without the latter, they'd still have been shit. My point, as I said originally, is you can't use them as a benchmark. It would've taken them at least a couple more years to get where they are if they didn't have Barca massively overpaying for Coutinho.

This is all on top of the best transfer they made, signing a world class manager in Klopp. Anyone whoexpects us to be able to rise as quick as Liverpool did is nuts, we aren't going to get 120m for Martinelli in the next 2 seasons so it'll be a lot longer process. No doubt Liverpool have done great over the last 8 years in the transfer market, but the Coutinho deal was a complete rarity that helped them go from top 4 challengers to top of Europe.

What Rayyo said wasn't that complex. Shouldn't take much explanation really. We've all seen the bad business deals we've done over the years. Outside of outside investment or a new sponsorship deal, this is the quickest way to raise transfer funds.

Liverpool raised funds to get themselves into the top 4 and then doubled down on the transfer strategy to make it to the top. Of course, it doesn't work without Klopp but if we believe in Arteta's ability to produce talent, it's not a bad example to look at. You look at at our rivals and what they've been able to sell their top players for and then look at us and what we've sold our top players for. It's a joke.

I don't know why you have this new tendency to try and add something patronising to add weight to your argument but it's a shame because the rest of your post I would agree with. Problem is when people specifically always use Coutinho as an example when he is 100% an anomaly. Not complex at all, I agree :)

Take it as being patronising but it's not as if you've never adopted a similar tone when responding to me. But putting that aside, I think you're nitpicking at Rayyo's example.

Even if we looked at the Countinho example specifically, the smart thing about Liverpool's approach is that they bought him for peanuts and once he started pulling out big performances and attracting enquired from Barca, they signed him to long term contract and made him one of the highest paid players. That was a year before they allowed him to leave. So where was some sort of foresight behind they're thinking.

They knew he was attracting attention and considering the market was going crazy around that time, they knew a massive bid could come there way and made sure they were in a strong position. I don't think they even accepted Barca's first bid. They took the maximum. We need to do the same with our players. Forget the price tag when thinking of Coutinho. It's about trying to get the maximum fee.
Power n Glory
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rayyo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:01 pm

Santi wrote:
Rayyo wrote:
Santi wrote:
Rayyo wrote:
Santi wrote:
Rayyo wrote:
Santi wrote:Liverpool weren't smart with coutinho though, it was a ridiculous offer that no club would turn down. People need to stop using it as an example of squad building tbh, they did well with the money but it rarely happens.

How? It's rare that a club is so desperate and overpays so much for a player. The only smart thing Liverpool did was buying him for 8m in the first place, the rest was pure stupidity from Barcelona.

i said liverpool done smart business. you said it wasn't smart then you said it rarely happens.

so it was smart then.

The overpaying part from Barca rarely happens. It was dumb from them, nothing to do with Liverpool. You'd be stupid to turn down 120m for a player who was really worth 60m max. If not being stupid = being smart for you then sure.

you contradicting yourself has nothing to do with barca overpaying.

I didn't contradict myself, you've just decided that for yourself.

the funny thing is you can't even see it.
Rayyo
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Santi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:19 pm

banging on and on playing word chess like omphi yet the bits you bolded in the first place aren't contradictory. So either answer my question or stop replying because you're adding nothing.

Now if you want to argue the original 8m purchase of Coutinho was the smart bit and the sale fee doesn't matter, please go ahead, that would at least be a valid argument but I shouldn't have to hand it to you.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Santi wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Santi wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Rayyo wrote:
Santi wrote:
Rayyo wrote:

so it was smart then.

I agree. It was smart and it wasn't rare for Liverpool. The fee for Coutinho was massive and probably the peak of their transfer strategy but that Klopp team was years in the making. They sold well and reinvested in some good players that played a key role in getting them to where they are. It started before Klopp arrived.

2014. They sold Suarez for big money one season and that was probably the start of the rebuild.

2015. They did the same the following season when selling Sterling and bought Firmino and Joe Gomez.

2016. They wasted no timing getting rid of Benteke and a few other dead weight players. That paid for Mane and Wijnaldum.

Then use those deals to show their smart business and rebuild, not the coutinho fluke. Also without the latter, they'd still have been shit. My point, as I said originally, is you can't use them as a benchmark. It would've taken them at least a couple more years to get where they are if they didn't have Barca massively overpaying for Coutinho.

This is all on top of the best transfer they made, signing a world class manager in Klopp. Anyone whoexpects us to be able to rise as quick as Liverpool did is nuts, we aren't going to get 120m for Martinelli in the next 2 seasons so it'll be a lot longer process. No doubt Liverpool have done great over the last 8 years in the transfer market, but the Coutinho deal was a complete rarity that helped them go from top 4 challengers to top of Europe.

What Rayyo said wasn't that complex. Shouldn't take much explanation really. We've all seen the bad business deals we've done over the years. Outside of outside investment or a new sponsorship deal, this is the quickest way to raise transfer funds.

