Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Roycck » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:43 am

Same as Wenger, stubborn of Emery to keep playing Xhaka ahead of more dynamic players like Guendouzi, Torreira or Willock. Of course not forgetting Mustafi should be a better RB than AMN,

Just plain silly.
Roycck
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Rockape » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:54 am

Despite the obvious issues of playing Xhaka and Niles, we’ve had a series of calamities from our defense, as well as losing Kos and Monreal,long term injures to Holding and Bellers, plus Tierney unavaible. ....which have all had an impact.

We desperately need to get our best players back and settled, which will give us a much more solid platform to work from. I’m still prepared to back the manager until we achieve this and see the results.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CaptGooner » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:19 am

I’ve been patient but it’s hard to see how we will progress under Emery. Xhaka appears to be undroppable, and as long as he plays we will never have a dominant midfield.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Rockape » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:33 am

CaptGooner wrote:I’ve been patient but it’s hard to see how we will progress under Emery. Xhaka appears to be undroppable, and as long as he plays we will never have a dominant midfield.

You’re right, I’ve slagged off Xhaka for a long time and don’t get it either, but until such time as we have a decent platform to build from, I’ll remain a discontented, but loyal fan.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Angelito wrote:
Losmeister wrote:"Saying arsenal conceding most shots in europe top 5 leagues is acceptable? "

idea. DONT accept it. stamp your feet and LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS on the way out and stop spreading your f***ing bile.

Everything Gooney said was factual in that post.

I'm sorry but those defending Unai only have sentiment as their modus operandi.

You need to counter his points with facts.

Oh do we ?have answered countless incorrect posts from honey that have garnered no further response from him
But have to treat his diatribe of misery against the club as though its ancient gospel
I only answer his posts to talk to sensible people whose opinion I value
He lost
That right some time ago when he admitted trolling
To say I do not have concerns about Emery would be a lie but this piling in on any negative us galling
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:00 pm

tufnelltoughie wrote:
Sims wrote:

All with a better squad you know

It's a case of here is the new boss, same as the old boss.

We HAVE been fooled again!

Anyway anyhow anywhere
3 points
All that matter legal or otherwise
starmandb

Postby Angelito » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:36 pm

starmandb wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Losmeister wrote:"Saying arsenal conceding most shots in europe top 5 leagues is acceptable? "

idea. DONT accept it. stamp your feet and LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS on the way out and stop spreading your f***ing bile.

Everything Gooney said was factual in that post.

I'm sorry but those defending Unai only have sentiment as their modus operandi.

You need to counter his points with facts.

Oh do we ?have answered countless incorrect posts from honey that have garnered no further response from him
But have to treat his diatribe of misery against the club as though its ancient gospel
I only answer his posts to talk to sensible people whose opinion I value
He lost
That right some time ago when he admitted trolling
To say I do not have concerns about Emery would be a lie but this piling in on any negative us galling

Your concerns over Emery are valid because there are issues to be concerned of.

Why exactly should Emery stay as Arsenal head coach? He will, most likely, be judged on his finishing place at the end of the season. Some of us believe he's not the right man to take us forward even we finish in the top-4 because of specific problems in his management style that you probably are well aware of if you've read posts detailing those issues here.

If a manager who's barely done more than Wenger in the last 44 games—despite having a superior team and despite being hired with the expectation of taking us farther ahead than Wenger was able to in his final years—is, accto you, the right man for Arsenal, you are overlooking facts, ignoring problematic areas that are only growing, and underestimating the implications of our stylistic and statistical failure come the end of the season. Stylistically, we're already failing. Statistically, we're being saved by individual brilliances than the tactical nous of a manager.

In defense of Emery, however, I have noticed that our youngsters seem to be doing better than they were under Wenger in his final years. Now whether that's Ljungberg's untold influence, our lucky stars to have stumbled upon some great talents, or Unai's methods in training, that's one aspect which has gotten significantly better.

Nonetheless, Gooney's reputation aside, his points there are valid and factual. I still am to hear a factual and critical argument on why Emery should stay as Arsenal head coach. Most of it has been whataboutism, straight up insults, or arguments that only flirt with the issue at hand.

