2019 Women's World Cup

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: 2019 Women's World Cup

Postby LMAO » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Losmeister wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Losmeister wrote:
LMAO wrote:8 WWC appearances
5 Final appearances
3x Third Place
1x Second Place
4x World Champions

or , how do you spell DYNASTY

Not close to being as dominant as USA basketball (men & women), but I'd put our girls slightly above the All Blacks and on the level of Australia cricket.

interesting... but , also, USA doesnt play cricket or rugby really... ya think we wouldn't kill everybody at rugby if our USfootbal players played? or our baseball players played cricket... its a joke. we'd kill them.

Oh, I meant in comparison to their peers. But yeah, if we played rugby instead of football and cricket instead of baseball, we'd likely be among the world's best.

It makes me so sad when it comes to football/soccer. Look at a potential team if the sport was as popular as football and basketball. Just from NFL players:
Julio Jones
DeAndre Hopkins - Jadeveon Clowney - Myles Garrett - Jalen Ramsey
Patrick Peterson
Christian McCaffrey - Lamar Jackson
TY Hilton - Le'Veon Bell - OBJ

Those are freaks from a potential talent pool we're missing out on because football is more popular. And if I included NBA players, we could talk about Westbrook, Curry, LeBron/Kawhi in goal, Lillard, etc.

However, I'm excited for this current crop of U-21 players since they're going to Europe rather than staying in the MLS, and they're the first generation better than Mexico's youngsters imo so CONCACAF should be ours to run for the next generation. I said back in 2014 during the World Cup that we'll have the talent to be a top 10 team by 2026. Tyler Adams has the potential to be a top 3 DM in the world, and Pulisic and Weston McKennie could become world class. Josh Sargent and Tim Weah could partner with Pulisic and make a devasting front three. If our youngsters develop properly, I won't be shocked if we made a semifinal run or better on home soil in 2026.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:I reckon the USA women's team would beat the USA men's team (or at least give them a bloody good game). I'm not joking either.

No chance. It would be completely one-sided. The USMNT would annihilate the USWNT. It'd be like if Arsenal's first team played the academy team.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Emeryates » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Pulisic is your biggest star and he has similar stats to Iwobi. Let's see next season, now they're both in the Premier League.

Iwobi has also finally kicked on this season, Pulisic still has not
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Emeryates » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:10 pm

LMAO wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:I reckon the USA women's team would beat the USA men's team (or at least give them a bloody good game). I'm not joking either.

No chance. It would be completely one-sided. The USMNT would annihilate the USWNT. It'd be like if Arsenal's first team played the academy team.

Tbf, the USMNT would wonder how the women are actually able to pass to who they want.

Depends on the refereeing, if the game isn't allowed to get too physical, I'd back the USWNT
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Zenith » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:27 pm

PG, I can't believe you're even entertaining this idea. The difference in speed of execution and overall physicality is glaring.

Emeryates wrote:Depends on the refereeing, if the game isn't allowed to get too physical, I'd back the USWNT

Make it a non-contact sport and they still wouldn't stand the slightest chance.

They've proven to be a cake walk for a team of adolescent males between the age of 13 and 15 ffs.

USWNT 2-5 FC Dallas u-15
USWNT 2-8 USMNT u-17
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Losmeister » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:41 pm

LMAO wrote:

this
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:23 pm

Emeryates wrote:Pulisic is your biggest star and he has similar stats to Iwobi. Let's see next season, now they're both in the Premier League.

Pulisic is 20 and already better than Iwobi, who is 23.

Pulisic 2018-19: 7 goals, 6 assists, 1701 minutes played, responsible for a goal every 131 minutes
Iwobi 2018-19: 6 goals, 9 assists, 2839 minutes played, responsible for a goal every 189 minutes

If Iwobi starts consistently for us, then Pulisic would walk into Arsenal's starting lineup.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Emeryates » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:19 am

LMAO wrote:
Emeryates wrote:Pulisic is your biggest star and he has similar stats to Iwobi. Let's see next season, now they're both in the Premier League.

Pulisic is 20 and already better than Iwobi, who is 23.

Pulisic 2018-19: 7 goals, 6 assists, 1701 minutes played, responsible for a goal every 131 minutes
Iwobi 2018-19: 6 goals, 9 assists, 2839 minutes played, responsible for a goal every 189 minutes

If Iwobi starts consistently for us, then Pulisic would walk into Arsenal's starting lineup.

Stronger league......
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:25 am

The women's game was and is building real momentum, but let's not get carried away ... in the US games can and do attract 10,000 crowds but in the big three Europeans Leagues England, France, Germany the average attendance is still below 1,000 per game, and it's actually decreasing ...

The men's world cup attracts a world wide audience of 3.6 billion almost 50% of the population .... the women will get a massively creditable 800m (although 300m watched for less than 3 minutes) still that's very impressive.

