2018/19 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Who will win the UCL?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am

Atletico Madrid
11%
Barcelona
37%
Bayern Munich
5%
Juventus
21%
Liverpool
11%
Manchester City
5%
Manchester United
5%
Napoli
No votes
Paris Saint-Germain
No votes
Real Madrid
No votes
Young Boys
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes : 19

Re: Champions League 2018-19

Postby Zedie » Sun May 12, 2019 9:06 am

goonerj08 wrote:I have seen some Arsenal fans saying they’d prefer Sp*rs winning it as they cannot stand Liverpool getting another CL.

Are you out of your f***ing mind?! Who calls themselves a gooner and wants Sp*rs to be the European champions?

Trolls or fans that simply dont understand 150 years of rivalry and being born around it 24/7
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun May 12, 2019 11:37 am

alexafc12 wrote:If spurs win Unai has to walk.

So if Spur win a competition that Arsenal were not in the Arsenal manager has to walk?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sun May 12, 2019 11:39 am

Sims wrote:Spurs 90 mins away from topping our entire clubs achievements

Just like Aston villa , Nottingham forest and Chelsea have ?
Really do need a history book
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Sun May 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Mike Dean wrote:
Emeryates wrote:
Sims wrote:Spurs 90 mins away from topping our entire clubs achievements

How is one Champions League worth numerous league titles and FA Cups?

lol FA cups in CL champion discussion...

One CL trophy trumps them all.

League titles also in discussion
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Sun May 12, 2019 12:44 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:This is turning out to be the worst season ever. I don't f***ing believe it.

I take it you don't remember 75/76?
Winning 2 away games all season
One in August one in February
Drawing 0-0 at Spurs in a game so bad that one newspaper left where the report should have been blank
We lost 2-0 at home to them as well
Out the league cup in our first round home to Everton
Going out the fa cup at Wolves 3-0
The same wolves who were relegated that season
And it was only a 2-1 home win against them with 3 games left of the season
We went on to lose them all
That secured our status in the first division
We finished 17th
starmandb

Postby Angelito » Sun May 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Barcelona's second-highest scorer in their last two Champions League campaigns is 'Own Goal'

Barcelona's last two seasons in the Champions League have been memorable for all the wrong reasons.

The Blaugrana have crashed out of Europe's premier competition in dramatic style the last two years running, with three-goal leads blown in each.

In 2017/18, Barca arrived in Rome with a healthy 4-1 advantage, but managed to lose 3-0 to Roma.

And on Tuesday night, Ernesto Valverde's side were on the receiving end of one of the most devastating Champions League performances ever seen as Liverpool thrashed them 4-0 at Anfield.

Barca had won 3-0 in the Nou Camp six days previously, but were second-best in every department to Jurgen Klopp's side on Merseyside.

The only player on the pitch for the La Liga champions who seemed to have any idea was Lionel Messi, who created a number of chances to kill the tie.

Messi also missed three good chances to score himself, with Alisson Becker thwarting the Argentine.

In the aftermath, Barca's talisman has been criticised, but there is a school of thought that he is pretty much doing it all on his own in Europe.

And the club's scoring stats from the last two seasons in the Champions League do not make for pretty reading for everyone bar Messi.

That's because 'own-goal' is actually their second top scorer in the competition over the last two years on six.

BARCA'S CL SCORERS

Messi - 18

Own Goal - 6

Dembele - 4

Coutinho - 3

Pique - 3

Suarez & Rakitic - 2

Digne, Alcacer, Rafinha, Malcom & Alba - 1
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Liverpool vs Spurs CL final

Arsenal vs Chelsea EL final

No way this has happened before right?

No the closest was 2of emerys Europa league wins with Sevilla came in 14 and 16 when there were atletico v Real Madrid champions league finals
starmandb

Postby Zenith » Sun May 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Angelito wrote:Barcelona's second-highest scorer in their last two Champions League campaigns is 'Own Goal'

Barcelona's last two seasons in the Champions League have been memorable for all the wrong reasons.

The Blaugrana have crashed out of Europe's premier competition in dramatic style the last two years running, with three-goal leads blown in each.

In 2017/18, Barca arrived in Rome with a healthy 4-1 advantage, but managed to lose 3-0 to Roma.

And on Tuesday night, Ernesto Valverde's side were on the receiving end of one of the most devastating Champions League performances ever seen as Liverpool thrashed them 4-0 at Anfield.

