Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Angelito » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Wenger did ok at Arsenal for a few years?

Jesus Christ, PG. Understatement of the century.

:doh:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:52 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:His rep hinders us for sure. The only manager to lose a one horse race in Ligue 1 and the bloke who’s nicknamed “La Botella” in Spain.

What hope do we have
Look up Wenger. In France he was known as 'le job de botteille' (bottle job) after the dismal end to his time there. Even in Japan he was known as a knickname that roughly translates as 'rubbish at tactics'. Yet he came here and did ok for a few years. You need to give Emery a chance.

We need sources for that sort of claim against Wenger in France and Japan. First I've heard of that and it needs backing up with something.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:38 pm

:rolleyes:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:55 pm

Tony_Adams wrote::rolleyes:

Ahhh sarcasm.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:59 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Ahhh sarcasm.
Look who I was replying to ffs
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby BS221B » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Not cool, PG :naughty:
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:04 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Ahhh sarcasm.
Look who I was replying to ffs

I don't know that guys history on here. Same goes for yours. :dontknow:
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Forget about attracting players, Emery going to have a hard time retaining players.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:39 pm

swipe right wrote:Forget about attracting players, Emery going to have a hard time retaining players.

Yep. Much discontent within the youth ranks currently regarding Unai. Players don't feel Unai values the youth enough and isn't willing to give them a chance. Hence a quite a few players waiting to see what happens this summer before signing new deals.

Main reason Freddie has been promoted is to try and halt the exodus.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:01 am

alexafc12 wrote:
swipe right wrote:Forget about attracting players, Emery going to have a hard time retaining players.

Yep. Much discontent within the youth ranks currently regarding Unai. Players don't feel Unai values the youth enough and isn't willing to give them a chance. Hence a quite a few players waiting to see what happens this summer before signing new deals.

Main reason Freddie has been promoted is to try and halt the exodus.

Dead man walking
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby coolaa » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:43 am

Sign some championship defenders, hard tackles, physical presence, stamina and pace. 4get the skills on the ball, we dun need it because even the midfielders are mediocre, so we need tough defenders to not leak goals at least, and then strikers will do the job.
coolaa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:59 am

Angelito wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Rubbish, Arsenal are one of the biggest clubs in world football, we should not have trouble attracting the best players. We keep buying the wrong players and have done so since the break up of the Invincibles.

We've had stellar sides up until 2011. It's just that we never had the money to do what Liverpool did last summer—in getting Alisson and van Dijk to complete the puzzle.

In fact, I'd say Wenger's second greatest achievement would be 05-11. If we had someone like, say, Puyol, we could have won the UCL or the Prem during that time.

It's also interesting to note that our UCL performances improved after Vieira.

I don't think you seriously believe we became better after Vieira left. The reason we got to that final was because Wenger decided to change approach and for at least 3 away games against the tough opposition, Real Madrid and Juventus for example, he played one up top counter attacking football, which made us defensively more compact. We were able to nick a goal.

Prior to that season and since that season Wenger went back to his usual brand of gung-ho football, with no thought to defending.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 am

United getting in and stirring the pot - 70m and a big pay rise for Auba - this is going to get a lot of media. Not sure if it's true or not but will be yet more unsettling for the squad.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Alexis Claude-Maurice

Postby Fenice » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:23 pm

I really dislike Emery...
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby looper007 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:25 am

This summer needs to be a big statement from Emery. Already some fan's questioning him, let's be honest some were hating him on the day he joined so we ignore those. But the end of season collapse and Europa League final result, did him no favors with some fans. He needs to really make a statement, getting rid of the deadwood and bringing in signings that will give us some hope. I'm not expecting big names but players with a ton of potential and Premier League quality will do for this season. He needs to stamp his style over this team come the start of next season.

What I honestly think will happen, he sign probably 3 players of decent quality for CB, Winger and a player who can play LB or RB, won't get the fan's excited and will probably put pressure on Emery before the season starts. He probably bring through three or four youth players, I'm sure the board will be pushing him to do it more so then him and that's why Freddie is on the staff. He get rid of one or two of the dross from the squad but I don't think the squad will be too different from last season's to be brutally honest. First run of bad results and he be straight under pressure.

I think he needs CB of top quality and leadership qualities, even another new CB wouldn't go amiss imo. First team LB, a decent back up at RB. A replacement for Ramsey and a top quality winger. I'd even think a third choice Striker on the cheap would be another I'd look for. 7 players at most. He probably needs to get rid of the likes of Mustafi, Elneny, Jenko, Kos for definitive. Even trying to get rid Of Xhaka or Sead if he can. I don't think Ozil will budge. If he can do that I think he can be on for at least getting himself a chance at top 4.
looper007
Michael Thomas

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football