Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Angelito » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:12 pm

The scorelines flatters us. It could easily have been 4-4 by the end of the game.

We were never comfortable. The usual signs of us collapsing were there and both teams were poor. Our midfield was non-existent as usual.

We had 45% ball possession. Conceded 24 shots, as opposed to our 16. They won 11 corners as opposed to our 2 corners. Luckily, we created more clear cut chances. And, luckily, they didn't want to finish their chances today.

We've been in a downward spiral ever since that unbeaten run last year. This way of playing is unsustainable and simply not good enough. We're holding for dear life against every opponent these days.

Today, we had a lot of youngsters out there. I'm not too fussed about what happened today specifically. It's the general trend that's bothering me.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Some react to the performance, regardless of the score. Some just react off the score and that influences how they view the performance.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Angelito wrote:The scorelines flatters us. It could easily have been 4-4 by the end of the game.

We were never comfortable. The usual signs of us collapsing were there and both teams were poor. Our midfield was non-existent as usual.

We had 45% ball possession. Conceded 24 shots, as opposed to our 16. They won 11 corners as opposed to our 2 corners. Luckily, we created more clear cut chances. And, luckily, they didn't want to finish their chances today.

We've been in a downward spiral ever since that unbeaten run last year. This way of playing is unsustainable and simply not good enough. We're holding for dear life against every opponent these days.

Today, we had a lot of youngsters out there. I'm not too fussed about what happened today specifically. It's the general trend that's bothering me.

couldn't agree more
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:20 pm

I think Emery's biggest weakness is learning how to beat Premier league mid and lower teams.

He seems to do ok against the top 6 outside of Pool and City but its the team vs the bottom half of the table that he really needs to sort out.

I think he just needs to realise that we have the fire power so use it, if you turn it into a defensive sit back dog fight that's what your Wolverhamptons etc are best at, we just need to pour on the quality and we'll come out on top.

If he learned that we'd be ok.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:32 pm

Nothing to be elated much after beating a pub team. Once again any PL team will have a go at us with the midfield being wide open.
The EL is really a 3rd tier contest until SF.
But must say was impressed w/ Willock and Saka today. Smith-Rowe needs more game time though.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:34 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I think Emery's biggest weakness is learning how to beat Premier league mid and lower teams.

He seems to do ok against the top 6 outside of Pool and City but its the team vs the bottom half of the table that he really needs to sort out.

I think he just needs to realise that we have the fire power so use it, if you turn it into a defensive sit back dog fight that's what your Wolverhamptons etc are best at, we just need to pour on the quality and we'll come out on top.

If he learned that we'd be ok.

send me your postcode. I will find you and show you why they call me Diamond 'Knuckles' Geeeezzzaaaaaaa

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Look at this groupie. :rolleyes:
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Heyyyy
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Losmeister » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Angelito wrote:. This way of playing is unsustainable and simply not good enough. We're holding for dear life against every opponent these days.

yes.

i mean, you always take the win but... sheesh, the look of us!

so, yeah, in the recent poll i voted emery out. cos i dont think we show signs of GETTING BETTER... and we'll need to be better...cos, frankly, even if we make it to UCL getting bounced in the first KO rnd again doesnt get me excited....

i aint gonna be caustic and bilious all the damned time cos it takes too much outta me.... but... yeah, i think we need more than emery seems to be offering,...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:02 pm

First English team to ever win in Frankfurt

Emery has put himself in the history books with this

Its a good reaction to the horror 2nd half v Watford.

Let's put villa to the sword and get third.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby elkanofan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Angelito wrote:The scorelines flatters us. It could easily have been 4-4 by the end of the game.

We've been in a downward spiral ever since that unbeaten run last year.

No, its actually since Ramsey got injured vs Napoli we have been crap. we have had one good game since and that was the 4-2 vs Valencia and even that was just our strikers taking advantage of them taking risks.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gamechannel » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Ach wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
Ach wrote:What's godlop, alexafc and gooney?

Nowhere to be seen

See this is what's wrong with this forum. You're trying to start a pissing contest. We are all (including AlexFC, Gooney, Godlop, Angelito et al) happy that Arsenal won. Get it out of your hand that we want to see Arsenal fail. We just haven't seen any good evidence (today included) that Emery is the guy to take us forward - just like Wenger wasn't either. If you're Emery FC, that's a different story. But don't come in here gloating as if today's win was due to Emery's brilliance. if anything, we won despite Emery.

Ah the lose and it's all Emery and win and nothing to do with him argument

Can you really, in all honesty, say that we had a good win today? I know a win is a win is a win. But c'on man, you can't possibly tell me that we didn't get lucky with Frankfurt being shit at finishing and us getting a man advantage.

Oh by the way, I have said this last week too. We lost last week cuz of individual mistakes as well as Emery's stupid tactics to sit back and let Watford play as if they were Man City. And we won today because of Frankfurt's terrible end product, some key saves from Martinez and Saka's brilliance. Emery damn well made sure that Frankfurt were in the game until the ref helped is out with the harsh red.

I'm consistent in my assessment of Emery. As are most of those you or some of your fellow Emery supporters call "Emery Haters".
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:44 pm

Yes I can

3-0 away from a home against a side no English team has ever won at with a bunch of kids and players lacking confidence. It's a brilliant win. Couldn't care less they had more shots against us than we had v them.

We had by far the better chances and should've won by more
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Yeah in all seriousness that "shots against us" critic is fkin bad.

You can't control how many shots a team has at you, especially when they're desperately trailing a game.

What matters is how many of those go in or how many of them are quality shots.

Are we going to count it if they're shooting loads from 20 yards out? that's desperation because you can't break down a defence ............. nothing to critic about.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:59 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Yeah in all seriousness that "shots against us" critic is fkin bad.

You can't control how many shots a team has at you, especially when they're desperately trailing a game.

What matters is how many of those go in or how many of them are quality shots.

Are we going to count it if they're shooting loads from 20 yards out? that's desperation because you can't break down a defence ............. nothing to critic about.

Yup

Called it a pointless stat after the Watford game when people were posting up the other teams in every game have had more shots than us. We were as comfortable as can be v Newcastle and Burnley.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football