If you can oblige, I'm all ears.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach aka THE DON

Postby starmandb » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:58 pm

I dont readily accept that we have a better squad than chelsea man utd and Tottenham
That is down to Wenger criminally neglecting areas of the squad that needed
Improving
I really dont get this we should be walzing into third thing
Wenger engendered an excuse soft 4th is good enough culture that needs to be turned around
I never believed for a moment that a better manager wouldnot get a better tune out of what we had and finally improve areas that we didn't
There are issues at the moment that if not resolved will need the club to go again
It held no fear for me when the careful what you wish for brigade were in full flow
Nor does it now
If he fails to pragmatically work on our strengths then he must be sacrificed.
No ifs or buts that is the reality of life at a big clue will be judged on results as all should
There has been too much let slide at the club
starmandb

Postby Angelito » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:29 pm

starmandb wrote:I dont readily accept that we have a better squad than chelsea man utd and Tottenham
Improving
Wenger engendered an excuse soft 4th is good enough culture that needs to be turned around
I never believed for a moment that a better manager wouldnot get a better tune out of what we had and finally improve areas that we didn't
There are issues at the moment that if not resolved will need the club to go again
It held no fear for me when the careful what you wish for brigade were in full flow
Nor does it now
No ifs or buts that is the reality of life at a big clue will be judged on results as all should

I don't even know where to start with this, Starman.

First things first, since the Invincibles, we've *never* had a better squad than ManU, Chelsea, or City. Not better than ManU until perhaps last season. Yet, why is it that Wenger never had that liberty? He was expected to win titles without having a squad as good as those teams, nor the financial muscles.

Why the double standards now?

On today's ManU/Chelsea/Spurs, we have a comfortably better squad than ManU and Chelsea. The only one arguable there are Spurs.

Our attack is miles better than Chelsea or ManU's attack. Our midfield is miles better than ManU or Chelsea's midfield.

We have an array of attacking talent in Aubameyang, Lacazette, and Pepe.

We have midfielders who range from great and dynamic to robust and compact. Whether it's Ceballos, Ozil, Geundouzi, or Torreira, they're amongst the best in their designated areas in the Prem.

Our only weakness is the defense, yet neither ManU nor Chelsea have a world class defense.

ManU have one top class/world class player in Pogba.

Chelsea have one top class/world class player in Kante.

At Arsenal, we have arguably three top class/world class players in Aubameyang, Lacazette, and Ozil. Then, we have the likes of Guendouzi who's so far proving to be our POTS not named Aubameyang. We have Torreira. We have Ceballos. We have Pepe. I'm not even counting Bellerin because he hasn't featured yet.

Unai Emery hasn't used our squad well. It doesn't mean we have a poor one. This squad is arguably the best we've had in the Emirates era. The starting 11 is probably right up there with the one we had in 07/08.

Spurs do have an array of world class/top class players: Eriksen, Son, Kane, Vertonghen, Alderweirald. That's not even counting the likes of Lo Celso, Alli, Ndombele, and Rose.

That's why in my predictions, I had predicted the top-4 to be Liverpool, City, Arsenal, and Spurs in that order. Whilst Spurs have a better squad than us, they're undergoing an existential crisis. This season, 3rd is ours to lose.

Not only the squad, we also have a better coach/manager than Chelsea's or United's. At the starts of last season, it was more or less Pep = Klopp > Poch > Sarri > Jose > Emery (Top-6 only). This season, it's Pep = Klopp > Poch > Emery > Lampard > Solksjaer (Top-6 only). If Emery loses to Lampard and Solksjaer, it would be a travesty.

On Wenger, we can't forever blame Wenger. I see you haven't gotten over your Wenger hangover. But let's go through facts:

- Did Wenger suddenly decide he was going to fold at Arsenal after the Invincibles/UCL FInal or was it the circumstances at the time that dictated our status and aspirations?
- Did Wenger decide to willfully sell all the players, or did we need that money and the UCL money during those years of financial austerity?
- Did Wenger tell the board that Top-4 is the new goal and anyone who'd mention anything above and beyond that would be sacked and replaced?
- Did Wenger, more importantly, ever have a better squad than ManU until perhaps 16/17? Did Wenger have a better squad than Chelsea from 2006 until the time he left? Did Wenger have a better squad than Man City starting from 10/11?

