The Euro 2020 Mega Thread

Discuss UEFA Euro 2020™ here.

Re: The Euro 2020 Mega Thread

Postby alexafc12 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:54 pm

Southgate back to the drawing board to figure out how he can start 9 defensive players for the World Cup.

GK

RB RB CB CB LB

DM DM DM

Mount Kane
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm

Losmeister wrote:how being against racism is "radical left" is hilarious...
any person of sound mind of any political stripe knows racism is toxic

That's not what I said.

I said kneeling is associated with BLM and that the subject of racism is a main Far Left talking point.

That's got nothing to do with who is for or against racism, just because race isn't a Right, central or Conservative talking point doesn't mean they aren't against it.

BLM is a race talking point movement ffs, its the basis of their whole organisation, how can you say what I said isn't accurate?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:37 pm

Footballers have said them kneeling has nothing to do with politics of BLM. Quite simply it's about raising awareness about racism which is rife in this country and others.

Seeing both teams take the knee in the final was great.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:40 am

Kneeling is a form of non violent protest. It brings attention to the systemic problems in society. These athletes in the US and UK have done more to draw attention and discussion about this topic than our politicians or media have. It is no different than what Gandhi and Mandela advocated. It is a form of civil disobedience. It should be encouraged not discouraged because the opposite of non violent protest is violent protest.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Wenger's Coat » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:16 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

That's not what I said.

I said kneeling is associated with BLM and that the subject of racism is a main Far Left talking point.

That's got nothing to do with who is for or against racism, just because race isn't a Right, central or Conservative talking point doesn't mean they aren't against it.

BLM is a race talking point movement ffs, its the basis of their whole organisation, how can you say what I said isn't accurate?
I am very much centre of the road politically, certainly nowhere near Far Left, and I can assure you that racism is very much one of the main talking points for me. Likewise for just about every other person I know - and my social circle does not include any members of the communist party, BLM activists, or Antifa guerrilla fighters.

So the proposition that racism is not a “central” talking point does not ring true for me.

Racism should be one of our main talking points as a society until racist behaviour becomes universally unacceptable.

It is not far-fetched. Societal norms can and do change, albeit slowly. It just requires sustained effort over extended periods of time.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Wenger's Coat » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:25 am

Re Angelito’s question, Southgate has done enough to earn a shot at the 2022 World Cup.

It’s not perfect, clearly. In the final, the team surrendered the initiative and paid the price. Hopefully, Southgate and the team learn.

However, a record of WC semi and a Euro final is almost as good as can be, and certainly a vast improvement on most of the last 25 years. It would be silly to get rid.

Let’s see what the 2022 WC brings and re-assess then.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:06 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

That's not what I said.

It actually is ALL about politics.
There is no serious racism problem in this country. Hasn't been for years.

It's used by organisations like BLM and politicians to divide and control. BLM have done really well out of it. It a business. I think quite a few opportunists in minority communities have realised it's a great weapon and use it to get things they want.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby dc16 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:29 am

Never seen more of a diverse group of supporters at any tournament than I did in the stands at Wembley and in the celebrations in and around the country.

Did the online hate spread any further than the 10-15 Twitter posts that I’ve seen shared around as screenshots as I’ve not witnessed anything? Just general praise for an amazing performance and regret that we couldn’t actually bring it home.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:58 am

Now back to the football. Is Southgate the problem or the solution? Me thinks he’s too risk averse and not allowing England’s attacking talent to flourish. With so many playmakers and strikers while playing at home, England should have been blitzing the other teams. Which other country can say they don’t have space for Grealish and Sancho?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:25 pm

swipe right wrote:Now back to the football. Is Southgate the problem or the solution? Me thinks he’s too risk averse and not allowing England’s attacking talent to flourish. With so many playmakers and strikers while playing at home, England should have been blitzing the other teams. Which other country can say they don’t have space for Grealish and Sancho?

I think he's a bit of both.
he has the makings of a very good team and seems to have the players with him.
What he needs to stop doing is selecting players that are not good enough.
I still can't work out why Mount took up a place in the final. He was poor to start with, then isolated and missed a match, then came straight back and was poor again.
You can't persist with players who look poor in a tournament and leave players out that are clearly on form and up for the challenge. Neither Saka or Grealish got enough playing time, which is a real shame.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:16 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:Now back to the football. Is Southgate the problem or the solution? Me thinks he’s too risk averse and not allowing England’s attacking talent to flourish. With so many playmakers and strikers while playing at home, England should have been blitzing the other teams. Which other country can say they don’t have space for Grealish and Sancho?

I think he's a bit of both.
he has the makings of a very good team and seems to have the players with him.
What he needs to stop doing is selecting players that are not good enough.
I still can't work out why Mount took up a place in the final. He was poor to start with, then isolated and missed a match, then came straight back and was poor again.
You can't persist with players who look poor in a tournament and leave players out that are clearly on form and up for the challenge. Neither Saka or Grealish got enough playing time, which is a real shame.

We have to recognize that he got England to not just the finals of a major tournament but all the way to penalties. At which stage it’s a matter of minutes and inches. It could’ve gone either way.

I think Southgate has now earned the credibility to take some risks. Playing two CBs, two RBs and two DMs is too conservative. He has a wealth of attacking talent at his disposal. He should play a midfield that is better at driving forward. I also think he needs to bring Henderson in for his experience in winning top prizes. There is a gamesmanship at this level that is invaluable. We saw it with the Italians. Grealish has to start and Sterling, Saka, Sancho and Foden should be alternating around Kane. Let loose the attack even if it means getting knocked out in the quarters or semis.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:33 pm

dc16 wrote:Never seen more of a diverse group of supporters at any tournament than I did in the stands at Wembley and in the celebrations in and around the country.

Did the online hate spread any further than the 10-15 Twitter posts that I’ve seen shared around as screenshots as I’ve not witnessed anything? Just general praise for an amazing performance and regret that we couldn’t actually bring it home.

Southgate even said the majority of the racism came from foreigners
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Goonerred » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:32 pm

I watched a news article on the BBC and they were saying that Russia groups of people on the internet just sending devisive posts to other countries, lots of fake news. Divide and conquer. I know the graffiti on Rashford's picture was done physically, at least local people showed their appreciation by putting lovely messages and hearts etc on it.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Goonerred » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:50 pm

I think Southgate has earned the right to take us to the World Cup. Everyone says he's had it easy in terms of teams played, so we'll see how he gets on. He got us to a final, and a semi, that's got to count for something. I hope he learns from his mistakes from the final.
Goonerred

Postby Rockape » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:33 am

With regard to him being too defensive minded, I think most watchers will now appreciate that that approach worked well for us. No silly goals and a solid base to attack from, when we were able.

No doubt it would be interesting to put Grealish, Saka and Foden in front of Philips and Rice, to see how that panned out, but the fact was......Italy's scrambled goal could have been saved on another day and we'd now be celebrating winning the thing!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Euro 2020