2018/19 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Who will win the UCL?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am

Atletico Madrid
11%
Barcelona
37%
Bayern Munich
5%
Juventus
21%
Liverpool
11%
Manchester City
5%
Manchester United
5%
Napoli
No votes
Paris Saint-Germain
No votes
Real Madrid
No votes
Young Boys
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes : 19

Re: Champions League 2018-19

Postby Angelito » Thu May 09, 2019 9:41 am

jayramfootball wrote:It still pisses me off that we let our team degrade badly for a decade whilst Wenger and the board lied about how the stadium loan meant we could not spend. All the while we let Spurs build and catch us. Now we're chasing them and we're not very close.

We must go back to project youth.

Ironically, Wenger's ideas from 2006-2011 would yield more success today than it did then. That period had stacked sides, world-class sides: Barca, Chelsea, ManU, Bayern, Milan, Inter, Real. Liverpool under Rafa was a different kettle of fish. City were emerging. Dortmund under Klopp was a giant-killer.

Today, there's only one world class team and it's City in comparison (and Real Madrid until last season). Take Messi out from Barca and they're the Spanish Arsenal. Liverpool have a world class front three and a world class defense this season, but a so-so midfield. Same with Juve. Bayern have an aging squad and have lost a bit of their identity.

The way forward isn't as bleak but we need to be smart and strategic, which is where it becomes bleak. We needed Mislintat for that reason. We need to go back to working with young players, playing attacking free-flowing football, and opting for tactical purchases as we did last decade. We have more money now than we did then, however, I'm not sure if we have proper men in positions upstairs to be able to actualize this scheme.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu May 09, 2019 9:44 am

Even if you don't live in the UK and don't have to endure the absolute spergs that are their fans, I can't see how you couldn't hate their current team. Sure not all of them are bad, some of their foreign players are alright. But their "English core" are very hateable. Danny Rose, Dele Ali, Dier, Trippier.. just thinking about that lot makes my blood boil. Glorified cloggers the lot of them and don't get me started on the world champion high board diver that is Son
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby north bank gooner » Thu May 09, 2019 9:44 am

Dejan wrote:
UFGN wrote:Have to agree im afraid

I accept that we have a lot of foreign fans who might not fully get it but my message is clear..... if you support this club get with the f***ing program. Its not difficult to understand. Rivalry is a universal concept

An English “fan“ who doesn't get it? Just f**k off

Lol nope. I think just hating something because you 'should' is sheep behaviour. I have no real reason to hate them, so i dont. Would it be different if I lived in London? Absolutely. The banter with your mates who support the rival club for me is the reason why eventually you'd hate that club. I never had to experience any of that.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Are you some sort of troll?

I assume with the number of posts you have made on this forum, that you aren't and have had the chance to hear first hand what it's like to be a Gooner not just now but going back many years.

If you honestly can't see the rivalry between us and the spuds, I would question your motives for supporting Arsenal in the first place.

I have absolutely no problems with Arsenals national and international fanbase. But to come onto a forum, and make a case for wanting Tottenham to win the biggest prize in European football is quite frankly embarrassing and borderline arrogant.

You shouldn't base your experience of coming across other fans as a reason to hate one group more than our local rivals. Without meaning to be condescending, you should be educating yourself on forums like these to get a feel for what Gooners who have supported the club for many decades feel about various issues. There are a lot of JCL's that have turned up since the Wenger glory days, that have no real connection with the club apart from the fact they like the way we play and of course the glory in the first 10 years of his tenure.

As I said before, the history between Arsenal and Tottenham is what prevails in these sorts of discussions over everything else.
Arsenal fans who hate other clubs more than Tottenham? Really!!
north bank gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Dejan » Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 am

Slightly confused why you called City the only worldclass team when Liverpool are just about identical in the league and about to win the champions league. Tbh to me that makes liverpool perhaps even more worldclass than the moneycunts

No more project youth please. Dont want to spend another 10 years with wilshere and gibbs v2.0

Dont know what else to do though.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu May 09, 2019 9:58 am

north bank gooner wrote:

Not a troll. Are you?

north bank gooner wrote:If you honestly can't see the rivalry between us and the spuds, I would question your motives for supporting Arsenal in the first place.

