Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Angelito wrote:Rafa Benitez would have this side competing for top-4 minimum and he's at Newcastle.

Do you really believe this?

Poor man's Jose Mourinho with an ego larger than the real Mourinho.

Please.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Nejch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Santi wrote:
Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:Yep still all ‘wonga’s’ Fault that we’re losing. Not like emery was praised for making iwobi look better at the start and now he looks shit again and not like emery is the one picking the lineups and formation.

All about wonga and always will be

Yawn

Yeah let's just pretend the last 15 years didn't happen

Sorry what relevance does that have? Everyone slagged wenger but he did just as good with this squad so far.

The relevance that has is that he's overseen some of the club's biggest successes, promised us the world by moving to the Emirates and then as the club started regressing footballing-wise due to the board just caring about the financial bottom line, leveraging his past success, he's played a role essentially serving as a PR rep to cover up the board's lack of ambition. Now that a new manager's come in, we immediately expect him to take this mediocre team and make them a world class side. Yes he definitely makes mistakes, some of them quite crucial but you can't expect a manager to come to a new club, a new league and have everything figured out immediately. Forget this season, wait for the transfer window and let's see next season 1. if he learns from his mistakes when he's had time to do so and 2. how our board behaves transfer-wise. If we'll be watching the same scenes next year, we know Emery's signing wasn't signalling ambition, but rather the continuation of the status quo.

The board is getting absolutely no pressure while in fact it's with them that everything starts and finishes at this club. What in god's name is the point for calling for another manager when they'll just hire another yes man and refuse to spend money anyway.

I'm so f***ing tired of how narrow minded a lot of posters here are. As if sacking Emery right now would change anything, are you being dense and naive on purpose? Criticize the manager absolutely but to call for Emery's head at this stage is just beyond ridiculous. We've rid ourselves of the manager who was seen as a big factor in why we're not performing, now that he's gone, the board should answer first.
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby rewb1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Emery doesn't like flair players or fast wingers, horrific stuff that is nothing to do with Wenger

What available 'flair players' and 'fast wingers' does he have? he's only been here five minutes 90% of the squad he inherited ... how the f**k is that nothing to do with the previous management?

Emery may be doing a piss poor job, but exactly what is he supposed to do with the piss poor squad he's inherited ....

How many people on here screamed that Lacca and Auba must start, well they did and how did that work out? Best of the our front three players was Iwobi by a mile.

We don't have enough quality in defence, we don't have enough quality in midfield, we do have it up front but if the defence and midfield can't supply the ball what's the point?

Leaving Ramsey on the bench and Ozil out completely is one thing but that performance was flat. We started slow and finished slow. Something has to be said about how the team came out and the sort of mentality they had. It was a really flat performance.

Emery is not an idiot, he knows how good ramsey is but ramsey has had issues with his future. Now that is sorted I expect him to start more until he leaves.
rewb1
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:10 pm

He deserves next season and the opportunity to purchase players I will give him that, the thing is what we are seeing is concerning and he doesn't have a CV that impresses me enough to have faith in him.

If this was simeone or allgeri you might overlook it as they have the CV.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Nejch wrote:The relevance that has is that he's overseen some of the club's biggest successes, promised us the world by moving to the Emirates and then as the club started regressing footballing-wise due to the board just caring about the financial bottom line, leveraging his past success, he's played a role essentially serving as a PR rep to cover up the board's lack of ambition. Now that a new manager's come in, we immediately expect him to take this mediocre team and make them a world class side. Yes he definitely makes mistakes, some of them quite crucial but you can't expect a manager to come to a new club, a new league and have everything figured out immediately. Forget this season, wait for the transfer window and let's see next season 1. if he learns from his mistakes when he's had time to do so and 2. how our board behaves transfer-wise. If we'll be watching the same scenes next year, we know Emery's signing wasn't signalling ambition, but rather the continuation of the status quo.

The board is getting absolutely no pressure while in fact it's with them that everything starts and finishes at this club. What in god's name is the point for calling for another manager when they'll just hire another yes man and refuse to spend money anyway.

I'm so f***ing tired of how narrow minded a lot of posters here are. As if sacking Emery right now would change anything, are you being dense and naive on purpose? Criticize the manager absolutely but to call for Emery's head at this stage is just beyond ridiculous. We've rid ourselves of the manager who was seen as a big factor in why we're not performing, now that he's gone, the board should answer first.

Very well said ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:
gooney wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:People expecting top notch attractive football with 2/3rd's of the players not up to it is just laughable.

