An Interview With.......... Reverend Gooner

Get to know Goonersworld members a little bit better

An Interview With.......... Reverend Gooner

Postby SE13 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:31 am

1] Your name: Michael Dommett

2] Location: Roehampton (south west london)

3] Age: 25

4] Marital status: In a long term relationship

5] Are you thinking of marrying your current lady any time soon: Not soon but i am sure that one day i will

6] How tall are you: 5'10"

7] What radio station do you listen to and why: I don't often listen to the radio but when i do i listen to mellow magic for some chilled, smooth action. Often as backing to my online poker sessions in the deep of the night.

8] Favourite TV programme: 24

9] Why do you support Arsenal: Inter were the first team i supported but the first English team i watched play was Arsenal vs Zaragoza and i was gutted when they lost. I looked out for them as my favourite (but still not really a fan) as i started to watch English football. I learnt quickly how machiavellian and evil Man Utd were back then (I hated man utd before i became a supporter of Arsenal, my hatred has nothing to do with supporting a rival team) so i backed whoever they played. Then Wenger came along and the combination of the football and the fact that they were challenging man utd made me become a fully fledged fan, i started to love the players and i was really proud to see us win the double.

I became a fully fledged die hard supporter i would say from 2000 after losing the UEFA cup final, i was gutted and realised then that i cared more about Arsenal than England (which was massive back then) . From then on i called myself a supporter, bought shirts, went to matches when i could and basically gave my life to the Arsenal cause.

10] Favourite player currently: King Kolo Toure, i think he is amazing both defensively and when he goes on an offensive charge.

11] Favourite all time player: Dennis Bergkamp, he did not have such a great time at Inter (which suprised me) but he was immense for Arsenal. He had unique quality and style and his creative ability made him my favourite ever.

12] Ultimate holiday destination: Cruise and nature trek in the artic

13] Money is no object, where would you chose to live: Probably in one of the uber expensive houses near me in Barnes or Richmond.

14] Favourite food: Mexican food

15] Favourite drink: Guinness

16] Would you be prepared to let Arsenal lose a Champions League Final in order for Middlesex to be relegated: No, i like Tottenham being in the league, i like to beat them and as bad as this may sound i don't hate them that much. I hate teams such as Man utd, Juventus, Blackburn and Millwall more. Don't get me wrong i do dislike them, especially their pathetic (mostly) fans, some i sadly call my friends, but i do not passionately hate them as many gooners do.

Plus i would love Arsenal to win the Champions league, that would be ecstasy, only the prospect of Man Utd getting relegated could even raise my eyebrow in this type of situation.

17] If you won the lottery, what would you do: Follow the England cricket team around............ forever

Many thanks to Reverend Gooner for taking time out to do this. Questions are now open to others, so ask away, within reason.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: An Interview With.......... Reverend Gooner

Postby Cheese » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:57 am

Is there any reason you can think of where in 30odd years time you wouldn't support Arsenal? I.e ticket prices or they change there destination or anything you can think of? Something that could really upset you?
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby singaporegooner » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:01 am

If there is any aspect of the world you want to change, what is it and what benefits do you think will occur?
In Arsene We Trust!!
Predicitions League 08/09 Winner
singaporegooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:27 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Is there any reason you can think of where in 30odd years time you wouldn't support Arsenal? I.e ticket prices or they change there destination or anything you can think of? Something that could really upset you?

I could never stop supporting them, anything which could upset me (ie having Eboue in the squad) will always be temporary and there will always be the beaming greatness which i can concentrate on.

singaporegooner wrote:
If there is any aspect of the world you want to change, what is it and what benefits do you think will occur?

Blimey...

On a serious world looking flex then it would be enough food for everyone, obvious benefits.

Concerning the UK it would be many more prisons and the laws and judges to use them, obvious benefits.

On a personal flex it would be The Smiths getting reunited and go on tour, they would be the greatest gigs ever.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:55 pm

What do you think of Greggs decision to whip the very tasty Mexican lattice from their shelves?
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby niko197 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:31 pm

i can't belive everything you said (about arsenal) works for me too! my first club was bayern, i hated united first i become passionate arsenal fan after that game with galatasaray (f***ing turks!!! :angry: ) and i don't hate totenham, i hate united with the passion! :P

best game you ever watched?
niko197
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:41 pm

If there was one rule in football you could change what would it be & why?
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:38 am

You always come across as a cerebral person Rev, so if you had a choice between ending war or ending famine and disease, which would you choose?
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:35 am

Ade's dancing shoes wrote:What do you think of Greggs decision to whip the very tasty Mexican lattice from their shelves?

