2018/19 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Who will win the UCL?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am

Atletico Madrid
11%
Barcelona
37%
Bayern Munich
5%
Juventus
21%
Liverpool
11%
Manchester City
5%
Manchester United
5%
Napoli
No votes
Paris Saint-Germain
No votes
Real Madrid
No votes
Young Boys
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes : 19

Re: Champions League 2018-19

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:59 pm

north bank gooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
north bank gooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:It still pisses me off that we let our team degrade badly for a decade whilst Wenger and the board lied about how the stadium loan meant we could not spend. All the while we let Spurs build and catch us. Now we're chasing them and we're not very close.

We must go back to project youth.

Ironically, Wenger's ideas from 2006-2011 would yield more success today than it did then. That period had stacked sides, world-class sides: Barca, Chelsea, ManU, Bayern, Milan, Inter, Real. Liverpool under Rafa was a different kettle of fish. City were emerging. Dortmund under Klopp was a giant-killer.

Today, there's only one world class team and it's City in comparison (and Real Madrid until last season). Take Messi out from Barca and they're the Spanish Arsenal. Liverpool have a world class front three and a world class defense this season, but a so-so midfield. Same with Juve. Bayern have an aging squad and have lost a bit of their identity.

The way forward isn't as bleak but we need to be smart and strategic, which is where it becomes bleak. We needed Mislintat for that reason. We need to go back to working with young players, playing attacking free-flowing football, and opting for tactical purchases as we did last decade. We have more money now than we did then, however, I'm not sure if we have proper men in positions upstairs to be able to actualize this scheme.

:clap:

When times change, you get with the program but the people running Arsenal Football Club are always a few years to slow. Bar Real Madrid (possibly PSG and Bayern too), I can see English clubs dominating Europe for many years to come but I'm worried we won't be part of this group because of the club's recent history with making decisions that benefit us on the pitch.

Wrt Wenger, I truly sympathize with him sometimes. When you look at clubs like Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Real Madrid, and Manchester United during Wenger's time compared to now and then you factor in that we were paying off a stadium with no shareholder financing, it's incredible to me how the club didn't capitulate sooner. The one wish I could make for Wenger, if I could, would have been for him to be a better coach during the latter part of his managerial career with us which probably would have made his job much easier and most likely would have ended in the club winning better honors.

Kroenke has been on board for a large part of the time that we have been playing in the new stadium (2007 was his initial investment). It really doesn't boil down to competing with the big boys financially, it's as much the ambition of the owner to put his hand in his pockets to fund transfers, which he has never done.

Kroenke's Mrs is the heiress to the Walmart fortune, she is worth an absolute fortune. If as a family they wanted to invest in the club in a much more proactive manner we would be competing with the Manure's, City, Barca's, RM's of this world trust me.

That's what fucks me off more than anything about our noisy neighbours, they have funded a state of the art stadium and become more competitive in the league and CL than they were 5 years ago. We have gone backwards despite having pretty much paid for our stadium now.

I have no sympathy for Wenger, if he had any integrity about him he would have left years ago admitting he couldn't work under the constraints that have been imposed by the Kroenke regime.

I get the Wenger part, but I think Wenger really thought he was doing what was best for the club. He took all the blame for the lack of ambition from the board and owner and put all that on his shoulders. In hindsight yes, it ended up being part of our current downfall, but I don't blame Wenger for trying to do what I believe he thought was best. He could have been selfish and pointed the fingers elsewhere and also just flat out left the club. Maybe that would have helped us, who knows, but like I said I do believe he was trying to do what he thought was best. Hard to blame him for that.

And I'm not sticking up for him in the sense that I think he still should be manager, I do still believe he needed to go.

But that was the problem with Wenger tbh. He did what HE thought was best for the club and essentially ran everything from coaching right through to transfer dealings.

In a modern day football club, that is an impossible job. When David Dein left the club our transfer strategy apart from being blighted by a lack of funds was bordering on the comical. I mean the Suarez debacle was a perfect example, any half decent offer and we would have got our man. I accept that eventually, Barca would have come calling but we would have made some serious profit on that transfer.

Wenger left the club with a team half full of duds. I mean what was going through his mind when he signed the likes of Chamakh and Sanogo amongst many other shit players.

Sanogo and Chamakh were free transfers. Tbf, they were worth a punt considering the general opinion of the players before they joined us
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby gamechannel » Thu May 09, 2019 4:50 pm

I find it amusing when supposed True Gooners on those site give out certificates to other posters deciding whether they're Gooners or not.

