Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:04 pm

theHotHead wrote:2 points I want to make.

1) People have been harping on about how Arsenal are no longer a big club and this and that and how we can't attract players. Well if I am not mistaken Saliba had suitors from richer/bigger clubs but chose Arsenal, the same for Pepe and the same for Ceballos. All 3 chose Arsenal. But but but, who wants to join Arsenal, a club supposedly not attractive to anyone :lol:

2) I have been honest with my analysis of Emery, there are some things I like and some things I don't. If I am not mistaken again, 2 of the 3 signings were the player's preference to play for Emery. So all this talk that Emery can't attract decent players is absolute hogwash.

Point 1) was mainly down to how we were running the club, we were thinking miniscule budgets, low brow signings etc ........... now that seems to have changed, its welcome.

Action changes reality, not opinions, this week AFC have achieved action.

As for nabbing Pep, well, £9m to the agent works wonders. :lol:
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:38 pm

We are working now with the captains. They are Xhaka, Ozil and Nacho Monreal. I want to add two more and then I am going to decide the number one, two, three, four and five in the next weeks.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/emery-club ... -transfers
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:44 pm

Lol so 2 players not good enough to play for Arsenal and the other is toxic. What a good choice
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Godlop » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:14 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:2 points I want to make.

1) People have been harping on about how Arsenal are no longer a big club and this and that and how we can't attract players. Well if I am not mistaken Saliba had suitors from richer/bigger clubs but chose Arsenal, the same for Pepe and the same for Ceballos. All 3 chose Arsenal. But but but, who wants to join Arsenal, a club supposedly not attractive to anyone :lol:

2) I have been honest with my analysis of Emery, there are some things I like and some things I don't. If I am not mistaken again, 2 of the 3 signings were the player's preference to play for Emery. So all this talk that Emery can't attract decent players is absolute hogwash.

Point 1) was mainly down to how we were running the club, we were thinking miniscule budgets, low brow signings etc ........... now that seems to have changed, its welcome.

Action changes reality, not opinions, this week AFC have achieved action.

As for nabbing Pep, well, £9m to the agent works wonders. :lol:

But the only thing that changed about Arsenal is that we bought players for 2 summer transfer windows in 1 window.
This means we won't be able to do much next season if we don't reach CL or sell players for a lot of money.

The main issue of Arsenal's transfer business still persist.
We simply don't fix the most blatant issues/holes in our squad.

The main targets this transfer window should've been:

1. the whole defense (CB -> LB -> RB)
2. A Winger
3. Central midfielder to replace Ramsey.

Yet what we did is the complete opposite.
I get it attacking signings are always more exciting for a fan but the right thing would've been to focus on the defense.

I also dislike how the club bascially put all the hopes of Arsenal fans into Saliba.
The kid is 18 years old and didn't even play 20 senior games yet...
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:04 pm

has any PL club signed a top CB though? we're at a point where Utd might get Dybala and Bruno Fernandes but can't seal a deal for a Leicester defender.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:31 am

aniym wrote:has any PL club signed a top CB though? we're at a point where Utd might get Dybala and Bruno Fernandes but can't seal a deal for a Leicester defender.

Dont think so. Then again, I'm not sure anyone really needs it in our league other than us and man u.

Still, we dont need to buy from within the league. There has to be one out there for the right price that can be a permanent fixture to cover kos and mustafi leaving this season. Next year saliba comes in as 4th choice and the new CB takes over from Sok as he grows older
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:36 am

I’d have spent 70 mil on MacGuire instead of Pepe.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:00 am

swipe right wrote:I’d have spent 70 mil on MacGuire instead of Pepe.

Then you'd be an idiot.

Auba is ageing and we're playing Iwobi.

Liverpool had their front 3 before they went all out on Van Dyke, in all fairness a £30m CB would give you most of what MacGuire does.

Over spending on CB's is ridiculous, there's loads of decent ones and a fraction of the price.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:23 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

Then you'd be an idiot.

Liverpool had their front 3 before they went all out on Van Dyke, in all fairness a £30m CB would give you most of what MacGuire does.

Over spending on CB's is ridiculous, there's loads of decent ones and a fraction of the price.

This.

The only CBs worth £70MM+ are VVD, Varane, Laporte, and Koulibaly. Unless we're getting one of them, there's no reason to spend huge money on one. We could get someone like Fabian Schar from Newcastle for around £10MM, and he'd improve our central defense imo

It's amazing to actually have an exceptional natural wide player again. Pepe will open up our game more than an elite CB would. After all, the best defense is a good offense, and if Pepe meshes with Auba and Laca (with Ozil, Ceballos, and Xhaka pinging balls to them and Bellerin and hopefully Tierney putting in crosses), we'll have a top 5 attack in Europe. Can't beat us if you can't outscore us.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby swipe right » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:43 am

My thinking is you always need one stalwart CB to anchor the defense. A Terry, Kompany, van Dijk type player. There are plenty of decent CBs out there for 30 mil but not that many leaders. I think MacGuire is the only such personality out there at the moment and therefore the inflated cost. Make no mistake Leicester will get what they are asking if not this season then next season.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:07 am

Zedie wrote:
aniym wrote:has any PL club signed a top CB though? we're at a point where Utd might get Dybala and Bruno Fernandes but can't seal a deal for a Leicester defender.

Dont think so. Then again, I'm not sure anyone really needs it in our league other than us and man u.

Still, we dont need to buy from within the league. There has to be one out there for the right price that can be a permanent fixture to cover kos and mustafi leaving this season. Next year saliba comes in as 4th choice and the new CB takes over from Sok as he grows older

Exactly this! You can't tell me in all of world football there are no suitable CBs that won't cost an arm and a leg.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:09 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

Then you'd be an idiot.

Exactly this. Go get a Championship CB and job done.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 am

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Then you'd be an idiot.

Exactly this. Go get a Championship CB and job done.

swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:31 am

Maguire is a meat and 2 veg CB, 2 a penny in the Championship.

Cultured CBs are the rare ones and they are the ones that cost big bucks.

Maguire is not worth anywhere near £70m
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:36 am

Maguire is rubbish lads
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football