Obviously I can see the rivalry. But as I mentioned earlier, since I live abroad, I do not get to experience the real rivalry and hate. So, to me, I can only hate things that I have negative experiences with. I hated the spurs when they have W****rs like vdvaart and adebayor play for them. I hate the United probably the most because if you look back at for example the invincible years, you could tell our players truelly hate the united players, so that gets reflected on the fans. The games versus them were true warfare. If you look back at our games against the spurs, do you think its the same? Imo the games against the spurs have been far too tame and I doubt our players even care whether they play spurs or not (the 4-2 game aside, because that one was massive).

north bank gooner wrote:I have absolutely no problems with Arsenals national and international fanbase. But to come onto a forum, and make a case for wanting Tottenham to win the biggest prize in European football is quite frankly embarrassing and borderline arrogant.

Can you please point out where I mentioned that I want spurs to win the CL? Because I never have. In fact I want liverpool to win it badly.

north bank gooner wrote:You shouldn't base your experience of coming across other fans as a reason to hate one group more than our local rivals. Without meaning to be condescending, you should be educating yourself on forums like these to get a feel for what Gooners who have supported the club for many decades feel about various issues.

I know perfectly well how the majority of the gooners feel about spurs, thankyou. But that doesnt mean I should feel the same just because thats the way you 'should' feel as a 'true gooner'. I'd like to form my own opinion based on my own perspective, and not the mass.
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby north bank gooner » Thu May 09, 2019 10:10 am

Dejan wrote:
north bank gooner wrote:

Not a troll. Are you?

north bank gooner wrote:If you honestly can't see the rivalry between us and the spuds, I would question your motives for supporting Arsenal in the first place.

Obviously I can see the rivalry. But as I mentioned earlier, since I live abroad, I do not get to experience the real rivalry and hate. So, to me, I can only hate things that I have negative experiences with. I hated the spurs when they have W****rs like vdvaart and adebayor play for them. I hate the United probably the most because if you look back at for example the invincible years, you could tell our players truelly hate the united players, so that gets reflected on the fans. The games versus them were true warfare. If you look back at our games against the spurs, do you think its the same? Imo the games against the spurs have been far too tame and I doubt our players even care whether they play spurs or not (the 4-2 game aside, because that one was massive).

north bank gooner wrote:I have absolutely no problems with Arsenals national and international fanbase. But to come onto a forum, and make a case for wanting Tottenham to win the biggest prize in European football is quite frankly embarrassing and borderline arrogant.

Can you please point out where I mentioned that I want spurs to win the CL? Because I never have. In fact I want liverpool to win it badly.

north bank gooner wrote:You shouldn't base your experience of coming across other fans as a reason to hate one group more than our local rivals. Without meaning to be condescending, you should be educating yourself on forums like these to get a feel for what Gooners who have supported the club for many decades feel about various issues.

I know perfectly well how the majority of the gooners feel about spurs, thankyou. But that doesnt mean I should feel the same just because thats the way you 'should' feel as a 'true gooner'. I'd like to form my own opinion based on my own perspective, and not the mass.

Well given what you said, you're not really a Gooner are you? I can't be arsed wasting my time with people who just don't get it. It's bad enough the spuds being in the final. That thought makes me want projectile vomit.
north bank gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Dejan » Thu May 09, 2019 10:12 am

If that makes you feel better kiddo, sure.
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 09, 2019 11:45 am

CynicalGooner wrote:Even if you don't live in the UK and don't have to endure the absolute spergs that are their fans, I can't see how you couldn't hate their current team. Sure not all of them are bad, some of their foreign players are alright. But their "English core" are very hateable. Danny Rose, Dele Ali, Dier, Trippier.. just thinking about that lot makes my blood boil. Glorified cloggers the lot of them and don't get me started on the world champion high board diver that is Son

I built up my hate for Spurs from folks here on the forum. Just realized I've been on here almost 12 years now. I started supporting Arsenal around 1999/2000. I didn't have an immediate hate for Spurs. It was more Utd than anything because of their success and the large pocket of Utd fans here in the states. I still hate Utd as well, but from being on this forum for so long, it has made my hate for spurs grow even more and well above Utd.

