Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:02 am

Bad teeth to, they say a team reflects a manager, in this case it has the football has no elegance and looks dirty.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 am

Sims wrote:My biggest critique of him so far and it’s sometjing that is completely unacceptable

His hair is atrocious and looks like he bathes in olive oil

Giroud got 5 years here based on not much more than his hair, so I agree.

If Emery gets a better barbers and hygiene routine, he could get 22 years like Wenger.

Vidal Sassoon all the way.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:31 am

@ hothead - I genuinely can't be arsed to pick apart that entire essay point by point, but this is the crux of the matter:

You want the players to have more defensive solidity and to play like a unit. You believe this can be done through training the team, no matter what the set of players ie what we have now.

Training a unit depends on many things, such as:

Can the players follow the instructions
Can the players understand and then carry out the instructions
Can the players retain the lessons before you move on to the next one etc.

What me and many others are saying is there comes a point where no matter how much training you give players, they will be limited by their mental or physical ability to carry out or understand the managers game plan.

Simple example:

We sign Guardiola and he implements his possession based tactics.

It doesn't succeed because:

He has monreal and lichtensteiner at full backs.

= they physically cannot get up to the byline to cross or support the ball carrier and get back into defensive shape in time to stop a counter.

Ozil can't/wont put his foot in, leaving a massive weakness in the coordinated press when without the ball. We relinquish control of midfield so can't mount attacks properly.

Iwobi and Ramsey on either wing don't have the acceleration and pace of sterling and sane to exploit the gaps behind the defence.

Xhaka doesn't have the stamina, pace or mobility to cover the ground and adapt to midfield changes in the same way fernandinho can. Mans run around him.

Guardiolas appointment is a complete failure.

Hothead sat at the head of the board room table stands up and proclaims:

"I want pep gone right now, hes not training these players we have to be a defensive or attacking force.

Also, there will be no transfer budget again this season".

John Terry was formidable for mourinhos Chelsea first time around because he was quite often sat in the heart of a back 6, with both DMs sitting practically in line with the back 4.

All he had to do was pump headers clear all day. Now put that type of player in klopps liverpool or pochs spurs. He looks like a clown because they tend to play a higher line to constrict the oppositions attacking space and make it easier to hunt in packs.

As a fail safe, they have Sanchez or van dijk to track the attacker centrally or 2 fast young high stamina/energy FBs to deal with the danger.

With the personnel we have in defence as a start, the only way we can get solid defensively is if we drill them in doing a Burnley or to get better at what we tried to do against city which is completely against what this club has been about since the Graham days. Even then, we simply don't have the personnel for that either.

You blaming Emery for not drilling the team to magically become something they simply cannot be makes no sense at all tbh.

Ever wonder why things went downhill as soon as bellerin and holding came out of the team and we went from 22 unbeaten to patchy results?

Pro tip - it's not because the training regime suddenly changed.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:32 am

And now you've made me write a f***ing essay myself ffs.

I'm done with this convo!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 am

Zedie wrote:@ hothead - I genuinely can't be arsed to pick apart that entire essay point by point, but this is the crux of the matter:

You want the players to have more defensive solidity and to play like a unit. You believe this can be done through training the team, no matter what the set of players ie what we have now.

Training a unit depends on many things, such as:

Can the players follow the instructions
Can the players understand and then carry out the instructions
Can the players retain the lessons before you move on to the next one etc.

What me and many others are saying is there comes a point where no matter how much training you give players, they will be limited by their mental or physical ability to carry out or understand the managers game plan.

Simple example:

We sign Guardiola and he implements his possession based tactics.

It doesn't succeed because:

He has monreal and lichtensteiner at full backs.

= they physically cannot get up to the byline to cross or support the ball carrier and get back into defensive shape in time to stop a counter.

Ozil can't/wont put his foot in, leaving a massive weakness in the coordinated press when without the ball. We relinquish control of midfield so can't mount attacks properly.

Iwobi and Ramsey on either wing don't have the acceleration and pace of sterling and sane to exploit the gaps behind the defence.

Xhaka doesn't have the stamina, pace or mobility to cover the ground and adapt to midfield changes in the same way fernandinho can. Mans run around him.

Guardiolas appointment is a complete failure.

Hothead sat at the head of the board room table stands up and proclaims:

"I want pep gone right now, hes not training these players we have to be a defensive or attacking force.

Also, there will be no transfer budget again this season".

John Terry was formidable for mourinhos Chelsea first time around because he was quite often sat in the heart of a back 6, with both DMs sitting practically in line with the back 4.

All he had to do was pump headers clear all day. Now put that type of player in klopps liverpool or pochs spurs. He looks like a clown because they tend to play a higher line to constrict the oppositions attacking space and make it easier to hunt in packs.

As a fail safe, they have Sanchez or van dijk to track the attacker centrally or 2 fast young high stamina/energy FBs to deal with the danger.

With the personnel we have in defence as a start, the only way we can get solid defensively is if we drill them in doing a Burnley or to get better at what we tried to do against city which is completely against what this club has been about since the Graham days. Even then, we simply don't have the personnel for that either.

You blaming Emery for not drilling the team to magically become something they simply cannot be makes no sense at all tbh.

Ever wonder why things went downhill as soon as bellerin and holding came out of the team and we went from 22 unbeaten to patchy results?

Pro tip - it's not because the training regime suddenly changed.

Agree with everyhting here apart from the 17th paragraph
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:52 am

Philosophical question. Should the manager adapt his system to the players he has, as Emery is being asked to do? Or should the club adapt the squad to the system the manager is best known for, like Guardiola? I guess it depends on the resources of the club and the reputation of the manager.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:15 am

swipe right wrote:Philosophical question. Should the manager adapt his system to the players he has, as Emery is being asked to do? Or should the club adapt the squad to the system the manager is best known for, like Guardiola? I guess it depends on the resources of the club and the reputation of the manager.