Huh?

If you want to talk about squad depth alone, 'Pool don't have a squad as good as Man City, save for their famed front three. Yet, they won the UCL. Yet, the pushed City all the way. Yet, they're top of the league right now. That's what a top manager is capable of doing. We wanted that manager. We wanted Klopp or Simeone or Conte - to take us forward. We wanted someone better than the Wenger of the last 4-5 years. But we have moved laterally.

So, in essence, it's not Wenger who defined the law at Arsenal. It was the situation at Arsenal and it was Kroenke for almost all of this decade. 4th was not good enough for Wenger. 4th was necessary for Arsenal. And, Wenger pulled it off on a shoestring budget, whilst playing the best football in the league - arguably Europe.

Nonetheless, you still haven't told me why Emery deserves to remain Arsenal head coach. All of us gave him time. He's been here for 15 months now. Since he's been here, we've spent approx. £200m and this summer alone, we've spent more money than all the top clubs in England, bar Man City.

The problem is managerial and tactical. In the last two games, we've been down at home at the Emirates. We've conceded 4 goals in the last 2 home games. We're barely scraping past teams we should be blowing away. We're too dependent on flashes of individual brilliance. There doesn't seem to be a proper plan in action.

What do you think we're trying to achieve? We can't defend well even if our lives depended on it. We've conceded 10 goals already in the Prem. We look totally vulnerable. The midfield is non-existent. There isn't a specific way we seem to want to play. 15 months and we have no clue what Unai's plans for Arsenal are. 15 months in and we still change personnel every game, we change formations more or less every game.

These issues are merely scratching the surface. These are some of the reasons why Unai Emery isn't good enough for Arsenal. Now, add this to Unai's history as a manager: his history of collapses, his tactical rigidity, his away record, his track record in the League when reaching the latter stages of the EL, his track record in the UCL, his concerning man-management..

It's all fundamentally laid out. And, why does he repeatedly insist on playing Xhaka? Why can't he allow the players enough freedom against sides placed 7-20?

Nobody has an agenda against Unai Emery here. But he isn't doing himself any favors by employing favoritism at Arsenal, by not effectively improving the team's defense, by worsening our fluidity and flow despite having two world class forwards at his disposal, and by chopping and changing systems far too often—almost every game.

What is your defense of Unai Emery?

Apart from loyalty, apart from the fact that Unai isn't Wenger, apart from perhaps stability, and apart from the likelihood that the ideal manager isn't available, why should we rationally keep Emery? What is your defense of Emery?

I can only think of stability as a valid response. It might be tricky sacking him now because it's a risk. We're 4th. So, if a new manager comes in, he might need some time before he can get to the speed of the new league/team.

We have a difficult decision to make. Last season's collapse is signature Unai Emery. Our poor away form is signature Unai Emery even if it started under Wenger in his final season. If we make it to the top-4, I'd say Unai would have done his job. I wouldn't extend his contract beyond the summer even if we finish 4th because he's simply not right for Arsenal, for a club that wants to move ahead. Yet, if we don't finish in the top-4, we'd have been out of the UCL for 4 seasons.

I haven't seen any Unai supporter here present a proper argument as to why Unai Emery should remain Arsenal manager. As I said before, it's either whataboutism; or trolling, or indulging in senseless attacks, or simply beating around the bush.

Why?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:46 pm

CaptGooner wrote:I’ve been patient but it’s hard to see how we will progress under Emery. Xhaka appears to be undroppable, and as long as he plays we will never have a dominant midfield.

We improved last season from the previous season. A shit ending doesn't change that. Looks like we are improving further this. Helps our rivals are shit of course but that's not the sole reason. We got top 4 for years under the previous regime cos rivals were shit and as soon as they weren't we stopped getting top 4.

Emery isn't perfect. Far from it. But I'm hoping with the subbing of Xhaka and the reaction he got, something has clicked.

For me this looks like what klopp did at Liverpool. Their defence til they got VVD was atrocious. They got him years in to his reign. We're a season and 6 games in to emerys. There's no quick fix no matter what people say. Will it go the same way? I hope so. We already have a better mentality and never knowing when to give up this season. Further improvements are incoming.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:42 pm

What a week

9 goals. Injured players back.