Where the game is suffering is the backlash that players like Megan Rapinoe bring with their non-football antics - the it's all about me posturing is a massive viewer turn off, go to any media outlet and look at the coverage and the comments section .... the brilliant achievement of the US TEAM is totally overshadowed by the antics of the one, and that's a crying shame

Is Rapinoe wrong for grabbing her moment in the sun? ... probably not ... does it help women's football? ... definitely not

I predict that the incredible achievement of back-to-back world cup wins will become a footnote in the US Trump agenda as a visit / non-visit to the White House by a certain pink haired superstar grabs all the headlines - hope I'm wrong politics and sport shouldn't mix, but we all know that they do .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Losmeister » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:19 am

" players like Megan Rapinoe bring with their non-football antics "

not even close to what neymar did by rolling around like a f***ing pussy
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:38 am

Losmeister wrote:" players like Megan Rapinoe bring with their non-football antics "

not even close to what neymar did by rolling around like a f***ing pussy

Too fvcking right.

I wish ACL tears on all diving pussies.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Emeryates » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 am

Pretty sure Rapinoe made MAGA supporters who hate the USWNT watch just hoping they'd lose
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am

EliteKiller wrote:The women's game was and is building real momentum, but let's not get carried away ... in the US games can and do attract 10,000 crowds but in the big three Europeans Leagues England, France, Germany the average attendance is still below 1,000 per game, and it's actually decreasing ...

The men's world cup attracts a world wide audience of 3.6 billion almost 50% of the population .... the women will get a massively creditable 800m (although 300m watched for less than 3 minutes) still that's very impressive.

Where the game is suffering is the backlash that players like Megan Rapinoe bring with their non-football antics - the it's all about me posturing is a massive viewer turn off, go to any media outlet and look at the coverage and the comments section .... the brilliant achievement of the US TEAM is totally overshadowed by the antics of the one, and that's a crying shame

Is Rapinoe wrong for grabbing her moment in the sun? ... probably not ... does it help women's football? ... definitely not

I predict that the incredible achievement of back-to-back world cup wins will become a footnote in the US Trump agenda as a visit / non-visit to the White House by a certain pink haired superstar grabs all the headlines - hope I'm wrong politics and sport shouldn't mix, but we all know that they do .....

What did she do that was so wrong? I still don't understand the hate for her. We all know how the media is and how they will grab onto any little thing and sensationalize it, this is just another attempt to do with Rapinoe. All she did was make a comment about the white house months before this tournament started, the media decides to recycle the quote right when the tournament started to stir up some controversy of course. What else has she done to make people believe that she thinks it's all about her? Other players have said, even before trump that they didn't want to visit the white house. Why is it now such a big deal that a Lesbian feminist says it? Plus people ask them these questions, they don't just come out hold their own press conference and decide to start trouble, they're just being truthful. I wouldn't visit the white house either to be honest. I've already been there, it's just a big fancy house and you can't touch anything in it, pretty boring! Ha!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:59 am

Zenith wrote:Can't really compare because hundreds of participating women in this WWC aren't even established professionals due to lack of funding/exposure.

More than half a dozen of European countries lost out on WWC because competition for places is 100 times fiercer than in is the case in, for example, Asia.

Belgium, who failed to qualify, put 6 past the same Thailand that got trashed by the USA 2 weeks later.

It's why the level of play at the Euros is significantly higher than at the WWC - even without the likes of USA and Brazil participating.

This is true though. People need to remember that the womens world cup just started in the 90's. The USA women, culture wise have just had a head start on most nations especially the under developed ones. We've just had the better opportunities to have the womans game evolve here, so that is part of the reason why we are so far ahead of many of the other countries. They are slowly starting to catch up though, and I think it's great. I enjoyed watching this cup tbh.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:21 pm

StLGooner wrote:What did she do that was so wrong? I still don't understand the hate for her. We all know how the media is and how they will grab onto any little thing and sensationalize it, this is just another attempt to do with Rapinoe. All she did was make a comment about the white house months before this tournament started, the media decides to recycle the quote right when the tournament started to stir up some controversy of course. What else has she done to make people believe that she thinks it's all about her? Other players have said, even before trump that they didn't want to visit the white house. Why is it now such a big deal that a Lesbian feminist says it? Plus people ask them these questions, they don't just come out hold their own press conference and decide to start trouble, they're just being truthful. I wouldn't visit the white house either to be honest. I've already been there, it's just a big fancy house and you can't touch anything in it, pretty boring! Ha!

Not that fussed about the white house, who she sleeps with, what her feminist beliefs are ... but would much rather she talked about football than just about everything else ... feel exactly the same when male players start giving their opinions on everything from shopping to aliens ... but by far my biggest gripe is the constant "we deserve the same as the men" ... why?

Does Mustafi earn the same as Auba? does a lower league professional earn the same as Messi? You earn what you're worth, get an agent fight your corner, and then get paid what the market says you're worth, pretty much the same as in any other job ... the reason nobody signs women players for 100m is because today there is no billion dollar industry to support that, exactly the same logic applies to wages

Who knows one day there will be a billion dollar women's league, or one day we'll see combined football teams, but until then to say "we deserve it" is just arrogant ... and to repeat it over and over well that's just bloody annoying
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to World Football