Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery THE DON

Postby Ach » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:05 pm

They all imploded few years ago as well. You can add Liverpool and Manchester city to that as well.

What happened then?

We couldn't finish ahead of Leicester lol
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Ach wrote:They all imploded few years ago as well. You can add Liverpool and Manchester city to that as well.

What happened then?

We couldn't finish ahead of Leicester lol

Yes that’s true. For about two decades Arsenal and United were the only teams consistently in the top four. Everyone else had good and bad years and dropped in and out.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Losmeister » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Dejan wrote:
ag6789 wrote:If Wenger's worst year is his yardstick, then Good help us!

Dont see the problem with using Wengers last year as a measure because thats the team that Emery enherited.

However, If we win the remaining games (dont see why we couldnt), we have best season (pts wise) in 12 years.

Unai the don

I mean,I think you actually CAN see.... but are saying you can ALSO SEE that it's possible we grind it out....

likley there will much agita :coffee2:
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Except it isn't
We are on coarse for more points than 14 of Wenger,s seasons
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Goonerz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:26 pm

I still have a lot of anger towards Wenger like a lot of my fellow gooners but can’t people stop with the complete disrespect towards him?
The names they call him show pure hate.

Can’t some people have some humility for once wheb refering to him?

The man is what made Arsenal the global brand it is today and i can bet that many of the young people that seem to have so much hate towards him only started supporting Arsenal because of what wenger turned us into.

It seems like His own success at Arsenal turned many of us into entitled brats.

I was one of wengers biggest supporters that also turned into Wengers biggest critic in his later seasons. I say that there is not need for name calling. We all know he has become delusional but let’s reserve a bit of respect for the man that is reason we have as much expectations as we do today.

Just saying..
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:27 pm

I'm just saying it like it is.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Goonerz wrote:I still have a lot of anger towards Wenger like a lot of my fellow gooners but can’t people stop with the complete disrespect towards him?

The man is what made Arsenal the global brand it is today and i can bet that many of the young people that seem to have so much hate towards him only started supporting Arsenal because of what wenger turned us into.

I was one of wengers biggest supporters that also turned into Wengers biggest critic in his later seasons. I say that there is not need for name calling. We all know he has become delusional but let’s reserve a bit of respect for the man that is reason we have as much expectations as we do today.

Just saying..

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:40 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Goonerz wrote:I still have a lot of anger towards Wenger like a lot of my fellow gooners but can’t people stop with the complete disrespect towards him?

Just saying..

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Dejan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Losmeister wrote:
Dejan wrote:

Dont see the problem with using Wengers last year as a measure because thats the team that Emery enherited.

However, If we win the remaining games (dont see why we couldnt), we have best season (pts wise) in 12 years.

Unai the don

I mean,I think you actually CAN see.... but are saying you can ALSO SEE that it's possible we grind it out....

likley there will much agita :coffee2:
Dont understand this post at all loool

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:19 pm

Arsenal in 2015-16 had 71 pts and 2nd in PL.
Arsenal in 2016-17 had 75 pts and came 5th. Both respectable by any standards, only the competition has stiffened in recent years.
Last season they stood 6th w/63- which I agree was well below par and can be considered an statistical outlayer and Wenger paid the price by leaving- but then how it can be considered an yardstick is beyond me. This season we have upgraded by including quality players in Torreira and Sokratis and kept all our top players. So I believe our yardstick should be an average season with around 72 pts, not considering cup victories ( which should also have a great impact when success is considered).
So Unai needs to better 72pts to be little above average and get a B grade and continue. Otherwise his first season is a failure ( not necessarily he has to go, but should be marked as short of target).
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:55 pm

Wenger averaged 75 points
starmandb

Postby ag6789 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:25 am

Right. I have been conservative. In that case, Unai's target is 75+. That's his yardstick.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:55 am

Im not having this Emery inherited Wenger team nonsense, Emery also brought in a new Keeper, CB, Dm and CM who have played the majority of Arsenal's games. Thats 36% of the team totally different from the players Wenger had. Not wholesale but enough to make a difference.

And also I don't buy the argument that Wenger left shit players, if they were shit we wouldn't be battling for 3rd place on 66 pts with 5 games to go. And also don't give me that cobblers about Emery working miracles, its simply a case of better management, yes plus the players playing more to their potential. Its unison of the 2 things.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:13 am

theHotHead wrote:Im not having this Emery inherited Wenger team nonsense, Emery also brought in a new Keeper, CB, Dm and CM who have played the majority of Arsenal's games. Thats 36% of the team totally different from the players Wenger had. Not wholesale but enough to make a difference.

And also I don't buy the argument that Wenger left shit players, if they were shit we wouldn't be battling for 3rd place on 66 pts with 5 games to go. And also don't give me that cobblers about Emery working miracles, its simply a case of better management, yes plus the players playing more to their potential. Its unison of the 2 things.

Yep. And can we just talk about how boring the football is. I miss Cesc’s through balls, and I miss na na na Nasri, and I miss Ade and van Persie, and I miss Hleb darting down the flanks, and I miss Pat Rice shouting go to the ball.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Rockape » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:14 am

....its simply a case of better management...

That’s all you needed to say.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football