2018/19 UEFA Europa League Discussion Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Europa League 2018/19

Postby Phil71 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:24 pm

It's not just about logistics.

Football has a responsibility toward its fans. All of them.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Phil71 wrote:It's not just about logistics.

Exactly so why shouldn't a country with a different culture to the west have a world cup? Are they not football fans?

Or is this once again the arrogance of the west thinking everyone should be like them?

Racism is an issue but ive not heard anything about it coming from Azerbaijan or Qatar.

Only problem from the Qatar World cup is its in december ffs
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:35 pm

If football fans going to a game can get prosecuted for their sexuality/ethnicity then they shouldn’t be able to host the game

Just because it’s ‘a different culture’ it doesn’t mean discrimination is acceptable
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Phil71 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Ach wrote:

Exactly so why shouldn't a country with a different culture to the west have a world cup? Are they not football fans?

Or is this once again the arrogance of the west thinking everyone should be like them?

Racism is an issue but ive not heard anything about it coming from Azerbaijan or Qatar.

It's not arrogant to expect equal rights for homosexuals.

It's called being civilised, progressive and inclusive. All the things Qatar is not.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Ach wrote:

It's called being civilised, modern, progressive and inclusive. All the things Qatar is not.

Didn't realise you had been there to say what they are or are not

Ive never been so wouldn't know so I bow down to your knowledge
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StLGooner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:53 pm

Yeah, how dare the west try to stand up for equality and then have the gull to want other countries to do the same. :rolleyes:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Ach wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Ach wrote:

It's called being civilised, modern, progressive and inclusive. All the things Qatar is not.

Didn't realise you had been there to say what they are or are not

Ive never been so wouldn't know so I bow down to your knowledge

I have never visited there, and nor do I have the inclination to.

Their laws and cultural attitudes are well publicised.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pudpop » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:55 pm

I would agree with Cripps if any of this was even remotely western. Civil rights isn't a western concept. It's a human concept. Plenty of people all over the world in different cultures in agreement.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:33 pm

The direct consequence of the final being in Baku is that if we get to it I do not want to go even if I could get a ticket.

That simply isn't fair.

Saying keep politics and sport separate is just words.

The reality is we do have a lot of gay fans who either wont feel safe going there or simply don't wish to spend their money there
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby BrunelGooner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:41 pm

StLGooner wrote:Yeah, how dare the west try to stand up for equality and then have the gull to want other countries to do the same. :rolleyes:

This is the same West that have destabilised the entire Middle East and Africa due to 'intervention' and colonialism, under the false pretences of democracy, liberation and human rights? Heh. Right.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby UFGN » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:52 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Yeah, how dare the west try to stand up for equality and then have the gull to want other countries to do the same. :rolleyes:

This is the same West that have destabilised the entire Middle East and Africa due to 'intervention' and colonialism, under the false pretences of democracy, liberation and human rights? Heh. Right.

Every excuse in book has been used to exploit and extract oil

Just because its previously been hijacked doesn't make Civil Rights an unjust cause now
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Ach » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:54 pm

Sims wrote:If football fans going to a game can get prosecuted for their sexuality/ethnicity then they shouldn’t be able to host the game

Just because it’s ‘a different culture’ it doesn’t mean discrimination is acceptable

Never been to a game and had a stadium worker ask me about my sexuality. No one in the stadium knows what I am. I'm assuming it's the same in Baku. I don't know. Phil is our resident Azerbaijan expert apparently so he might know.

If I whip my cock out and start f***ing a guy in the stadium or even a woman for that matter, I'd expect to be arrested. No different here then it is in Baku I imagine.

People going to the final will be there for a day or 2. If you can't keep it in your pants for that long then you have bigger problems than the culture of Baku.

Are they or other countries perfect? Hell no. Are the West? Contrary to what people think we aren't.

Go to a country then respect their culture. If you aren't capable then don't go. This isn't rocket science.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StLGooner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:01 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:

Are you on the side of people not supporting equality? If so, then maybe you don't need to say much. Nor just come in and change the whole subject. :rolleyes:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Ach wrote:
Sims wrote:If football fans going to a game can get prosecuted for their sexuality/ethnicity then they shouldn’t be able to host the game

Never been to a game and had a stadium worker ask me about my sexuality. No one in the stadium knows what I am. I'm assuming it's the same in Baku. I don't know. Phil is our resident Azerbaijan expert apparently so he might know.

If I whip my cock out and start f***ing a guy in the stadium or even a woman for that matter, I'd expect to be arrested. No different here then it is in Baku I imagine.

People going to the final will be there for a day or 2. If you can't keep it in your pants for that long then you have bigger problems than the culture of Baku.

Are they or other countries perfect? Hell no. Are the West? Contrary to what people think we aren't.

Go to a country then respect their culture. If you aren't capable then don't go. This isn't rocket science.

Wrong! Just because it's part of the culture of that country doesn't mean you have to respect it. If it's part of a countries culture to rape children, obviously we don't have to respect that. Now of course if you don't like that culture then I'd refrain from going if you can, but not everyone goes to a country because they want to. Sometimes you have to go for work/business.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BrunelGooner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:23 pm

StLGooner wrote:
BrunelGooner wrote:

Are you on the side of people not supporting equality? If so, then maybe you don't need to say much. Nor just come in and change the whole subject. :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is I find it hypocritical that you are putting the West on a pedestal when it comes to morality and social cohesion when they are not. You are acting as if western countries don't have issues with homophobia, xenophobia or racism either.

Let's not be one-sided about this issue please. If you are going to criticise gulf countries for their human rights abuses - which you are perfectly entitled to do - don't pretend like western countries are bastions of hope.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to World Football