2018/19 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Who will win the UCL?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am

Atletico Madrid
11%
Barcelona
37%
Bayern Munich
5%
Juventus
21%
Liverpool
11%
Manchester City
5%
Manchester United
5%
Napoli
No votes
Paris Saint-Germain
No votes
Real Madrid
No votes
Young Boys
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes : 19

Re: Champions League 2018-19

Postby StLGooner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Sims wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Looks like a dive to me. But for anyone to suggest they clearly know for sure either way is just pure ignorance. Only Sterling knows, and he hasn't exactly been the most honest player in the game in his career.

If he wanted to dive he would’ve just dived rather than blasting 3cm of turf out the ground with his foot. It happens all the time and usually a competent ref can spot it’s just an accident

I’m really not arsed about diving I’d want us to dive every game if it meant winning it, but there’s honestly no way he meant to kick the turf and win the pen, that’s just not how you think on a football pitch especially when you’re trying to dive

Got more chance of stubbing a toe than winning a pen, unfortunately the ref was an absolute conehead

Sims you have no clue what he was thinking. You're just making a bunch of assumptions and passing it off as fact.

I don't care either way honestly, but quit acting like you KNOW, when you don't buddy.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:20 pm

The swan like fall pretty much suggests it's a dive. I've seen players kick the ground before. They just drop to their knees.

Either when I'm playing with mates or if I'm watching professional football.

Never have I seen a player go down like that.

Fraud coming out in public and saying Sterling should have told the ref it's not a penalty whilst no doubt congratulating him behind closed doors pretty much confirms it as it keeps up the nice guy image which has fooled many.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StLGooner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:21 pm

Sims wrote:
Dynamite wrote:Maybe hitting the turf was part of the act? :dontknow:

That would be a massive stretch imo

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone intentionally hit the turf with their foot before in order to dive. It could be Ronaldo or Robben with their reputations as well, I’d defend them in this case too

He could have hit the turf on accident and dove on purpose. It's not that hard to fathom. He could have already had diving in his mind and then hit the turf and thought "seems like a good time now".
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Ach wrote:The swan like fall pretty much suggests it's a dive. I've seen players kick the ground before. They just drop to their knees.

Either when I'm playing with mates or if I'm watching professional football.

Never have I seen a player go down like that.

Fraud coming out in public and saying Sterling should have told the ref it's not a penalty whilst no doubt congratulating him behind closed doors pretty much confirms it as it keeps up the nice guy image which has fooled many.

Right he has some of the quickest feet in the league. He could have stayed up on his feet after the kick for sure.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:39 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Sims wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Looks like a dive to me. But for anyone to suggest they clearly know for sure either way is just pure ignorance. Only Sterling knows, and he hasn't exactly been the most honest player in the game in his career.

If he wanted to dive he would’ve just dived rather than blasting 3cm of turf out the ground with his foot. It happens all the time and usually a competent ref can spot it’s just an accident

I’m really not arsed about diving I’d want us to dive every game if it meant winning it, but there’s honestly no way he meant to kick the turf and win the pen, that’s just not how you think on a football pitch especially when you’re trying to dive

Got more chance of stubbing a toe than winning a pen, unfortunately the ref was an absolute conehead

Sims you have no clue what he was thinking. You're just making a bunch of assumptions and passing it off as fact.

I don't care either way honestly, but quit acting like you KNOW, when you don't buddy.

Bro come on, you're one of the smart ones. You're not Cripps.

What Sims is saying is correct.

You've played football before, right? Where you've gone to kick the ball, misjudged the ball, stacked it and looked like a t**t and got arse over head? Who hasn't? Seen that happen loads of times on the playground before back in school.

That's exactly what he's done. It's just so happened to be in the box and he's got away with it big time. I agree he definitely should of owned up but it 100% wasn't a dive. It's a natural fall. He hasn't thrown his arms up in the air or anything
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby BS221B » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:06 am

im ashamed of Manchester City. Hope they get one of the big boys like RM/PSG/Liverpool in ro16 and gets the L.

Also props to Mourinho, you may dislike the man but you gotta respect him beating Juve at Turin. Juventus havent lost there since 2009 at home CL games.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Btw there's no way Sterling actually dived wtf is going on :rofll:

Clearly trips himself and is just a w***er for not telling the ref or City just missing the pen. Lost a bit of respect for Pep when he said he wouldn't ask Jesus to miss the pen ever in that scenario.

You twatted Shakhtar away and were already 1-0 up at home, plus judging by the final scoreline, you didn't need that f***ing penalty. Poor imo.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Lmao just seen why nobody linked that so called Szczesny “shocker”, pretty much the same as Mkhi’s lucky goal against wolves but 4 people in his face :rofll:

Also saved Higgy’s pen at the weekend so couldn’t be more loved in Turin I’m sure :hail:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:28 pm

SuperJackyWilshere wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Sims wrote:

Bro come on, you're one of the smart ones. You're not Cripps.

What Sims is saying is correct.

You've played football before, right? Where you've gone to kick the ball, misjudged the ball, stacked it and looked like a t**t and got arse over head? Who hasn't? Seen that happen loads of times on the playground before back in school.

That's exactly what he's done. It's just so happened to be in the box and he's got away with it big time. I agree he definitely should of owned up but it 100% wasn't a dive. It's a natural fall. He hasn't thrown his arms up in the air or anything

What you're describing is exactly why I think it was a dive. It didn't look like a natural fall for me. I think he accidentally kicked the ground, and then decided to just fall in hopes of getting a call. That's what he does and many players to be fair.

All in all, nobody knows for sure, so it's kind of pointless to even discuss, not sure why I even care anymore. :think:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Didn’t know where to post this

What a man :hail:
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:16 pm

:rofll:

This thread is going to go off!
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Sims wrote:

Didn’t know where to post this

What a man :hail:

All he didn't was mention Messi and UEFA didn't really have a leg to stand on.

Nothing to see here.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:26 pm

But but he would never deliebrately Injure players :rofll:

Surely favourite for the ballon d'or
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Anyway football leaks looool

Other than the Man City stuff, have they been right on anything?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Kante refusing to use an offshore account saying he just wants to have a normal wage and pay tax
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to World Football