Barca had won 3-0 in the Nou Camp six days previously, but were second-best in every department to Jurgen Klopp's side on Merseyside.

The only player on the pitch for the La Liga champions who seemed to have any idea was Lionel Messi, who created a number of chances to kill the tie.

Messi also missed three good chances to score himself, with Alisson Becker thwarting the Argentine.

In the aftermath, Barca's talisman has been criticised, but there is a school of thought that he is pretty much doing it all on his own in Europe.

And the club's scoring stats from the last two seasons in the Champions League do not make for pretty reading for everyone bar Messi.

That's because 'own-goal' is actually their second top scorer in the competition over the last two years on six.

BARCA'S CL SCORERS

Messi - 18

Own Goal - 6

Dembele - 4

Coutinho - 3

Pique - 3

Suarez & Rakitic - 2

Digne, Alcacer, Rafinha, Malcom & Alba - 1

:rofll:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby starmandb » Sun May 12, 2019 7:53 pm

north bank gooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Dejan wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
admmasters wrote:
Sims wrote:People who prefer Spurs to win it over Liverpool

You aren’t actual Arsenal fans

Sorry to break it to you lot

True.

We need to look at this as a kick up the backside and a reality check. Spurs for years where our little bitch, our local whipping boy and look how its made them grow.

We need to think like a big club! We need to look at other big clubs and how they rise above their rivals! How they get our house in order. Tomorrow we must get the result. We must win the Europa to see how much work we have to do.

tbh if you are outside of the UK you have no real reason to hate spurs because you wont really get to experience the rivalry. Since I have never experienced the rivalry myself I dont really hate spurs, they are just neutral to me. I can only hate a certain club if they have a team full of W****rs or do something against my beliefs of what football should be

Hate both clubs fro manchester the most. the c***

This.

Would suck if they win because that'd be another London club to win the CL before Arsenal, but I wouldn't commit seppuku over it. I just don't understand the sheer bitterness as a foreign fan, and I never will unless I found myself living in London for an extended period of time.

The only clubs I truly hate are Barca (ingrained into me from birth) and clubs like Chelsea, City, and PSG (financial doping from blood money).

I am going to rock the boat only a few posts into my Goonersworld existence.

Anyone who considers themselves a Gooner, should have it ingrained into their DNA to hate the spuds. It doesn't matter where you live.

I am astonished that anyone that calls themselves an Arsenal fan could hate Chelski more?

That's the problem with the modern day football fan because invariably they aren't from the area that their club is based, they really don't understand what it means to support that club.

Football has lost its soul over the last 20 years. I used to enjoy watching Arsenal as a mid-table team in the 80s before GG turned up miles more than I do today. One of the worst things that has happened to the match day atmosphere is football tourists more interested in taking selfies than creating an atmosphere in the ground.

I can't for one moment deny how you felt about watching Arsenal before george graham
But personally I cannot share it
There were seasons like 82/83 when hope sprung on the signing of woodcock and chapman( chapman flopped, woodcock was unlucky to have played in an average side)
Losing at Stoke on the opening day of the season wearing our brand new green away kit( stopping in the services
Fellow gunners were looking at me wearing it perplexed) can you imagine a time now where a new kit could be so under the radar?
Losing 5-2 at home to spartak moscow( 8-4 on aggregate having been 2-0 up over there in the first leg)
Being in the old press box at white hart lane behind glass watching( but not hearing ) Spurs fans celebrate a 5-0 win
Losing both domestic cup semi finals to man Utd ( never made it to villa park. Car conked out at Swiss Cottage)
24,000 over the Arsenal
But to make out it was a cauldron of noise or unconditional loving support is a real use of the rose tinted glasses
I loved going Arsenal
But it was shit not winning things
Loved it when George took over
Loved the first 12 years of wengers reign
Listen trophys is the oxygen of this great club
That's in my DNA
3rd generation gunner with a 5 th on the way
Old Spurs dislike truly surfaced again on Wednesday
But I absolutely refuse to be defined by that
That's spursie
We are the Arsenal
Remember what you are and what you represent is the mantra
starmandb

Postby goonerj08 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:09 am

starmandb, no disrespect, but what is with you bringing all these random stats up?
goonerj08
Patrick Vieira

Postby north bank gooner » Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 am

starmandb wrote:
north bank gooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Dejan wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
admmasters wrote:
Sims wrote:People who prefer Spurs to win it over Liverpool

You aren’t actual Arsenal fans

Sorry to break it to you lot

True.

