Re: The Euro 2020 Mega Thread

Postby Goonerred » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:48 pm

Good times never seemed so good...
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:03 pm

Penalties are such a terrible way to settle games. Specially finals. They should bring back the old golden goal and do away with penalties.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:11 pm

Goonerred wrote:
Nuggets wrote:England set themselves up with that stupid arrogant song. bit them right in the ass lol

It really wasn't a stupid arrogant song. The song was about England's failures, the coming home bit was about England hosting a major tournament. But heyho, people believe what they want to believe.

I first heard it as 'Three Lions '98', a World Cup oriented remix of the Euro '96 song. Maybe it goes back even further.

But at the time it was making reference to an event that happened 'only' 30 years prior. That number's closer to 60 now, and it's not like 'It's coming home' doesn't get said at every major tourney England participate in.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:13 pm

aniym wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Nuggets wrote:England set themselves up with that stupid arrogant song. bit them right in the ass lol

It really wasn't a stupid arrogant song. The song was about England's failures, the coming home bit was about England hosting a major tournament. But heyho, people believe what they want to believe.

I first heard it as 'Three Lions '98', a World Cup oriented remix of the Euro '96 song. Maybe it goes back even further.

But at the time it was making reference to an event that happened 'only' 30 years prior. That number's closer to 60 now, and it's not like 'It's coming home' doesn't get said at every major tourney England participate in.

You got that right lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:01 pm

Goonerred wrote:Good times never seemed so good...

I've been inclined
(baa baa baaa)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Goonerred » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:42 pm

dc16 wrote:Sweeeeeeet Caroline

ba ba ba baaaa.
Goonerred

Postby Goonerred » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:00 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Goonerred wrote:Good times never seemed so good...

I've been inclined
(baa baa baaa)

To believe they never would
Goonerred

Postby Angelito » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:29 pm

@ English supporters

What's your stance on Southgate now? Do you guys think England should persist with him, or is it time for change?

Personally, from the outside, these years under Southgate have been England's best since 1966. His classy attitude and statemanship has really united the team. There's proper squad harmony and less drama, less egos. If he leaves, that might be one aspect England find themselves rueing. However, in terms of tactics, Southgate is really lacking. Last night, Southgate lost the tactical battle against Mancini.

If Southgate is dispelled, England might hire a great tactician, but might miss out on his man-management abilities, which is amongst the best in the international scene today.

England obviously aren't sacking him anytime soon. The World Cup is just around the corner and a new manager may prove to be disruptive unless it's someone line Wenger, Benitez, or Ancelotti. Unlikely scenarios, all.

A European final and a World Cup SF is not something to scoff at. So, I don't think there's a need to get rid of him. He's undeniably England's most successful manager since Sir Alfred Ramsey.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:03 pm

Goonerred wrote:

Yup

It's hilarious how people don't understand the song at all
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:08 pm

As for Southgate, it's a funny one for me. Not particularly a fan but can't deny that a semi and a final for us is a vast improvement.

And off the pitch stuff he has done seems brilliant.

It's just the defensive nature he has with all out attacking talent, we should be bossing games and not sitting back. He makes weird decisions which didn't work last night but have most of the time and of course his love for mount and the battle with Lampard for mount custody might get ugly.

He'll stay and we go again. He has to learn.

I don't see much to fear us on Qatar. We can count out the South American boys. France will come again. Italy since they won it in 06 have either been knocked out in groups or not qualified at all. Belgium last chance.

I think we'll get semis as a minimum.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:31 pm

Ach wrote:Taking the knee must continue as well.

Last 24 hours has shown why it's important

Anyone still having a problem with the fight against racism is part of the problem

But what does taking the knee actually do though?

Does it fix anything, tbh .......... it makes it worse and that's reality.

Probably why some agenda driven parties want it to continue, it keeps the subject of racism alive and its also seen as a radical Left talking point, which pisses off Conservative / Centre Right voters, not because of the race message but because of its Far Left association.

As I said previously, no one ever had a problem with "Kick it out" its when the kneeling is associated with BLM that it became a problem.

............ if you want to fix the issue you need to have the same accountabilty for your words online that you would face to face, that means no more posting annonymously, every post you need to sign in with an verified ID account so the Gov't know exactly who you are wherever you post.

You claim you want to fix online racism, are you prepared to allow the Gov't to enforce that action? if not you are all talk, and that goes for anyone.

Toxic online commentary is allowed because of annonymous posting, its as simple as that, fix it or stfu basically.

........... but do people really want to fix the problem, or do the media, Gov't and extremists prefer it as a continual talking point and click bait subject, I wonder?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:09 pm

how being against racism is "radical left" is hilarious...
any person of sound mind of any political stripe knows racism is toxic
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:15 pm

Ach wrote:As for Southgate, it's a funny one for me. Not particularly a fan but can't deny that a semi and a final for us is a vast improvement.

And off the pitch stuff he has done seems brilliant.

It's just the defensive nature he has with all out attacking talent, we should be bossing games and not sitting back. He makes weird decisions which didn't work last night but have most of the time and of course his love for mount and the battle with Lampard for mount custody might get ugly.

He'll stay and we go again. He has to learn.

I don't see much to fear us on Qatar. We can count out the South American boys. France will come again. Italy since they won it in 06 have either been knocked out in groups or not qualified at all. Belgium last chance.

I think we'll get semis as a minimum.

Agree, can't put my finger on it but something just not quite right with him. I do have to give him credit though, his squad selection baffled me and so did his team selection at times but in this tournament he got it largely right (until last night second half really) so fair does. Earned his keep, so best of luck for Qatar...lets go :1990_dancing.gif:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:22 pm

Southgate is certainly winning over those that believed he was the wrong man for the job. Like everyone else who had only seen his efforts at Middlesbrough, I wasn’t a fan, but prepared to back him until such time as he proved unworthy.

He’s already achieved far more than any manager since Ramsay, both on and off the pitch, so definitely deserves our gratitude and support for the WC.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Euro 2020