So the manager has nothing to do with it? We are creating and shooting less than ever. We just have to admit he is a negative manager who dont like flair players. If you are providing attractive football you get leeway. Play negative boring football and get no result means fans will turn on you. But he can serve this the next 12 months and some fans will be behind him. I mean wenger had this for years

Whether we're positive or negative in our approach doesn't make a difference, when the players aren't good enough to get results on a consistent basis. The vast majority of the players simply aren't good enough. If we played all out attack, we'd get f***ked because our defence is shocking. What do you do?

The manager maybe to blame in part. But, given the absolute dross in this squad, I'm willing to give him time to try to get the players in to put his vision in place.

If he's not good enough, he will have to go too.

The squad is not great. But dont make them out to be a fulham. If you are gonna argue no one can do better....you are flat out wrong. A top manager never comprise his ways. If you are saying player for player we have the worst defense in the league. Thats nonsense.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:11 pm

rewb1 wrote:
Santi wrote:My gripe from the start wasn’t even the results, it still isn’t, you expect some shockers with a new manager and a new style. The problem is his style isn’t even decided in his own mind and so far what his style is looks dogshit. People got excited at us playing out from the back with a sweeper keeper at the start but this reliance on fullbacks for creating all our chances is a f***ing terrible idea.

Can show me a million stats how he’s doing better than klopp, pep or whoever at this respective stage, but they all had an exciting style being implemented...we don’t. That’s what has always f***ked me off the most. Even a spurs fan in the pub just now said this is the most boring Arsenal he’s ever seen and I couldn’t disagree.

Give me the fabregas possession ball and getting occasionally counter raped over this all day long.

to me our style is obvious, we are trying to be a high pressing ball playing team but he doesnt have the players for it. you think we can play that way with players like xhaka in midfield lol? wait untill emery gets his players ffs.

I just don’t see it mate, it’s like a mix of 2-3 styles atm and none of them are matching or really yielding great success. He has got Bellerin more involved going forward again, I forgot that in my last post in fairness.

However, our front 3 rarely press together. Our cm’s are both defensive every week which doesn’t fit well with a high pressing game. If you want high press then you should play Ramsey as running is the one thing he’s good at, yet he’s being let go and benched every week. We’re relying on creativity from our fullbacks but even when Bellerin and Kola are injured we play the same style, he needs to adapt until he has 4 fullbacks capable of playing his style in this case.

Finally, like I’ve said already, it doesn’t appear Emery will get the backing to get his players and in the mean time he is expected to do better with what he has, that was his selling point in the interview from what we’ve heard.

If we had either the news that we are able to buy big or we had a nice style of play, I’d have more patience. Unfortunately for Emery, the bird seem to be completely shagging him on the fiscal side.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Nejch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Angelito wrote:Rafa Benitez would have this side competing for top-4 minimum

Not just top-4, top 4 minimum. He'd probably mount a serious title challenge.
Jesus christ the state of our fanbase
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:
Angelito wrote:Rafa Benitez would have this side competing for top-4 minimum and he's at Newcastle.

Do you really believe this?

Poor man's Jose Mourinho with an ego larger than the real Mourinho.

Please.

A manager who's won La Liga twice with the same club that Emery later managed and failed to win anything with, has reached the UCL Final twice - winning one of 'em, has won two UEFA Cups/EL, and is Liverpool's greatest modern day manager—who is also the reason why Newcastle are even in the PL and is the reason why there's even talk of them being in it next season over Emery?

Yes, he'd have this side battling for top-4 minimum.

We don't have a bad squad. A top manager would easily finish 4th with this squad.

But apparently, it seems, playing 8 defensive players—3 CBs, 2 FBs, and 2 DMs, sometimes 3, against West f'kin Ham has become the new Arsenal way.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Goonerz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Looking out of top 4 race by January, out of LC, a cup tie with a rejuvenated united, the tide is getting pretty strong I hope he is a good swimmer.

Wenger that built this squad could not make it work ( finished 5th and 6th) in the last 2 seasons. But how can a new manager improve a dead squad that we all agree is a 5th / 6th placed at best? He is being told he can only hope for loan signings when the squad itself has peaked.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Santi wrote:
rewb1 wrote:
Santi wrote:My gripe from the start wasn’t even the results, it still isn’t, you expect some shockers with a new manager and a new style. The problem is his style isn’t even decided in his own mind and so far what his style is looks dogshit. People got excited at us playing out from the back with a sweeper keeper at the start but this reliance on fullbacks for creating all our chances is a f***ing terrible idea.

