Eduardo Da Silva

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Postby Arsenal_4_Life » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:55 am

dudu huh? well if he plays badly thats definately what ill call him.
Arsenal_4_Life
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby REG » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:36 pm

Number 9 shirt he's been given hey
Hmmmm both Beast & Reyes have gone :(
Another Easten European wears the number 9 shirt nw (Suker b4)
Gd luck m8 ur gonna need it
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Libertine » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:00 pm

REG wrote:Number 9 shirt he's been given hey
Hmmmm both Beast & Reyes have gone :(
Another Easten European wears the number 9 shirt nw (Suker b4)
Gd luck m8 ur gonna need it

If you're saying that the shirt seems a bit unlucky (i think i'm reading it right, all those numbers confuse me! ;) ) you're spot on.

Recently we've had Baptista, Reyes, Jeffers, Suker and Anelka.
Anelka was brillaint but f***ked off.
The others never really set Highbury alight.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby REG » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:04 pm

Alan Smith must of put a spell on it
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby rvtheace » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:31 pm

WELCOME EDUARDO!

Man, if Mr. Bean was Latino, I think that's how he'd look!

He's gonna slaughter the EPL.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fordy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:42 pm

It said in a few of the papers wenger had been watching a mid from the same team so that might be another singing
Fordy

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:38 am

Fordy wrote:It said in a few of the papers wenger had been watching a mid from the same team so that might be another singing

Yeah i read that too his name is Ognjen Vukojevic...never heard of him, all i can find is he's a midfeilder, not sure whether thats central or a winger.. anyone know anything about him?
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Lanchester » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:36 am

rvtheace wrote:WELCOME EDUARDO!

Man, if Mr. Bean was Latino, I think that's how he'd look!

He's gonna slaughter the EPL.

Wenger has always looked like a French Mr. Bean. :P
Lanchester
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby rvtheace » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:19 am

More on Dudu from .com:

'Eduardo has the incisiveness to turn a game'

Eduardo da Silva became Arsenal's first signing of the summer when he completed his move to Emirates Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

The Croatian striker had a prolific record at Dinamo Zagreb and has also impressed at international level, scoring in his country's 2-0 victory against England in their Euro 2008 qualifier last October.

Jonathan Wilson, author of 'Behind the Curtain - Travels in Eastern European Football', has seen Da Silva's rapid rise at close quarters. Read on for his insight on Arsenal's new recruit, from Da Silva's attributes as a striker to the step up from Croatian football.

What are Eduardo's main strengths as a footballer?

"I think his finishing ability is the key thing. A good example is the Euro 2008 qualifier between Croatia and Estonia in Tallinn last month. It was one of those games where Croatia were clearly the better side but they had got a bit bogged down. Estonia had put a lot of men behind the ball, it was a frustrating game which could have ended 0-0. There had been no chances at all but suddenly the ball popped up on the edge of the box, Eduardo span and lashed it into the bottom corner before the defender had had a chance to move. It was the only goal of the game.

"That's what Eduardo gives you. He has that inventiveness and incisiveness to turn a game. A criticism levelled at Arsenal in recent seasons is that they don't make the most of their possession, they don't score as many goals as they should. Eduardo can provide that cutting edge."

How much of a step up will Premiership football be?

"It's a step up for him because Croatian football is not the best standard. The emphasis is on a different area of the game over there. Against a Premiership side a decent Croatian team would probably be muscled off the ball, but if it came down to keeping possession they would possibly win quite comfortably. The big two are Dinamo Zagreb and Hadjuk Split but there is not an awful lot below that. Zagreb had an injection of cash so they brought in Jens Nowotny and kept hold of their better players for longer."

So can he make it in England?

