Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby elkanofan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:52 pm

Power n Glory wrote:It's not worse. We just keep playing the wrong combination along with Emery playing Torreira as a box to box player. Playing Xhaka as a DM whilst allowing the two CM's beside him to roam forward is suicidal.

The problem is we have no reliable number 10 to retain possession in the attacking third, we have box to box players who will give the ball away more than a proper playmaker would, leaving us open to counters, plus bar Xhaka all of our midfielders are young, naive and still learning. Ceballos cannot last 90 minutes and fades around 60-70 minute. This is so important but again, many of our fans have no idea how good we actually are.

But you think thats better than what Chelsea have with Kovacic, Kante, even shitty Barkley for example, i don't even like Chelsea and Lampard ain't a great manager but hes got more than what we have.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:09 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:It's not worse. We just keep playing the wrong combination along with Emery playing Torreira as a box to box player. Playing Xhaka as a DM whilst allowing the two CM's beside him to roam forward is suicidal.

The problem is we have no reliable number 10 to retain possession in the attacking third, we have box to box players who will give the ball away more than a proper playmaker would, leaving us open to counters, plus bar Xhaka all of our midfielders are young, naive and still learning. Ceballos cannot last 90 minutes and fades around 60-70 minute. This is so important but again, many of our fans have no idea how good we actually are.

But you think thats better than what Chelsea have with Kovacic, Kante, even shitty Barkley for example, i don't even like Chelsea and Lampard ain't a great manager but hes got more than what we have.

I wouldn't say it's the players or lack of having a 10 that stops us from retaining possession in the final third. Ozil rarely loses the ball as a 10 and we have enough players that can play as a CM with Torriera holding as DM. But I wouldn't say that's the problem.

It's the spacing, the distance between our players and the structure. Emery likes to make the pitch big and and tends to attack the wings. The overlap is his go to move to create chances. He's nothing like Arsene so the short, quick passing, possession game (tika taka) we used to see has gone. Wenger used to keep things tight, make the pitch small so we wouldn't see these gaping holes between our defenders, midfield and attack like we see under Emery. Players are left isolated when on the ball with little passing options. It's a bigger emphasis on players being able dribble and drive forward like we used to see with Iwobi and like what we have seen with Saka, Willock and Guendouzi.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:19 pm

VCC wrote:Emery has a lot of decisions before the utd game very interesting if xhaka starts, holdi g will start with AMN being suspended, Teirney must start if fit enough and play the maximum time he can safely, the group of youngsters at his disposal are as good a group as Davis, Roecastle, Adam's when they started.

Our record at old Trafford with those guys starting was
2-0 defeat
0-0
1-1 Adams scored at both ends
1-0 win but we ended with a points reduction
1-1 when rocky scored that cracker
We also had young Michael Thomas and Paul Merson in the game we won
Always a tough game regardless of teams circumstances
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby elkanofan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:47 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

I wouldn't say it's the players or lack of having a 10 that stops us from retaining possession in the final third. Ozil rarely loses the ball as a 10 and we have enough players that can play as a CM with Torriera holding as DM. But I wouldn't say that's the problem.

Ozil lost the ball 4 times just 10 minutes before he was taken off and was killing our attacks with his lack of any conditioning to create, that's just today. He doesn't even get the ball anymore and spends most of the game walking around tired because he cant move into space anymore.

BTW this is against Nottingham Forest so against Watford pressing us like crazy you see what a massive issue this was against them.

Ceballos actually can drop into all areas within the midfield to build or create int he final 3rd. Ceballos is already way better than Ozil but hes still adapt.

Yes, thats it thats all we have in terms of attacking mids.

It's the spacing, the distance between our players and the structure. Emery likes to make the pitch big and and tends to attack the wings. The overlap is his go to move to create chances.

To attack down the center you need attacking mid to create chances in the final 3rd and need players who can anchor and create from deep. We don't have that hence why we need to look for the wings. We haven't even had proper wide players for ages, we have Kolasniac who is the only properly fullback/wingback we have, AMN is a squad player doing a job there and then thats it, its just squad players like Chambers filling in gaps.

We play down the wing because we really don't have a choice.

He's nothing like Arsene so the short, quick passing, possession game (tika taka) we used to see has gone. Wenger used to keep things tight, make the pitch small so we wouldn't see these gaping holes between our defenders, midfield and attack like we see under Emery.

Like i said, you cant do this without attacking mids and we don't have that, Ozil is shit, i told everyone a million times now!

Players are left isolated when on the ball with little passing options. It's a bigger emphasis on players being able dribble and drive forward like we used to see with Iwobi and like what we have seen with Saka, Willock and Guendouzi.