Can show me a million stats how he’s doing better than klopp, pep or whoever at this respective stage, but they all had an exciting style being implemented...we don’t. That’s what has always f***ked me off the most. Even a spurs fan in the pub just now said this is the most boring Arsenal he’s ever seen and I couldn’t disagree.

Give me the fabregas possession ball and getting occasionally counter raped over this all day long.

to me our style is obvious, we are trying to be a high pressing ball playing team but he doesnt have the players for it. you think we can play that way with players like xhaka in midfield lol? wait untill emery gets his players ffs.

I just don’t see it mate, it’s like a mix of 2-3 styles atm and none of them are matching or really yielding great success. He has got Bellerin more involved going forward again, I forgot that in my last post in fairness.

However, our front 3 rarely press together. Our cm’s are both defensive every week which doesn’t fit well with a high pressing game. If you want high press then you should play Ramsey as running is the one thing he’s good at, yet he’s being let go and benched every week. We’re relying on creativity from our fullbacks but even when Bellerin and Kola are injured we play the same style, he needs to adapt until he has 4 fullbacks capable of playing his style in this case.

Finally, like I’ve said already, it doesn’t appear Emery will get the backing to get his players and in the mean time he is expected to do better with what he has, that was his selling point in the interview from what we’ve heard.

If we had either the news that we are able to buy big or we had a nice style of play, I’d have more patience. Unfortunately for Emery, the bird seem to be completely shagging him on the fiscal side.

Add to that our only combinations in our play are out wide and are therefore predictable and easier to shutdown. There's nothing going on for us in the middle of the pitch
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:
Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:Yep still all ‘wonga’s’ Fault that we’re losing. Not like emery was praised for making iwobi look better at the start and now he looks shit again and not like emery is the one picking the lineups and formation.

Yawn

Sorry what relevance does that have? Everyone slagged wenger but he did just as good with this squad so far.

The relevance that has is that he's overseen some of the club's biggest successes, promised us the world by moving to the Emirates and then as the club started regressing footballing-wise due to the board just caring about the financial bottom line, leveraging his past success, he's played a role essentially serving as a PR rep to cover up the board's lack of ambition. Now that a new manager's come in, we immediately expect him to take this mediocre team and make them a world class side. Yes he definitely makes mistakes, some of them quite crucial but you can't expect a manager to come to a new club, a new league and have everything figured out immediately. Forget this season, wait for the transfer window and let's see next season 1. if he learns from his mistakes when he's had time to do so and 2. how our board behaves transfer-wise. If we'll be watching the same scenes next year, we know Emery's signing wasn't signalling ambition, but rather the continuation of the status quo.

Feel like I’ve answered all of this in my post on the last page, probably while you were typing this. Have a read and let me know if you still want to call me dense.

Btw I don’t think he should be sacked, I haven’t called for his head, but he’s not looking good and needs to do much better. I’ve also alluded to the issues with the board.

:)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:15 pm

gooney wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
gooney wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:People expecting top notch attractive football with 2/3rd's of the players not up to it is just laughable.

So the manager has nothing to do with it? We are creating and shooting less than ever. We just have to admit he is a negative manager who dont like flair players. If you are providing attractive football you get leeway. Play negative boring football and get no result means fans will turn on you. But he can serve this the next 12 months and some fans will be behind him. I mean wenger had this for years

Whether we're positive or negative in our approach doesn't make a difference, when the players aren't good enough to get results on a consistent basis. The vast majority of the players simply aren't good enough. If we played all out attack, we'd get f***ked because our defence is shocking. What do you do?

The manager maybe to blame in part. But, given the absolute dross in this squad, I'm willing to give him time to try to get the players in to put his vision in place.

If he's not good enough, he will have to go too.

The squad is not great. But dont make them out to be a fulham. If you are gonna argue no one can do better....you are flat out wrong. A top manager never comprise his ways. If you are saying player for player we have the worst defense in the league. Thats nonsense.

I don't even know where to start with this post.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gooney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:
Nejch wrote:

Yawn

The board is at fault. I know sackingvemery isnt gonna solve everything. The truth is we are early days is a bad era for arsenal. The more things go wrong now the quicker the whole house will collapse. This club has lost its way long time ago. Last thing we need is decent results season in season out. We need disaster. We need sh1t to really hit the fan. We need our fans to fight for our club. This is far bigger than emery who is not great manager by any means
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby BrunelGooner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:
Nejch wrote:

Yawn

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Top post.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football