I have supported Arsenal for 25 years. I am no Fairweather fan who jumped on the bandwagon. I have cried, laughed, celebrated and felt the pain with the club through the years. I have invested my time, money, emotions into supporting this club. But just because I'd prefer Tottenham to beat Liverpool because my hate for Liverpool, their arrogant fans, their obnoxious manager and their overrated stars is more than my disdain for Tottenham, doesn't make me any less of an Arsenal fan. Sure I live abroad and don't get involved in the local NLD banter, but that does not give anyone on this site the authority to term me and fans like myself non-arsenal fans.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Jack The Ripper » Thu May 09, 2019 4:58 pm

our owner doesn't even know the difference between Europe League and Champions League, he doesn't even know its a different competition. He has only heard of the FA Cup. He doesn't know what the carabao cup is either, he is not a football fan and doesn't watch games, only FA cup he has ever watched.
Jack The Ripper
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm

He's an investor, that was apparent (at least for me) from day one. But he owns the NFL team that was so dishonestly taken from us here, so I already had experienced what type of owner he was.

I'll be honest though, I didn't think he'd be this bad.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Thu May 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Angelito wrote:Barsenal

Arsenal have never won a home leg 3-0 and not gone through
Arsenal have never won a home leg 3-1 and not gone through
Arsenal have never won a home leg 2-0 and not gone through
Arsenal have never won a home leg 1-0 and not gone through
Arsenal have never drawn a home leg 0-0 and not gone through
All these have been after playing the home leg first
Barcelona not going through v Liverpool is on them and them alone
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 09, 2019 5:16 pm

starmandb wrote:
Angelito wrote:Barsenal

Arsenal have never won a home leg 3-0 and not gone through
Arsenal have never won a home leg 3-1 and not gone through
Arsenal have never won a home leg 2-0 and not gone through
Arsenal have never won a home leg 1-0 and not gone through
Arsenal have never drawn a home leg 0-0 and not gone through
All these have been after playing the home leg first
Barcelona not going through v Liverpool is on them and them alone

This just tells my pessimistic side that we're about due to let that happen then. :hiding: :(
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby elkanofan » Thu May 09, 2019 5:47 pm

This meltdown we are seeing because of Spurs reaching the UCL final is the wake up call we need to get back to the summit where we belong!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 09, 2019 6:05 pm

elkanofan wrote:This meltdown we are seeing because of Spurs reaching the UCL final is the wake up call we need to get back to the summit where we belong!

Lets hope it wakes the right people up that can actually do something about it though. :pray:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby north bank gooner » Thu May 09, 2019 6:34 pm

gamechannel wrote:I find it amusing when supposed True Gooners on those site give out certificates to other posters deciding whether they're Gooners or not.

I have supported Arsenal for 25 years. I am no Fairweather fan who jumped on the bandwagon. I have cried, laughed, celebrated and felt the pain with the club through the years. I have invested my time, money, emotions into supporting this club. But just because I'd prefer Tottenham to beat Liverpool because my hate for Liverpool, their arrogant fans, their obnoxious manager and their overrated stars is more than my disdain for Tottenham, doesn't make me any less of an Arsenal fan. Sure I live abroad and don't get involved in the local NLD banter, but that does not give anyone on this site the authority to term me and fans like myself non-arsenal fans.

Sorry, if you honestly want to be taken seriously then it's not even a consideration.

You're not a supporter unless you go to the games live. Otherwise, you are a fan. Come to the Arsenal vs Tottenham game next year go round the pubs and tell the locals you hate Liverpool more than you hate Tottenham.

After you've been laughed out of the bar, then try the same in the stadium. You will be looked at as if you are some sort of Alien from Mars.

It really bothers me that fans try to dilute what being a gooner is all about. As I said earlier, it should be in your DNA to hate the spuds more than any other football team. Period.
Arsenal fans who hate other clubs more than Tottenham? Really!!
north bank gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Dejan » Thu May 09, 2019 7:12 pm

gamechannel wrote:I find it amusing when supposed True Gooners on those site give out certificates to other posters deciding whether they're Gooners or not.

Agree

Its embarrassing

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Thu May 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Dejan wrote:

Agree

Its embarrassing

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Come live in London for a year and try to have a normal convo with a typical spurs fan.

You'll get it then.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu May 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Tbf there is no reason to ever converse with a Spurs fan.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Zedie » Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Tbf there is no reason to ever converse with a Spurs fan.

They've infiltrated my family (missus side of course).

At work.

In my inner circle of friends.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby indy23 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:13 pm

That serial finals loser klopp can't lose this.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby goonerj08 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:22 am

I have seen some Arsenal fans saying they’d prefer Sp*rs winning it as they cannot stand Liverpool getting another CL.

Are you out of your f***ing mind?! Who calls themselves a gooner and wants Sp*rs to be the European champions?
goonerj08
Patrick Vieira

PreviousNext

Return to World Football