A symbol of a work in progress team with players still getting to know eachover and learn eachovers game plus clear talent deficiencies.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:28 am

elkanofan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

Ozil lost the ball 4 times just 10 minutes before he was taken off and was killing our attacks with his lack of any conditioning to create, that's just today. He doesn't even get the ball anymore and spends most of the game walking around tired because he cant move into space anymore.

BTW this is against Nottingham Forest so against Watford pressing us like crazy you see what a massive issue this was against them.

Ceballos actually can drop into all areas within the midfield to build or create int he final 3rd. Ceballos is already way better than Ozil but hes still adapt.

Yes, thats it thats all we have in terms of attacking mids.

It's the spacing, the distance between our players and the structure. Emery likes to make the pitch big and and tends to attack the wings. The overlap is his go to move to create chances.

To attack down the center you need attacking mid to create chances in the final 3rd and need players who can anchor and create from deep. We don't have that hence why we need to look for the wings. We haven't even had proper wide players for ages, we have Kolasniac who is the only properly fullback/wingback we have, AMN is a squad player doing a job there and then thats it, its just squad players like Chambers filling in gaps.

He's nothing like Arsene so the short, quick passing, possession game (tika taka) we used to see has gone. Wenger used to keep things tight, make the pitch small so we wouldn't see these gaping holes between our defenders, midfield and attack like we see under Emery.

Like i said, you cant do this without attacking mids and we don't have that, Ozil is shit, i told everyone a million times now!

Players are left isolated when on the ball with little passing options. It's a bigger emphasis on players being able dribble and drive forward like we used to see with Iwobi and like what we have seen with Saka, Willock and Guendouzi.

A symbol of a work in progress team with players still getting to know eachover and learn eachovers game plus clear talent deficiencies.

Agree with you on Ozil's poor conditioning that leads to sloppy give aways. Noticed a few moves broke down yesterday because of him in the second half before being taken off but he's tidy with his play when not fatigued. He's a 60 minute player.

Agree with you on Ceballos. But disagree on the below,

In the Man Utd match thread, you suggested the below team and I bet if we play that line up more often we see a major difference in how much control we have in the middle of the park. Against Burnley we played a similar midfield but had Willock instead of Torreira. We had 67% of possession and that's the most we've this season. We were still too open off the ball because Burnley had far too many shots, but I believe that comes back to not playing a DM and the spacing/distance issue we have. On far too many occasions, our midfield is either too high up the pitch or too deep in their own box so we're poorly positioned for transitions on both attack and defence. Attackers shouldn't be one on with our defenders so often and easily. I have no idea why Emery trusts Xhaka to be the furthest man back in midfield when he can't press, tackle or track a runner. I also have little sympathy for Emery because despite the constant tinkering with the formation and certain players in the line up, he kept playing Xhaka. He kept Elneny benched. He had Ramsey benched for a period. Iwobi was never tried through the middle. Mkhitryan kept on being shifted from a central position to a wide position....we had options that were never explored.

Leno

Chambers - Sokratis - Luiz - Kolasinac

Torreria

Pepe - Guendouzi - Ceballos - Saka

Aubameyang
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 am

Xhaka starting against ManU pretty much spells disaster.

Away from home, we have some serious mental issues. That will be compounded with captain calamity in the middle. It's like doing a theatrical performance. Only the main actor is the lousiest of the lot, thereby, dragging down the entire performance.

But I don't have much hope. Xhaka is pretty much the first name on the teamsheet atm.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:51 am

The fact that the fans sarcastically clapped him off against Aston Villa, well I hope Emery is feeling that pressure every time he plays Xhaka I want him to feel the squeeze.

His job is on the line and we're going to be merciless about it, I mean its not like we don't have Willock, Ozil, Torreia all just sitting there ffs.

Cebellos and Guendouzi, sure, but all the other 3 I'd rather see > Xhaka and my patience for him starting him over them is -0.

Same goes for AMN and Chambers, you've got to be fkin blind to not see Chambers isn't better, in fact he's knocking on the doors of Bellerin and our CB's.

If our RB's were Bellerin & Chambers moving forward I'd be more than happy with that, the guy's had a goal and 2 assists in 2 games, that's as good as a season from AMN.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:20 am

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:30 am

Much ado about nothing.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:07 pm

I dont understand what all this captain nonsense is about

Just pick a captain in pre season. This is ridiculous
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby gooney » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:28 pm

UFGN wrote:I dont understand what all this captain nonsense is about

Just pick a captain in pre season. This is ridiculous

Hard to do when we dont have one clear choice.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:52 pm

No style
No formation
No captain

The Emery era.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby mel4 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:39 pm

As seen on twitter
Last edited by mel4 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:41 pm

mel4 wrote:As seen on twitter

Ignore him, he's the worst Troll on the forum, he's everything Alexfc12 aspires to be.

............. he literally makes posts like that simply to bait other posters, best to ignore him and not reply.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:58 pm

kieran tierney to be made captain

legend
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football