I'm not sure I have a point to any of this, but to say each individual is different, but also it just seems that once you start really supporting a team, it should almost come natural to hate their closest rival. IDK!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Is Kane going to be back for the final?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Rockape » Thu May 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Sims wrote:My dad hates Spurs more than he likes Arsenal ffs

:lol: My Dad came from Tottenham and supported them!

(never got on with him :) )
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Angelito wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:It still pisses me off that we let our team degrade badly for a decade whilst Wenger and the board lied about how the stadium loan meant we could not spend. All the while we let Spurs build and catch us. Now we're chasing them and we're not very close.

Ironically, Wenger's ideas from 2006-2011 would yield more success today than it did then. That period had stacked sides, world-class sides: Barca, Chelsea, ManU, Bayern, Milan, Inter, Real. Liverpool under Rafa was a different kettle of fish. City were emerging. Dortmund under Klopp was a giant-killer.

Today, there's only one world class team and it's City in comparison (and Real Madrid until last season). Take Messi out from Barca and they're the Spanish Arsenal. Liverpool have a world class front three and a world class defense this season, but a so-so midfield. Same with Juve. Bayern have an aging squad and have lost a bit of their identity.

The way forward isn't as bleak but we need to be smart and strategic, which is where it becomes bleak. We needed Mislintat for that reason. We need to go back to working with young players, playing attacking free-flowing football, and opting for tactical purchases as we did last decade. We have more money now than we did then, however, I'm not sure if we have proper men in positions upstairs to be able to actualize this scheme.

:clap:

When times change, you get with the program but the people running Arsenal Football Club are always a few years to slow. Bar Real Madrid (possibly PSG and Bayern too), I can see English clubs dominating Europe for many years to come but I'm worried we won't be part of this group because of the club's recent history with making decisions that benefit us on the pitch.

Wrt Wenger, I truly sympathize with him sometimes. When you look at clubs like Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Real Madrid, and Manchester United during Wenger's time compared to now and then you factor in that we were paying off a stadium with no shareholder financing, it's incredible to me how the club didn't capitulate sooner. The one wish I could make for Wenger, if I could, would have been for him to be a better coach during the latter part of his managerial career with us which probably would have made his job much easier and most likely would have ended in the club winning better honors.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby north bank gooner » Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

When times change, you get with the program but the people running Arsenal Football Club are always a few years to slow. Bar Real Madrid (possibly PSG and Bayern too), I can see English clubs dominating Europe for many years to come but I'm worried we won't be part of this group because of the club's recent history with making decisions that benefit us on the pitch.

Wrt Wenger, I truly sympathize with him sometimes. When you look at clubs like Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Real Madrid, and Manchester United during Wenger's time compared to now and then you factor in that we were paying off a stadium with no shareholder financing, it's incredible to me how the club didn't capitulate sooner. The one wish I could make for Wenger, if I could, would have been for him to be a better coach during the latter part of his managerial career with us which probably would have made his job much easier and most likely would have ended in the club winning better honors.

Kroenke has been on board for a large part of the time that we have been playing in the new stadium (2007 was his initial investment). It really doesn't boil down to competing with the big boys financially, it's as much the ambition of the owner to put his hand in his pockets to fund transfers, which he has never done.

Kroenke's Mrs is the heiress to the Walmart fortune, she is worth an absolute fortune. If as a family they wanted to invest in the club in a much more proactive manner we would be competing with the Manure's, City, Barca's, RM's of this world trust me.

