Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery

Postby Angelito » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:18 pm

Santi wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50865120

Short interview with Guillem Ballbag and Emery. Reckons it all went wrong in the space of a month lmao

His inability to learn has always been a problem and has plagued him everywhere he's gone.

He didn't want to be a fool at Arsenal like he was at PSG, hence, he chose to go against our star-player, Ozil—to stamp his authority. He didn't realize that neither Arsenal, nor Ozil are like PSG or Neymar.

He applied Sevilla tactics at Arsenal, not realizing the scale of this club, or fans' expectations.

Unai was always the wrong man to take over from Arsene. Apparently, he didn't call Wenger once during his tenure as Arsenal head coach. Not after taking over, not at any point. His ego has always been bigger than his ability.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:35 pm

Short interview with Guillem Ballbag and Emery. Reckons it all went wrong in the space of a month lmao

I knew he was delusional.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Re: OFFICIAL: Emery Sacked

Postby swipe right » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:25 am

Ach wrote:Is it too late to bring him back?

Yep. But it’s not too late for you to join him.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Class person. Shame he's a mediocre coach.

Someone on Reddit said it best. Paraphrasing: Emery is a pundit/analyst who tries to be a manager, and that's why he'll never be a top coach.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:01 am

Unai Emery: “At Arsenal, some stars did not have a good attitude and asked for more than what they were giving back.”

Speaking to France Football, Unai Emery discussed his time at Arsenal.

“Arsenal was a club on a downward slope for two years before I arrived. We stopped this fall and even began to rebuild the club with the Europa League final and 5th place in the league, only one point off of Tottenham despite the fact that we took just one point in our final five matches. We had Champions’ League qualification in our grasp and it went wrong in the end. But it was a good season and we had this notion of continuing to improve. But we lost our four captains: Koscielny, Cech, Ramsey and Monreal. They were personalities that we missed this season to stay on the right track. And some stars did not have a good attitude and asked for more than what they were giving back. Taking all of that into account, we needed time to succeed with our transition to a new Arsenal which is what I wanted. For example, Nicolas Pépé, who was the club’s choice, clearly needed time to adapt. But I accept the rule of thumb and that I am poorly placed to criticise because I also benefited from such judgement in the past… I obviously am partly responsible, but you see that the team has not exactly done better since I left.”

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2 ... ving-back/

The fact that he considers his first season a success here is why he was sacked by PSG, by Arsenal, and will never be a top manager.

He has learning disability, it would appear.

And he thinks he stopped "the fall," whilst bragging about the situation where Arteta has to clear up the mess he created.

Should have sacked the man in January. Mediocre manager with an over-inflated ego.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:06 am

Not sure I disagree with anything he said there tbh

Downward spiral before he left

Europa league final (which probably caused the drop in form for last few league games) and fifth now looking like a success

Bit about Pepe needing time also true

He admits he is partly to blame

Not sure what there is to argue about :dontknow:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:54 am

Tony Adams wrote:Not sure I disagree with anything he said there tbh

Europa league final (which probably caused the drop in form for last few league games) and fifth now looking like a success

Jep

Dont really disagree with anything

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:04 am

What did he do to stop that downward spiral? We finished with 75 points in one of those two seasons. We won the FA Cup. Yet, he calls 18/19 a good season.

The final run-in of 18/19 is the worst collapse we've ever seen. That embarrassment of a EL Final was the cherry on top.

He left us worse than he found us. He was sacked because he broke several infamous Arsenal records.

He considers 18/19 a good season when we were abject for most of it.

Isn't hard to see why he will never be a top manager.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:26 am

Dejan wrote:

Jep

Dont really disagree with anything

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Yup. Pretty much agree with it all.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:33 pm

Emery is delusional and I see why players dislike him. I'll be surprised if he gets another top job since he's again shown again that he can't handle top players and loses control of the dressing room. He has the sort of loser mentality we don't want if he actually believes last season was a success.
Last edited by Power n Glory on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:36 pm

How would coming 5th with no trophy and getting smashed in the easy league final count as a good season
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Angelito wrote:

What did he do to stop that downward spiral? We finished with 75 points in one of those two seasons. We won the FA Cup. Yet, he calls 18/19 a good season.

The final run-in of 18/19 is the worst collapse we've ever seen. That embarrassment of a EL Final was the cherry on top.

He left us worse than he found us. He was sacked because he broke several infamous Arsenal records.

He considers 18/19 a good season when we were abject for most of it.

Isn't hard to see why he will never be a top manager.
Worst collapse you've ever seen? How about after the Eduardo injury in 08? Thats the worst I've seen. We should've won the league that season.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:35 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:How would coming 5th with no trophy and getting smashed in the easy league final count as a good season

It was a good starting point to build on going on to this season. Unfortunately we hit our shit run at the end of last season when we didn't have one during. But fifth and a final is a better season than challenging Burnley for a place in Europe.

Unfortunately we didn't kick on this season despite being third at one point.

Another bad run and emery was gone. Haven't recovered yet and seem unlikely to do so
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:48 pm

During the time he was in charge we made no progress whatsoever. None.

If anything we became worse.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:26 am

The funny thing is he started off okay, first season bar Crystal Palace onwards was actually half decent, we were looking good for top 4.

But then he started second guessing himself, he couldn't sort out the defence or get his 4-3-3 to work so he kept swapping with 3-4-3 to have 5 at the back to plug the holes, it worked most of the time and stabilized some results but then he never fully committed to it despite the better results, he kept trying to succeed with 4-3-3 even after the Utd battering etc.

The players were just confused.

Then came the 2nd season and it was just a mess from the off.

Torreria placed basically as CAM, Pepe frozen out, Ozil frozen out until Unai buckled in a panic due to results, made Xhaka captain when at the time most fans wanted him gone for his unreliable fk ups and basically being a liability, you don't make a liabilty your captain.

Then it was the 4 captains BS showing indecision, also allowing the players to vote on the captain rather than picking your own.

The 2nd season was a shambles.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football