Entertaining football.

Kids coming good.

Unai emerys red army coming good. Need this feel good factor to stay
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:17 pm

I really hope that this win and the comeback against Villa drills Xhaka's ineptitude home for Emery.

There's no reason to be starting Xhaka.

We have enough midfield firepower.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby elkanofan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:32 pm

Angelito wrote:
starmandb wrote:I dont readily accept that we have a better squad than chelsea man utd and Tottenham
Improving
Nor does it now

I don't even know where to start with this, Starman.

First things first, since the Invincibles, we've *never* had a better squad than ManU, Chelsea, or City. Not better than ManU until perhaps last season. Yet, why is it that Wenger never had that liberty? He was expected to win titles without having a squad as good as those teams, nor the financial muscles.

Why the double standards now?

On today's ManU/Chelsea/Spurs, we have a comfortably better squad than ManU and Chelsea. The only one arguable there are Spurs.

Our attack is miles better than Chelsea or ManU's attack. Our midfield is miles better than ManU or Chelsea's midfield.

We have an array of attacking talent in Aubameyang, Lacazette, and Pepe.

We have midfielders who range from great and dynamic to robust and compact. Whether it's Ceballos, Ozil, Geundouzi, or Torreira, they're amongst the best in their designated areas in the Prem.

Our only weakness is the defense, yet neither ManU nor Chelsea have a world class defense.

I told you before, our midfield isn't good enough. Its worse than United's and Chelesea's

Chelsea's is defiantly better, its much more balanced with more players who can compliment eachover in different roles, hence whey they smashed us in Baku, their midfield took over and bosses the match. We don't have a balanced midfield at all. We have too many box to box or defensive mids and attacks break down in bad situations leaving the defence exposed and also many players in our midfield are new don't know eachovers game fully yet, plus young players are prone to errors. Our midfield really doesn't have much fluidity to it. This will take time.

Also our attack, well you mean our strikers are better than Chelsea's and United's our strikers who really can only play as strikers but Chelsea do have an abundance of not just experienced strikers but attacking mids, wingers, number 10'/second strikers. We don't!

we have one number 10 in Ozil who is shit. Can't even last a full game anymore vs a lower league team, there is no excuse for his pathetic conditioning, hes just not a professional anymore, he did a FULL pre season FFS! He cares more about his brand and being the Turkish Beckham and playing at a top level, so hes just sitting on his huge wages he don't deserve because he knows unless he goes China this is his last payday. He wont even get this amount in Turkey.

My Man United friend laughs at the view that Ozil is world class, hes never been properly world class, he has one aspect to his game which is world class which is his passing and high level of technique, hes always been a luxury player at his best and his best days are already past him.

At Arsenal, we have arguably three top class/world class players in Aubameyang, Lacazette, and Ozil. Then, we have the likes of Guendouzi who's so far proving to be our POTS not named Aubameyang. We have Torreira. We have Ceballos. We have Pepe. I'm not even counting Bellerin because he hasn't featured yet.

Ozil is finished, this is not 2012 no more nor 2015 either!

Unai Emery hasn't used our squad well. It doesn't mean we have a poor one. This squad is arguably the best we've had in the Emirates era. The starting 11 is probably right up there with the one we had in 07/08.

No, this is actually one of the weakest squads we have had in a while, maybe marginally better than 12-13 which was the worst but we are in terms of squad quality probably the weakest out of the top 6, I'd say United edge us simply because we don't have anyone bar maybe our front 2 who are as good as Pogba in talent sense. What makes it a weak squad is what i have been screaming about! There is a balance issue between attack and defence.
Last edited by elkanofan on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:40 pm

It's not worse. We just keep playing the wrong combination along with Emery playing Torreira as a box to box player. Playing Xhaka as a DM whilst allowing the two CM's beside him to roam forward is suicidal.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Emery has a lot of decisions before the utd game very interesting if xhaka starts, holdi g will start with AMN being suspended, Teirney must start if fit enough and play the maximum time he can safely, the group of youngsters at his disposal are as good a group as Davis, Roecastle, Adam's when they started.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football