Not a happy bunny but i could never hold a grudge against Greggs, many a time they have saved me when i thought i was heading for a skanky mcdonalds. I love Greggs :cloud9:

Niko wrote: best game you ever watched?

Like your story mate, glad i am not alone ;)

Best game i have ever seen was probably Liverpool beating AC Milan in the Champions league final. That was unbelievable, it really was.

Best Arsenal game i have watched was the 5-4 against Spurs, that game was crazy.

SGW wrote:If there was one rule in football you could change what would it be & why?

I would introduce video technology and each team captain gets a three strikes and your out rule as in tennis. It must be done for the integrity of the game, i am certain the only reason it is not being implemented is that there is alot of corruption and match fixing around Europe and video replays would hamper deliberate dodgy decisions, it is a shame but that is my theory. I would introduce it in a flash.

Fabrestuta wrote:You always come across as a cerebral person Rev, so if you had a choice between ending war or ending famine or disease, which would you choose?

I would like to say war but war seems to be inherent in the human condition, to end war would mean altering the mentality of human beings and i don't know what other consequences there would be altering the minds of humans to the point that we never go to war with eachother, we could become almost like a different species altogether (if we lose those traits/instincts and all the other things connected to them). We know relatively little about the mind so i will leave it alone.

The other two are dealing with more physical problems so i will choose one of those two....

My choices are get rid of disease and then we lose the mortality rate worldwide, populations boom and consumption heightens, probably leading to more famine (but their weakened immune systems due to famine would not lead to disease as there is no disease which is a bonus but people will still die of starvation) and world shortages. Lives are saved and families will grieve less but the boost in population could have significant negative effects.

Get rid of famine, there will still be disease but everyone can eat, people will have better immune systems and better able to fight disease/illness although the amount of lives saved here is dwarfed by the amount saved by getting rid of disease. If everyone can eat it will probably mean more crops, more production and probably a better economy in currently less well of countries and of course for the worldwide economy in general.

Also if the crops to get rid of famine are growing it would mean that global warming would have to cease as the way things are going it is getting more difficult to grow crops in general worldwide so the implications of this choice could (big could) benefit the environment and stop global warming and all it's ill effects (assuming you believe them to be true, i am not 100% convinced but am very concerned)

Getting rid of disease will save millions of lives and seems the more ethical and compassionate thing to do but i do not know what consequence the mass population increase will have on the world, the environment and all other things that need to be taken into consideration.

I will reluctantly get rid of famine (although still happy as that is a big coup) and make sure that the current world population will be able to eat and trust that the prosperity of the worlds poorer countries, the worlds economies and of course the eco sytem will benefit from the environmental changes needed to make this happen. I will trust the world doctors and scientists to help combat disease.

Edit: I just realised you asked me "famine and disease" but i cannot be bothered to erase all that and start again so i will answer it as "famine or disease" (i changed the quote to reflect).
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:41 am

Nooo you were right the first time. I worded it wrong, but I meant get rid of war or famine or disease, as in pick one of the three.

Interesting choice though. I believe there's more than enough food in the world but it doesn't get to the people who need it and thats often because of war.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:58 am

Fabrestuta wrote:Interesting choice though. I believe there's more than enough food in the world but it doesn't get to the people who need it and thats often because of war.

I believe that too although at least this way it gets to everyone.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:46 am

Why did you stop being a reverend, Reverend...?
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:01 pm

If you could go back in time & interview a historic political figure, good or bad, who would it be & what would you ask them?
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:36 pm

If you could interview George W. Bush, what would you say or ask him?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:26 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Why did you stop being a reverend, Reverend...?

Sorry Inch, What do you mean.......... ?

SGW wrote:If you could go back in time & interview a historic political figure, good or bad, who would it be & what would you ask them?

Niccolo Machiavelli, because i think he gets some bad press, i would interview him about his exile, his life real life views and the context behind some of his work.

[quote="If you could interview George W. Bush, what would you say or ask him?[/quote]

First of all i would decline any offer to interview George Bush.

If i had to i would ask him why New Orleans is still in the state it is when just a slice of his war fund would help clean it up and attract people back to their homes?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Members Interviews Archives