That's what fucks me off more than anything about our noisy neighbours, they have funded a state of the art stadium and become more competitive in the league and CL than they were 5 years ago. We have gone backwards despite having pretty much paid for our stadium now.

I have no sympathy for Wenger, if he had any integrity about him he would have left years ago admitting he couldn't work under the constraints that have been imposed by the Kroenke regime.
north bank gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 09, 2019 2:47 pm

north bank gooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Kroenke has been on board for a large part of the time that we have been playing in the new stadium (2007 was his initial investment). It really doesn't boil down to competing with the big boys financially, it's as much the ambition of the owner to put his hand in his pockets to fund transfers, which he has never done.

Kroenke's Mrs is the heiress to the Walmart fortune, she is worth an absolute fortune. If as a family they wanted to invest in the club in a much more proactive manner we would be competing with the Manure's, City, Barca's, RM's of this world trust me.

That's what fucks me off more than anything about our noisy neighbours, they have funded a state of the art stadium and become more competitive in the league and CL than they were 5 years ago. We have gone backwards despite having pretty much paid for our stadium now.

I have no sympathy for Wenger, if he had any integrity about him he would have left years ago admitting he couldn't work under the constraints that have been imposed by the Kroenke regime.

I get the Wenger part, but I think Wenger really thought he was doing what was best for the club. He took all the blame for the lack of ambition from the board and owner and put all that on his shoulders. In hindsight yes, it ended up being part of our current downfall, but I don't blame Wenger for trying to do what I believe he thought was best. He could have been selfish and pointed the fingers elsewhere and also just flat out left the club. Maybe that would have helped us, who knows, but like I said I do believe he was trying to do what he thought was best. Hard to blame him for that.

And I'm not sticking up for him in the sense that I think he still should be manager, I do still believe he needed to go.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby north bank gooner » Thu May 09, 2019 3:10 pm

StLGooner wrote:
north bank gooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

I get the Wenger part, but I think Wenger really thought he was doing what was best for the club. He took all the blame for the lack of ambition from the board and owner and put all that on his shoulders. In hindsight yes, it ended up being part of our current downfall, but I don't blame Wenger for trying to do what I believe he thought was best. He could have been selfish and pointed the fingers elsewhere and also just flat out left the club. Maybe that would have helped us, who knows, but like I said I do believe he was trying to do what he thought was best. Hard to blame him for that.

And I'm not sticking up for him in the sense that I think he still should be manager, I do still believe he needed to go.

But that was the problem with Wenger tbh. He did what HE thought was best for the club and essentially ran everything from coaching right through to transfer dealings.

In a modern day football club, that is an impossible job. When David Dein left the club our transfer strategy apart from being blighted by a lack of funds was bordering on the comical. I mean the Suarez debacle was a perfect example, any half decent offer and we would have got our man. I accept that eventually, Barca would have come calling but we would have made some serious profit on that transfer.

Wenger left the club with a team half full of duds. I mean what was going through his mind when he signed the likes of Chamakh and Sanogo amongst many other shit players.
north bank gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 09, 2019 3:30 pm

north bank gooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
north bank gooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

But that was the problem with Wenger tbh. He did what HE thought was best for the club and essentially ran everything from coaching right through to transfer dealings.

In a modern day football club, that is an impossible job. When David Dein left the club our transfer strategy apart from being blighted by a lack of funds was bordering on the comical. I mean the Suarez debacle was a perfect example, any half decent offer and we would have got our man. I accept that eventually, Barca would have come calling but we would have made some serious profit on that transfer.

Wenger left the club with a team half full of duds. I mean what was going through his mind when he signed the likes of Chamakh and Sanogo amongst many other shit players.

I agree, he's not totally innocent in any sense, and made many mistakes. But I do believe he loved the club and still does, and tried to do what he thought was right. Yes, a lot of it was wrong, but the intentions were good I guess is my point. Plus, the state that the club is in now isn't totally his fault.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to World Football