"The standard is lower in Croatia but Eduardo still broke the scoring record there last season and I think he can make the step up. [Croatia coach] Slaven Bilic mentioned him to me three years ago now. He said he had someone in the Under-21s who could slot into the Manchester United side without any problems, and Bilic is a very honest bloke, he would not say something like that unless he really meant it. He wasn't trying to raise his value or anything. Eduardo has scored hatfuls of goals since then and has a good record at international level with seven goals in 12 games."

That tally includes a goal against England, of course.

"Yes. He scored against England with a header when Paul Robinson was criticised for his positioning, but the more I see it I think Eduardo deserves credit because he headed the ball back across Robinson to the only place he knew it couldn't be saved. It was a more difficult header to execute but he had the intelligence to do that in a split second, he out-thought Robinson. Eduardo also scored against Italy so it shows he can prosper against very good defenders."

Are there similarities between Eduardo and Thierry Henry?

"Eduardo is certainly not like Henry, who likes to drop deep and collect the ball. He sees his role as a scorer of goals."

How do you see him fitting into the Arsenal side?

"For Croatia he plays alongside Petric, a big, awkward striker not too different to Emmanuel Adebayor. Petric tends to drift and do a lot of the physical work, winning balls in the air, like Adebayor. Croatia play with three attacking midfielders behind the front two and one holding midfielder, so Eduardo is used to have skilful midfielders behind him. Arsenal have plenty of players like that, such as Rosicky, Van Persie, Hleb and Fabregas. He is used to that way of playing.

"Some of the profiles I have read today have described Eduardo as a poacher and nothing more, but he has other qualities. He can hold the ball up, he is quite strong and compact, he can bring the ball down on his chest, he directs his headers well, he is intelligent and quick, not lightning fast but quick enough. I think he and Adebayor will work well together."

Finally, Eduardo is 25/1 to win the Premiership Golden Boot. Are you tempted to have a bet?

"I think it's a good each-way bet. He may need that bedding-in period but assuming he is first choice at Arsenal, 25/1 seems pretty generous to me. I think the only question is how to get Eduardo performing as he does now at a higher level. I think he just needs to sharpen certain skills."
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Libertine » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:39 am

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:Yeah i read that too his name is Ognjen Vukojevic...never heard of him, all i can find is he's a midfeilder, not sure whether thats central or a winger.. anyone know anything about him?

Central midfielder.
Better tackler than passer.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:52 am

Libertine wrote:
She_Gunner_Wales wrote:Yeah i read that too his name is Ognjen Vukojevic...never heard of him, all i can find is he's a midfeilder, not sure whether thats central or a winger.. anyone know anything about him?

Central midfielder.
Better tackler than passer.

ARGHHHHHH!!!! :x

WE DO NOT NEED A MIDFEILDER!!! :x
This better be tabloid BS.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby athbi90 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:00 am

The more Wenger signs players that i never heard of the happier i get.
Because Wenger has a habit of signing unknown players and they turn out to be good, take Thierry Henry for example.

And i never heard of Da Silva, except once in the Champions League.

so, yeah, I am Happy.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
athbi90
Michael Thomas

Postby ScottishLass » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:04 pm

I cant help but think he looks REALLY small and lightweight...
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby sithlordwebb72 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:01 pm

This guy looks preety cool... i have bin watching him on youtube and although not hugely reliable (as only shows his good side) he looks like a good signing... i mean at least he can head, and if he wins us 1 match this season i'll be happy (AWAY to BOLTON) GOOD LUCK to EDUARDO! Wenger I LOVE YOU!
sithlordwebb72
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby rvtheace » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:49 pm

sithlordwebb72 wrote:This guy looks preety cool... i have bin watching him on youtube and although not hugely reliable (as only shows his good side) he looks like a good signing... i mean at least he can head, and if he wins us 1 match this season i'll be happy (AWAY to BOLTON) GOOD LUCK to EDUARDO! Wenger I LOVE YOU!

I think the main youtube video out there shows every goal he scored in the league last season, which is not really a 'highlights' package. And from what I saw, he's going to score a truckload.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to World Football