We need to look at this as a kick up the backside and a reality check. Spurs for years where our little bitch, our local whipping boy and look how its made them grow.

We need to think like a big club! We need to look at other big clubs and how they rise above their rivals! How they get our house in order. Tomorrow we must get the result. We must win the Europa to see how much work we have to do.

tbh if you are outside of the UK you have no real reason to hate spurs because you wont really get to experience the rivalry. Since I have never experienced the rivalry myself I dont really hate spurs, they are just neutral to me. I can only hate a certain club if they have a team full of W****rs or do something against my beliefs of what football should be

Hate both clubs fro manchester the most. the c***

This.

Would suck if they win because that'd be another London club to win the CL before Arsenal, but I wouldn't commit seppuku over it. I just don't understand the sheer bitterness as a foreign fan, and I never will unless I found myself living in London for an extended period of time.

The only clubs I truly hate are Barca (ingrained into me from birth) and clubs like Chelsea, City, and PSG (financial doping from blood money).

I am going to rock the boat only a few posts into my Goonersworld existence.

Anyone who considers themselves a Gooner, should have it ingrained into their DNA to hate the spuds. It doesn't matter where you live.

I am astonished that anyone that calls themselves an Arsenal fan could hate Chelski more?

That's the problem with the modern day football fan because invariably they aren't from the area that their club is based, they really don't understand what it means to support that club.

Football has lost its soul over the last 20 years. I used to enjoy watching Arsenal as a mid-table team in the 80s before GG turned up miles more than I do today. One of the worst things that has happened to the match day atmosphere is football tourists more interested in taking selfies than creating an atmosphere in the ground.

I can't for one moment deny how you felt about watching Arsenal before george graham
But personally I cannot share it
There were seasons like 82/83 when hope sprung on the signing of woodcock and chapman( chapman flopped, woodcock was unlucky to have played in an average side)
Losing at Stoke on the opening day of the season wearing our brand new green away kit( stopping in the services
Fellow gunners were looking at me wearing it perplexed) can you imagine a time now where a new kit could be so under the radar?
Losing 5-2 at home to spartak moscow( 8-4 on aggregate having been 2-0 up over there in the first leg)
Being in the old press box at white hart lane behind glass watching( but not hearing ) Spurs fans celebrate a 5-0 win
Losing both domestic cup semi finals to man Utd ( never made it to villa park. Car conked out at Swiss Cottage)
24,000 over the Arsenal
But to make out it was a cauldron of noise or unconditional loving support is a real use of the rose tinted glasses
I loved going Arsenal
But it was shit not winning things
Loved it when George took over
Loved the first 12 years of wengers reign
Listen trophys is the oxygen of this great club
That's in my DNA
3rd generation gunner with a 5 th on the way
Old Spurs dislike truly surfaced again on Wednesday
But I absolutely refuse to be defined by that
That's spursie
We are the Arsenal
Remember what you are and what you represent is the mantra

I was a kid in that era mate. Going to Arsenal was a thrill and dangerous with all the trouble that blighted football in the 80s. I remember one of my first games was against Liverpool as a 12 year old with mates we couldnt get into the north bank, and they shunted us into the junior gunners terrace below the east stand.

My head was at pitch level, with a terrible view but I couldn't stop looking up at the masses in a packed north bank. When we scored the whole ground erupted, I was hooked from that moment. By the time I started work in the late 80s I had a season ticket, quite a good time with the famous back four coming through and the likes of Rocky terrorising opponents defences. Then there was the boxing day derbies against the spuds, I once went to Barnet vs Enfield at lunchtime followed by Arsenal vs Scum.

Those days were a lot more simple, our fan base was very north london centric. I guess the first overseas fans came when we started signing the likes of Limpar. I dont mind us having an international fanbase, but as I said before I wont put up with muppets that try and dilute what being a Gooner is all about. If you hate other teams more than the Spuds, gtfo.

The match day experience these days is totally sanitised, devoid of atmosphere with the exception last season of the NLD which truly was like the old days.
Arsenal fans who hate other clubs more than Tottenham? Really!!
north bank gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Angelito » Mon May 27, 2019 6:11 pm

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BS221B » Mon May 27, 2019 6:16 pm

Angelito wrote:

Yin and Yang
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby BS221B » Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am

My man has absolutely ruined the bald fraud.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Wed May 29, 2019 12:07 pm

I don't think he ruined a guy that just won back to back league titles and also already has a CL trophy. Nice try though Klopp.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to World Football