Does the CL need a change in how teams are drawn?

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Does the CL need a change in how teams are drawn?

Postby UFGN » Mon May 28, 2018 3:20 am

For what it's worth I think the draws are probably legit. I've seen all the stuff on YT and it's pretty weak.

But I don't blame people for being suspicious and not trusting UEFA. Trust in FIFA / UEFA is in the gutter and they need to respond to that.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Santi » Mon May 28, 2018 11:53 am

Angelito wrote:You guys seriously fancy the draws?

Think for a while. Arsenal have drawn either Barca or Bayern in 6 of the past 8 seasons (until 16/17) - toppled by drawing BOTH Bayern and Barca in 15/16. The odds of that happening in an open draw is spectacular.

If UEFA uses the World Cup format - getting rid of the draws - or, only apply the draws for the Round of 16, then chances of such blatant rigging go down tremendously. It also opens up fresh match-ups.

Simple difference is I don't think they're rigged at all.

One of those times we drew Bayern in the group and we usually get a strong opponent because we f**k up and come 2nd.

Of course the matchups are gonna get pretty common when you have the same good teams fighting it out year after year.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:07 pm

Happy with how it is, if there was any change to be made, it should just be old school rules where only the champions play in the european cup plus the holders, we might have won the thing under them conditions.

Replace the el with the cup winners cup, that means you have a 2nd european competition that actually would feel like a huge thing to win, would mean the FA cup would be back to its best to.

Tbh i think the current cl would probably be a lot better than an old european cup format as you would lose a lot of good teams from the top leagues, however it should only be the best of the best.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Previous

Return to World Football