First season - adapt to players while beginning to implement preferred style
Second season - replace weakest links (i.e., players who don't fit preferred system) and continue to shift to system
Third season - long enough to have brought own players in/kept players who fit system. Training wheels off, full implementation

Or you could be a club with world class players all over the place who can immediately adapt to any play style.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Luzh 22 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:17 am

LMAO wrote:
swipe right wrote:Philosophical question. Should the manager adapt his system to the players he has, as Emery is being asked to do? Or should the club adapt the squad to the system the manager is best known for, like Guardiola? I guess it depends on the resources of the club and the reputation of the manager.

First season - adapt to players while beginning to implement preferred style
Second season - replace weakest links (i.e., players who don't fit preferred system) and continue to shift to system
Third season - long enough to have brought own players in/kept players who fit system. Training wheels off, full implementation

Or you could be a club with world class players all over the place who can immediately adapt to any play style.

3 years is too soon for this club and its current predicament. I think it'll be at least 5 years, if it ever happens at all (not convinced with the owner we have that it will).
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:47 am

First season, adapt to existing players. Embed vision slowly.

If the end objective is in and around the season objective set prior to recruitment, proceed to second season. Also, the pedigree of the manager has to be taken into account.

Allow the manager to sign 2-3 of his players depending on budget and set season objectives. If the manager is on track, good. If he isn't on track, assess issues.

2nd season is a must deliver season. In the case of Arsenal it's top-4 in the league. If he's delivering, reinforce where and when needed. If not, depending on the class of the manager, sack him.

It's crucial to hire the right manager. It's also important to know when to back a manager like Liverpool with Klopp, and when to sack him - like ManU under Moyes or Mourinho this season.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Rockape » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:39 am

2nd season is a must deliver season. In the case of Arsenal it's top-4 in the league. If he's delivering, reinforce where and when needed. If not, depending on the class of the manager, sack him.

Well of course that is an entirely reasonable suggestion, if we are spending the money and have a manager of the standard of the top teams around us. But in reality, he'll still be playing catch up, just like Klopp has had to do, so the reality is, that unless he suddenly is allowed to spend a couple of hundred million and picks up at least 4 players that he actually wants, then we really can't expect anything better than this season.

I do think, as Zedie has alluded to earlier, that the progress he was making with the unbeaten run was massively disrupted by the injuries to our defence. I feel sure we would be in a far better position if Holding, Monreal & Bellerin had been available these past weeks and months. Kos came back too soon, Sokratis got injured and its been a big problem for Emery, as it would have been for any manager.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 am

Angelito wrote:Allow the manager to sign 2-3 of his players depending on budget and set season objectives. If the manager is on track, good. If he isn't on track, assess issues.

Sounds good but the reality is we would have to beat two of the other top six to get in the top four ... City are miles away, you say we sign 2-3 players but so will Dippers and Utd and for a lot more money ... Chelsea will depend on what their owner let's them spend and who's managing ... Spuds will have a new ground but probably not many new players ...

So in reality we are probably in a battle for fourth place with Chelsea ans Spuds and that's if we improve the squad ... that's a pretty tough 'must deliver' and something Wenger couldn't do spending over 400m and no way Emery gets that kind of money ...

If we are still there or there about in 16 months time isn't that the best we can expect? we can wish and hope for better but we must stay realistic. If we start swapping managers like mistresses we will be going down the Spuds path of the last twenty years ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 am

What's his system?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby BrunelGooner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:08 am

Rockape wrote:

Well of course that is an entirely reasonable suggestion, if we are spending the money and have a manager of the standard of the top teams around us. But in reality, he'll still be playing catch up, just like Klopp has had to do, so the reality is, that unless he suddenly is allowed to spend a couple of hundred million and picks up at least 4 players that he actually wants, then we really can't expect anything better than this season.

I do think, as Zedie has alluded to earlier, that the progress he was making with the unbeaten run was massively disrupted by the injuries to our defence. I feel sure we would be in a far better position if Holding, Monreal & Bellerin had been available these past weeks and months. Kos came back too soon, Sokratis got injured and its been a big problem for Emery, as it would have been for any manager.

Thank you.

I have said for ages that the injuries have been one of the biggest contributors to our inconsistent form since the end of December and very few people seem willing to acknowledge this.

It's also why he's been tinkering so much with different formations because he is trying to adapt based on the players we have available. I don't think he's always got it right, but I believe that's what he is trying to do.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Luzh 22 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Angelito wrote:

First season, adapt to existing players. Embed vision slowly.

If the end objective is in and around the season objective set prior to recruitment, proceed to second season. Also, the pedigree of the manager has to be taken into account.

Allow the manager to sign 2-3 of his players depending on budget and set season objectives. If the manager is on track, good. If he isn't on track, assess issues.

It's crucial to hire the right manager. It's also important to know when to back a manager like Liverpool with Klopp, and when to sack him - like ManU under Moyes or Mourinho this season.

First two and a half mins of that video will tell you everything you both want to know, and where you're wrong in the case of Angelito.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rockape » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:05 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Thank you.

I have said for ages that the injuries have been one of the biggest contributors to our inconsistent form since the end of December and very few people seem willing to acknowledge this.

It's also why he's been tinkering so much with different formations because he is trying to adapt based on the players we have available. I don't think he's always got it right, but I believe that's what he is trying to do.

I've been saying the same thing pal all along, its not easy chopping and changing players and even playing people out of position....not in this league!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football