Liverpool raised funds to get themselves into the top 4 and then doubled down on the transfer strategy to make it to the top. Of course, it doesn't work without Klopp but if we believe in Arteta's ability to produce talent, it's not a bad example to look at. You look at at our rivals and what they've been able to sell their top players for and then look at us and what we've sold our top players for. It's a joke.

I don't know why you have this new tendency to try and add something patronising to add weight to your argument but it's a shame because the rest of your post I would agree with. Problem is when people specifically always use Coutinho as an example when he is 100% an anomaly. Not complex at all, I agree :)

Take it as being patronising but it's not as if you've never adopted a similar tone when responding to me. But putting that aside, I think you're nitpicking at Rayyo's example.

Even if we looked at the Countinho example specifically, the smart thing about Liverpool's approach is that they bought him for peanuts and once he started pulling out big performances and attracting enquired from Barca, they signed him to long term contract and made him one of the highest paid players. That was a year before they allowed him to leave. So where was some sort of foresight behind they're thinking.

They knew he was attracting attention and considering the market was going crazy around that time, they knew a massive bid could come there way and made sure they were in a strong position. I don't think they even accepted Barca's first bid. They took the maximum. We need to do the same with our players. Forget the price tag when thinking of Coutinho. It's about trying to get the maximum fee.

More the fact that you've been recently doing the same to jayram and HH that I've noticed as well. That's why I called it a tendency.

And yes I certainly am nitpicking, that's the whole point, I don't like people using coutinho as the example, use Liverpool's business over the last 10 years instead. Also acknowledge that we're unlikely to see the likes of the Coutinho deal again (maybe very rarely as I said) so at least most clubs, even when following their example, would take longer to see the improvements with all else being the same.

That's all. Agree with the rest of your comments on the approach. Fair argument on the coutinho part as well :)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:31 pm

can we get back on topic and talk about french eddy some more please

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:45 pm

Santi wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Santi wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Santi wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Rayyo wrote:
Santi wrote:
Rayyo wrote:

so it was smart then.

More the fact that you've been recently doing the same to jayram and HH that I've noticed as well. That's why I called it a tendency.

It's a tendency across the forum for the majority of posters. I see scraps daily between different posters and most can give as good as they get. It's not as if your above that sort of thing either, but if that's your clique and your standing up for them, that's cool.
Power n Glory
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rayyo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:52 pm

Santi wrote:banging on and on playing word chess like omphi yet the bits you bolded in the first place aren't contradictory. So either answer my question or stop replying because you're adding nothing.

Now if you want to argue the original 8m purchase of Coutinho was the smart bit and the sale fee doesn't matter, please go ahead, that would at least be a valid argument but I shouldn't have to hand it to you.

if you can't see the contradiction then it's probably best to leave it there. there's a certain level of IQ required for a debate.
Rayyo
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby alexafc12 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:49 pm

Watching the old firm derby. This pubber looks pretty good. Great touch on him.
alexafc12
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:07 pm

I think he'd be a great signing. We only have 2 centre forwards, Laca and Nketiah. Laca is approaching 30.
Edouard looks to me like has a good combination of touch and strength that is needed in the PL and would be a good replacement for Laca (who probably only has 12 months left at the club).
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:20 am

I still think selling Lacazette for a decent fee and bringing in Edouard is the move to go for this summer.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:30 am

Callum wrote:I still think selling Lacazette for a decent fee and bringing in Edouard is the move to go for this summer.

You're a fan of Celtic too, right?

I read on Reddit from Celtic peeps that Edouard is rather lazy and moody. Is there any truth to that, or is that more along the lines of "Edouard is good, please don't take him from us"?
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Callum » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:53 am

LMAO wrote:
Callum wrote:I still think selling Lacazette for a decent fee and bringing in Edouard is the move to go for this summer.

I read on Reddit from Celtic peeps that Edouard is rather lazy and moody. Is there any truth to that, or is that more along the lines of "Edouard is good, please don't take him from us"?

Yes, there may be some truth in that. I don't think it's massively problematic but he does go through periods where he's not at his best and I know some fans attribute that to attitude problems, at least partially because we all know how good he can be on his day. I do think he'd shine more with better players around him.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:30 am

Callum wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Yes, there may be some truth in that. I don't think it's massively problematic but he does go through periods where he's not at his best and I know some fans attribute that to attitude problems, at least partially because we all know how good he can be on his day. I do think he'd shine more with better players around him.

Ah, sounds like there could be a motivation issue—like he can't be bothered if he's not challenged. Wouldn't mind taking a punt on him if that actually is the case. If worst comes to worst, Arsenal could ship him off to PSG.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:29 pm

Odsonne Edouard is happy to wait in order to seal a big-money move away from Celtic, claims Football Insider.

The Scottish outfit recently slashed the forward's asking price by almost half, sparking what could become a possible bidding war for his services.

Leicester City and Arsenal are among those who have been linked with a move for the 22-year-old.

Good luck to Leicester.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Yesterday 1:37 pm

I think he'd be a great signing based on his talent alone, but if it's true he has attitude issues - avoid like the plague.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Previous

Return to Arsenal's Rumour Mill