Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Emery's decision to start with Xhaka and Willock was really dumb.
2 players should ALWAYS start. Lacazette and Torriera - especially away to a top team. Taking away Laca's ability to hold the ball up and Torriera's ability to win the ball was an unfathomable decision.
Lets' hope he has learned from this.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ESR10 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:03 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Emery's decision to start with Xhaka and Willock was really dumb.
2 players should ALWAYS start. Lacazette and Torriera - especially away to a top team. Taking away Laca's ability to hold the ball up and Torriera's ability to win the ball was an unfathomable decision.

He dropped Laca for almost every big away game last season. He isn't a fast learner tbh
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby VCC » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:08 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Emery's decision to start with Xhaka and Willock was really dumb.

And laca work rate auba and pepe dont rest as well as laca
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:15 pm

VCC wrote:

And laca work rate auba and pepe dont press as well as laca
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ag6789 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 pm

Many better tactical managers in PL itself. I can name four who are better in man management and tactics than Unai. Nuno Espirito Santo, Howe, Rodgers and Silva.
Other than of course Pep, Klopp and Pocha.
We cannot get forward with this guy no matter how good a team we assemble. This fellow is really limited.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:22 pm

VCC wrote:
starmandb wrote:
VCC wrote:Hopefully we will not concede too many goals within 5 minutes either side of halftime or in the last 5 minutes of matches, already conceded to Barnsly last week seems to be a time we seem to lapse concentration not sure of stats for this but seems a regular event
Be in excess of 10 goals easy

Goals conceded in emery,s 1st 60 games
Last 5 mins before half time 10
1st 5 mins after half time 2
Last 5 mins of game 9

Goals scored under emery
Last 5 mins before half time 4
1st 5 mins after half time 8
Last 5 mins of game 9

Goals conceded in Wenger,s last 60 games
Last 5 mins before half time 3
1st 5 mins after half time 5
Last 5 mins of game 8

Goals scored in Wenger,s last 60 games
Last 5 mins before half time 6
1st 5 mins after half time 5
Last 5 mins of game 16

Goals conceded in wengers 1st 60 games as manager
Last 5 mins before half time 4
1st 5 mins after half time 3
Last 5 mins 13

Goals scored in Wenger,s 1st 60 games as manager
Last 5 mins before half time 9
1st 5 mins after half time 4
Last 5 mins 7

What you think Starmandb it's like an epidemic that does not go away, seems like the foot comes off the accelerator around the break times what do you think?
Thanks for that break down of stats

2 more goals today either side of half time
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:41 pm

I was fine with resting and rotating auba, laca and pepe against weaker teams but all three should have started today. I'm not happy that they didn't and that is on Emery.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:I was fine with resting and rotating auba, laca and pepe against weaker teams but all three should have started today. I'm not happy that they didn't and that is on Emery.

Right, what are we saving them for if not games like today?
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby 1991 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Angelito wrote:
Godlop wrote:Emery is the spanish Mourinho these days.

I'd take Mourinho at Arsenal, tbh.

We're the perfect club for him to create that siege mentality.

:hiding:

yup
he woud be great to turn the cIubs cuIture around from this soft hipster Ioser cuIture thats been here for the Iast 15 years, pIus he wouId caII out owners, u can teII hes gagging for it the way hes been sucking AFC off at SKY, but I dont think Kreonkes wouId want anything but a yes man here
Jonathan Pearce - "Regarding any new transfers you are not going to give me a clue are you?"
Arsene Wenger - "I cannot give you what i don't have"
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Losmeister » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:34 pm

ag6789 wrote:Many better tactical managers in PL itself. I can name four who are better in man management and tactics than Unai. Nuno Espirito Santo, Howe, Rodgers and Silva......Pocha

silveware says otherwise...

anyhoots. i dont know enough about the game to pretend like you guys do... that you are tactially superior to these professional coaches...

cos, what have you guys managed a title or cup winning side of some sort that I dont know about.

you sit and chat shit.

now... i also sometimes turn up my eyebrows at the team selection.... and am not sold on emery....

and the best example that i can give about player performance and the fact that it is often disconnected from manager style or ability is
karius v Madrid in the UCL final.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby BexleyGooner » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:53 pm

Emery’s a coward. He’s betraying the club ethos. In all the time he’s been here, I don’t think he’s ever selected one lineup that I actually agree with.

The diamond shit was an absolute catastrophe, even Klopp was laughing at it in his interview. Made it so easy for Liverpool. Never seen a midfield dominate as much as theirs did today.

He’s got to up his game, because I can’t see Josh and Raul being quite as forgiving as Stan and Ivan.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Jedi » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:20 pm

I thought the approach was all wrong today. There's nothing wrong with closing shop away from home but we were never going to keep a clean sheet and we all knew it, so might as well try to surprise them by pressing and attacking them. Disappointing result but this is a game we can afford to lose. On to the next one.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Whilst we ended up being soundly thumped, for forty minutes we frustrated them and indeed had a couple of more than half chances. Then poor defending at a set piece gave them the lead ... Sokratiss/Guendozi just let Matip have a free header not much Emery can do about that ... the second goal was a classic Luiz being a c*** moment that we all know he's capable off, on the day that's not Emery's fault but signing a 32 year old brain dead centre back yup that's on Emery.
Whilst Emery tries something that clearly failed, that is keeping it narrow and just defending the box, the problem is we just lack quality - defenders who make to many basic errors, midfield players who are just to weak, Cebellos/Ozil/Mkhi might all be great talents but they are all a streak of piss as well, good enough against poor sides but not even a threat to top teams. Liverpool are a good side and will be there or there about come May sadly on today's showing we're not even close. At least we get a chance to put things right next week Emery can't afford to have his players screw that up.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Emeryates » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:04 pm

I get his plan today, but selection errors were baffling. I'd have dropped Pepe for Lacazette and gone with Torriera over Ceballos for what he seemed to be trying. To attack them would have been suicide and 10 men behind the ball was not that bad an idea.

However, Pepe is new and has little holdup play, and neither does Auba. I feel Xhaka pinging balls + Laca holding up would have been better for the strategy that Emery seemed to be aiming for.

Overall, we are far off the top two, but I do see some progress. That said, Willock is not good enough, I know he wasn't that bad but he really shouldn't be starting over Torriera in games.

I can see what the tactics were, but the team for such tactics were shit.
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Callum » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:06 pm

I've no issue with the manager today. The first 40 minutes or so we did a great job of frustrating Liverpool; they consistently resorted to crosses and we had more than enough bodies to deal with them, which lead to very few chances for them. Aubameyang and Pepe both had their moments and looked dangerous on the counter but ultimately their finishing was a little off and van Dijk is van Dijk.

Starting Lacazette would have meant sacrificing a midfielder and I don't think we could have done that. We had a plan and needed some better finishing and Luiz not to have a brain fart, but it didn't quite come off. Liverpool are a step above us so unless you execute the plan perfectly and get a bit of luck along the way, you'll lose to the better side most of the time.

Glad to see we had a plan and I'm confident we'll pick up a big scalp on the road this season. That's our hardest fixture of the season and we're far from our best so am not too worried about the result.
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football