Sven Mislintat

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Sven Mislintat

Postby Zenith » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Even though Sven gets talked about a lot, he didn't have a thread yet.

Sven Mislintat - one of Europe’s most respected player recruitment experts - is joining us from Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund.

He is credited with creating the pipeline of young talent at Dortmund which has produced the likes of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Shinji Kagawa and Ousmane Dembele.

Sven has been at Dortmund for 10 years and becomes our head of recruitment with responsibilities across the first team and academy. He starts in December and will work closely with manager Arsène Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis, plus other coaches, the background analytics team and our global scouting network.

Arsène Wenger said: “We are delighted that Sven is joining us. Identifying and developing talent is a core part of our philosophy and Sven has an outstanding track record over many years. We look forward to him taking our existing recruitment approach forwards.”

Meanwhile our long-serving chief scout Steve Rowley, who has been responsible for unearthing many talents over his 25 years of employment with the club, has stood down from his role but will continue to maintain his relationship and support us with ad hoc scouting on a consultancy basis.

Wenger said, “We would like to thank Steve Rowley for all his hard work over many years for the club. He has been a key figure in our recruitment of so many top players and has travelled thousands and thousands of miles, watching hundreds of games for us during his time at the club. We wish him well for the future.”

https://www.arsenal.com/news/sven-misli ... ecruitment
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Re: Sven Mislintat

Postby Zenith » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:48 am

11Freunde/Arseblog

Mislintat on his Arsenal exit and the Gunners new recruitment policy

After leaving his post as Arsenal’s head of recruitment in February, Sven Mislintat has done the diligent thing and kept his counsel.

It’s well known that the German, nicknamed ‘Diamond Eye’, was in line for the technical director position while Ivan Gazidis was at the club but when our former CEO left for AC Milan, Raul Sanllehi and Vinai Venkatesham decided to implement their own plan. They initially tried to recruit Monchi from AS Roma before getting their hands on Edu, who started in the role last week.

Mislintat, who scouted the likes of Robert Lewandowski, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Shinji Kagawa, Mats Hummels, Ousmane Dembele, Christian Pulisic and Jadon Sancho while at Borussia Dortmund, was linked with a number of high-profile clubs but eventually accepted an offer from VfB Stuttgart.

The 46-year-old’s decision raised a few eyebrows given Stuttgart were in the process of being relegated from the Bundesliga, but he has no regrets. In fact, he’s very excited about the chance to stamp his mark on the Mercedes Benz Arena outfit.

In an interview with 11Freunde, the best bits of which have been kindly translated for us by @LGAmbrose, Sven reflected on his time at the Emirates and his reason for leaving while also sharing a couple of other tasty morsels, including info on Sanllehi’s preferred means of doing business.

After 12 years at BVB, ultimately as ‘head of professional football’, then 15 months at Arsenal as ‘head of recruitment’, are you finally on the frontline, even if it is in the second tier?

Yes. In Dortmund, I prepared many decisions for (sporting director) Michael Zorc to the extent that he just had to sign them off, but of course, the responsibility ultimately lay with him and (chief executive) Aki Watzke. At Arsenal, I was already fully responsible for transfers, as there was no sporting director. But in England it isn’t usual [for the sporting director] to sit on the bench, so you’re much less visible.

That actually sounds rather comfortable, why did you leave London?

Last summer there were leadership changes at Arsenal. It had actually been agreed that I would become technical director, so then I would be around the team on a daily basis. But the new leadership had their own agenda and other candidates. On top of that, we had different approaches.

Like what?

Previously we had a strong systematic approach to transfers, a mixture of watching things live as well as quality data and video analysis – Arsenal actually owns their own data company. That meant that we acted independently, we knew about all markets and players in all positions that came into question. However, the new leadership work more strongly with what they are offered from clubs or agents through their own networks.

Instead of Barcelona or Man City, you’re now dealing with the likes of Kiel and Regensburg. Does that not feel like a step down?

Not at all. It’s the final step in my professional career, and being allowed to build a team gives me a lot of motivation. To be sporting director at a club like Stuttgart is a huge honour. I found the time at Arsenal superb but when we get 60,000 fans in the stadium at Stuttgart, it’s louder than the Emirates. How our fans supported us in the relegation play-off, despite the complete acoustic power of Union Berlin, was crazy. When there’s such a fan culture, you can’t say I’ve come to a smaller club.

Nonetheless, you’ve left the top table of the football world.

It’s just as enjoyable for me to get a Jadon Sancho from Man City or a Dan-Axel Zagadou from PSG as it is to get Atakan Karazor from Kiel or Mateo Klimowicz from Instituto Cordoba, I see huge potential to develop from them. Other than the league we are in, I see our situation similarly to Dortmund in 2006. We couldn’t buy from the top shelf then. Even with Arsenal, to start with, there was a mixed strategy. On the one hand, we signed experienced players like Sokratis and Aubameyang, who won the golden boot, and alongside them, we signed big young talents like Lucas Torreira and Mateo Guendouzi, who have enormous potential.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:23 am

Kind of a bullshit interview, every question basically a variation of "B-b-but now you're in the German 2nd division?!?" And I say this as someone who's obviously not a Sven cultist that attributes all our good transfers to him and lays all the bad ones at Emery's feet.

