Man Myth Legend ~ The Maradona

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Maradona is the new Argentina boss

Postby liam_cork » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:47 pm

this would be hilarious...
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:53 pm

Cheating ****. Someone who bundles the ball in with their hand and then publicly brags about it deserves no praise from anyone. I dont care how talented he was, he is a cheat.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Libertine » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:08 pm

Apparently he'll be installed as coach next Tuesday...

I cannot stand the bloke.
Brilliant footballer but also a drug-taking, cheating f***er.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Was in the Cruiser at lunchtime and Setatnta reckon he's been speaking to the Argentina FA. He says it is an attractive offer. Does this mean they approached him?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Diego Maradona deserves huge credit for the way he has bounced back from drug addiction and weight gain and gotten his life into better order.

However, if, as expected, he is appointed as the new head coach of the Argentina national team this week, it must still go down as one of the most surprising stories of the year.

Ever since he was introduced to cocaine in the 1980s, Maradona has been one of soccer's most controversial characters. For a spell during the middle part of this decade, it appeared as though his various lifestyle problems would drive him into an early and tragic grave.

While it is wonderful to see the slimmed-down version of arguably the greatest player ever in a better state of mental and physical condition, there must be concerns about his suitability for the Argentina job.

There will be fears that the high level of pressure and scrutiny of the position could inflame the addictive side of his personality and that his drug dependency could resurface. Even ignoring those potential issues, the 47-year-old would still be a strange choice to replace Alfio Basile, who was fired after a string of disappointing results in the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Maradona has had only two brief and unspectacular forays into coaching with Deportivo Mandiyu and Racing Club. Much could depend on the experience and know-how of the men brought in around him as assistants. His best chance of revitalizing Argentina's fortunes is by using his personality and iconic status to inspire his players and mobilize a wave of public support behind the squad.

Many of Maradona's personal problems were self-inflicted and he has made some severe errors of judgment. Yet if he gets the green light as national team coach, it would be hard not to wish success to the man whose extraordinary exploits in the 1986 World Cup single-handedly gave Argentina the title – and himself an eternal place in soccer folklore.

© http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/blog/sow_ex ... sow,118074
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ScottishLass » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Up For Grabs Now wrote:Cheating ****. Someone who bundles the ball in with their hand and then publicly brags about it deserves no praise from anyone. I dont care how talented he was, he is a cheat.

And what is your opinion of Robert Pires?
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby WelshGooner88 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:47 pm

good luck to him but this is a disaster waiting to happen
WelshGooner88
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Gunflash » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:32 pm

He'll either be brilliant through sheer force of personality and inspiration (like Klinsmann in 2006) or he'll be a disaster. Either way it'll be fun.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby damo1583 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:34 pm

Just a couple of things to remember here everyone:

1) Argentina on paper have proberbly the best side in the world.....

2) Maradona is a God over there, no proberbly higher than a God, just his apperance would motivate any of them, as long as he has a sound number 2 and some good coaches around him this could be an inspired appointment.....
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:46 am

Seriously all this shit about him being a fat coke taking c*** who handballed it. Big f***ing eal! I have never met a fat coke addcit and handball or not the mans a lege.

for insatnce if the geeenyis that is El Diego played for us and done it against that manky *** mobb we would f***ing love him. ove it. maradonas a lege.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby UFGN » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:48 am

ScottishLass wrote:
Up For Grabs Now wrote:Cheating ****. Someone who bundles the ball in with their hand and then publicly brags about it deserves no praise from anyone. I dont care how talented he was, he is a cheat.

Diving and handling the ball into the net are not even in the same ball park
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby ScottishLass » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:05 am

Up For Grabs Now wrote:
ScottishLass wrote:

Cheating is cheating - and in my book diving around 9 million times is worse than 1 hand ball.. Because he done it against you , you hate him. But even though pires dived he played for us so hes still a legend.
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:23 am

i wish he was my mate
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby UFGN » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:20 am

ScottishLass wrote:
Up For Grabs Now wrote:
ScottishLass wrote:

Cheating is cheating - and in my book diving around 9 million times is worse than 1 hand ball.. Because he done it against you , you hate him. But even though pires dived he played for us so hes still a legend.

Patting the ball into the net and then gloating about it is entirely different.

UFGN

Postby Cheese » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:30 pm

The Argies will be going down.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to World Football