Good luck to him. These seem like pretty canned responses, but I hope he continues with his passion for developing players.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:33 am

Zenith wrote:11Freunde/Arseblog

Mislintat on his Arsenal exit and the Gunners new recruitment policy

After leaving his post as Arsenal’s head of recruitment in February, Sven Mislintat has done the diligent thing and kept his counsel.

It’s well known that the German, nicknamed ‘Diamond Eye’, was in line for the technical director position while Ivan Gazidis was at the club but when our former CEO left for AC Milan, Raul Sanllehi and Vinai Venkatesham decided to implement their own plan. They initially tried to recruit Monchi from AS Roma before getting their hands on Edu, who started in the role last week.

Mislintat, who scouted the likes of Robert Lewandowski, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Shinji Kagawa, Mats Hummels, Ousmane Dembele, Christian Pulisic and Jadon Sancho while at Borussia Dortmund, was linked with a number of high-profile clubs but eventually accepted an offer from VfB Stuttgart.

The 46-year-old’s decision raised a few eyebrows given Stuttgart were in the process of being relegated from the Bundesliga, but he has no regrets. In fact, he’s very excited about the chance to stamp his mark on the Mercedes Benz Arena outfit.

In an interview with 11Freunde, the best bits of which have been kindly translated for us by @LGAmbrose, Sven reflected on his time at the Emirates and his reason for leaving while also sharing a couple of other tasty morsels, including info on Sanllehi’s preferred means of doing business.

After 12 years at BVB, ultimately as ‘head of professional football’, then 15 months at Arsenal as ‘head of recruitment’, are you finally on the frontline, even if it is in the second tier?

Yes. In Dortmund, I prepared many decisions for (sporting director) Michael Zorc to the extent that he just had to sign them off, but of course, the responsibility ultimately lay with him and (chief executive) Aki Watzke. At Arsenal, I was already fully responsible for transfers, as there was no sporting director. But in England it isn’t usual [for the sporting director] to sit on the bench, so you’re much less visible.

That actually sounds rather comfortable, why did you leave London?

Last summer there were leadership changes at Arsenal. It had actually been agreed that I would become technical director, so then I would be around the team on a daily basis. But the new leadership had their own agenda and other candidates. On top of that, we had different approaches.

Like what?

Previously we had a strong systematic approach to transfers, a mixture of watching things live as well as quality data and video analysis – Arsenal actually owns their own data company. That meant that we acted independently, we knew about all markets and players in all positions that came into question. However, the new leadership work more strongly with what they are offered from clubs or agents through their own networks.

Instead of Barcelona or Man City, you’re now dealing with the likes of Kiel and Regensburg. Does that not feel like a step down?

Not at all. It’s the final step in my professional career, and being allowed to build a team gives me a lot of motivation. To be sporting director at a club like Stuttgart is a huge honour. I found the time at Arsenal superb but when we get 60,000 fans in the stadium at Stuttgart, it’s louder than the Emirates. How our fans supported us in the relegation play-off, despite the complete acoustic power of Union Berlin, was crazy. When there’s such a fan culture, you can’t say I’ve come to a smaller club.

Nonetheless, you’ve left the top table of the football world.

It’s just as enjoyable for me to get a Jadon Sancho from Man City or a Dan-Axel Zagadou from PSG as it is to get Atakan Karazor from Kiel or Mateo Klimowicz from Instituto Cordoba, I see huge potential to develop from them. Other than the league we are in, I see our situation similarly to Dortmund in 2006. We couldn’t buy from the top shelf then. Even with Arsenal, to start with, there was a mixed strategy. On the one hand, we signed experienced players like Sokratis and Aubameyang, who won the golden boot, and alongside them, we signed big young talents like Lucas Torreira and Mateo Guendouzi, who have enormous potential.

We let the one guy leave that could have dragged us out of this situation on a tiny budget.

How f***ing dunce is this administration.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:26 am

Really interested to see how Stuttgart do this season. Sven has signed several interesting palyers for them already
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:40 am

alexafc12 wrote:Really interested to see how Stuttgart do this season. Sven has signed several interesting palyers for them already

Same. Obvs things wont change immediately, but itll be interesting to track their progress over the next 3-4 years if he stays.

He has full control of recruitment so it will be pretty easy to see how his influence translates
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 am

Really wish we’d kept him, felt like he was key to pushing us back to the top.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Godlop » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:04 am

Oh what could've been. Instead we decided to go for the guy that "knows some agents".
This is how incompetent Josh Kroenke is.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby swipe right » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:16 am

Heralded as a great talent spotter. Let’s see how his signings made out. He was in charge from Dec 2018 to Feb 2019. In that time we bought.

Success:
Auba
Leno
Tierney

Flop:
Pepe
Mavrapanos
Mkhitaryan
Sokratis
Denis Suárez
Stephan Lichtsteiner
Saliba

TBD:
Lucas Torreira
Mattéo Guendouzi
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:17 pm

Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:25 pm

At least he got the first part right:

“‘He only knows Dortmund players’, that was the take, I know.” said the current Stuttgart sporting director. “But that can’t influence your decisions.

“Let’s start with Auba: Arsenal's captain. No need to talk about it. His statistics since he joined the Premier League stands for itself.

"He’s still got the most goals and assists since in a team that scores fewer goals than the other top teams. He was massively important for Arsenal's FA Cup win with his quality and goals.

Sokratis as a mentor for Mavropanos was lol-worthy.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Return to World Football