Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery THE DON

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:19 pm

Ach wrote:We are winning at home and inconsistent away. Nothing has changed.

Other than other clubs being dog which has put us third but that's something we can't do anything about

Doing a good job then and one now

You conveniently missed the part where we played the worst football in recent Arsenal history by him alienating Ozil, not playing Ramsey and not starting with Laca and Auba enough, not to mention using formations that didn't suit the tactics,

He fixed all of the above - and now we look like a decent team. If you honestly think nothing has changed well ......... I can't help you.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerz » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Other than other clubs being dog which has put us third but that's something we can't do anything about

My exact thinking.
We are largely winning our home games as always. The spuds went through a mini deep but are now back winning their games again. They have now won their 2 last. The question is “What are we going to do about it in our next 2?”

The inconsistency has mostly been away from home. If we continue with it then nothing would have changed.

It will be back to “We told you that Emery can’t manage big clubs or superstar players. He has turned us into Seville”.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Goonerz wrote:

My exact thinking.
We are largely winning our home games as always. The spuds went through a mini deep but are now back winning their games again. They have now won their 2 last. The question is “What are we going to do about it in our next 2?”

The inconsistency has mostly been away from home. If we continue with it then nothing would have changed.

It will be back to “We told you that Emery can’t manage big clubs or superstar players. He has turned us into Seville”.

Being inconsistent away from home has been one of our problems this season but it has not been the only problem.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby LMAO » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:05 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Goonerz wrote:

My exact thinking.

Being inconsistent away from home has been one of our problems this season but it has not been the only problem.

This.

Ffs I criticized Emery after our win at Huddersfield. The destination was good (i.e., winning three points), but the journey was not (being a pansy playing defensively against the worst team in the league).

When he gave his opening interview, he said he'd rather win 5-4 than 1-0, and there was that patch for the first couple months of this year where we played some truly dreadful and uninspiring football. And I've held him to that standard. Thankfully, he's finally gone back to playing more expressive football and we've improved our form because, unsurprisingly, our best players are playing regularly again.

Now if he had originally come out and said he would channel his inner Simeone and have us shithouse our way to 1-0 victories or 0-0 draws all season playing boring offensive football while being stalwarts at the back, then I wouldn't have judged him as harshly as I did during the beginning of the year.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Everton away next so that will be a big test. Our away form has been dreadful and over recent months we've had mostly home games. We're definitely playing a lot better than before but it's not just because we're playing certain players or found some sort of winning formula.

Emery is still switching formations. Look it up.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/13/Fixt ... nd-Arsenal

After the humiliating Bate loss away we went back to a 4-2-3-1 for the return Bate game and Southampton game. But switched back to 3-4-3 against Bournemouth but back to 4-2-3-1 vs Spurs and Rennes. Even playing a 3-5-2 against Utd and the home game against Rennes but back to a 3-4-3.

Ozil has been playing a lot more games but out of the 8 games he was on the bench twice. That was against Southampton and Spurs. We'll see if Emery starts him away this weekend.

Aubameyang and Lacazette have been rotated a lot and have only played together against Rennes (H) and Utd. So that's only 2 out of the 8 games.

Still a lot of rotating and switching going on. As said before, maybe the players are adapting or maybe the home games have helped us find our confidence.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Also helps that United, Chelsea and Spurs had mid season collapses.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:20 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
swipe right wrote:Results changed once he accepted he had to start Ozil.

and Ramsey, as well as valuing Lacazette more.

EDIT: also not relying on Lichtsteiner as much

We cannot underestimate this. Emery had that 6 week dodgy period when he picked really defensive teams against poor opposition. Now he is picking attacking teams we have looked a much better proposition and our football is no longer dogshit poor.

Plus losing Lich was a blessing LOL.

It at least shows that he’s adaptable which is a good quality to have. He just needs to be quicker or, ideally, more prophetic.

Yes but that's how immature some of our fans are, he had a 6 week dodgy period ......... in his debut season, with a raft of injuries at that point.

Arsenal fans expect perfection at all times otherwise they complain, life's not like that and neither is any manager in the prem, before you mention City please examine their transfer expenditure.

Even Liverpool have had dodgy games this season.

Our fans need to grow the fk up basically.

I agree
But it ain't exclusive to Arsenal fans
There are a few at all clubs
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Goonerz wrote:

My exact thinking.

Spurs lost at Liverpool and Southampton
Prior to crystal palace they last won a league game on the 10 th feb
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:47 pm

swipe right wrote:Also helps that United, Chelsea and Spurs had mid season collapses.

Man Utd took 30 points in their 13 mid season games
Including a 2-2 draw with arsenal(only the 3rd point we had gained at old Trafford in 10 years
Spurs took 30 points in that mid season period that included defeat at arsenal
Chelsea also lost at Arsenal in that mid season period
starmandb

Postby theHotHead » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:12 am

Starmandb back to his best, bitch slapping arguments!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:00 am

https://www.goal.com/en/news/team-playe ... xvkhelicq6

When asked why Ozil hadn’t been starting away games, Arsenal’s head coach said: “It depends on each match.

“Sometimes it was because we needed something different, sometimes it was because he was injured.

“Now he is OK, he is training every day. He can play with two systems, 4-2-3-1 which maybe for him is the best, but sometimes we are playing 4-3-1-2 and he is playing like a team player. Also sometimes 3-4-1-2. Sometimes he can also play on the right side or the left.

Article continues below
“For me, the most important thing is for him to be ready, to be available to us, to help or play and he is now in this way.”

Emery added: "He’s working very well, playing very well, he’s helping us. I’m very happy with him. I think the team has a good atmosphere, good spirit with each player helping us with their qualities and good behaviour.

"That’s the spirit I want, they are doing that, and Mesut is like the others [in that regard]."

https://www.goal.com/en/news/team-playe ... xvkhelicq6

Similar to what I was saying earlier. Seems like the plan is for the players to be able to play different formations and be tactically flexible.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Pudpop » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:01 am

Could very well pull off our first 80+ points total for a decade

If we're perfect from here on it would be our (tied) best points total since the invincibles.

Big ifs, but for a first season not so bad imo.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:00 am

Telegraph
Unai Emery confident of improving Arsenal's attacking duo as he recalls previous coaching successes

Arsenal manager Unai Emery has promised to make Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette even better goalscorers using methods he says previously improved Kylian Mbappe and a host of other striking superstars.

Arsenal take their shaky away record to Everton on Sunday in search of the result that would take them above Tottenham and into third place in the Premier League table.

Inevitably the club will look to Aubameyang, who has 22 goals so far this season, and Lacazette, who is on 15, for end product.

Emery believes the pair can be even more prolific and revealed he is constantly demanding more from them in training sessions.

And it is certainly the case that the Spaniard has had an enviable list of forwards at his disposal from previous stints in charge of Valencia and Sevilla in La Liga and Paris St-Germain in Ligue 1.

"Every striker has developed with me in the past," he said. "I am very happy now, but I am very, very demanding of them to continue creating chances, and also scoring them.

"Individual scoring targets are what's best for the team. I did that in the past and in the present with them.

"In training I say to them, 'When I have one ball, in training, I imagine you'll score one goal, every time. Score, score, score'. That's my mentality – I push them with this mentality. That's the best development for them and for the team."

Emery reeled of a list of stellar forwards who have supplied goals for him in the past - David Villa, Fernando Morientes, Roberto Soldado and Aritz Aduriz at Valencia; Kevin Gameiro, Alvaro Negredo and Carlos Bacca at Sevilla, and Mbappe and Edinson Cavani.

Some of those mentioned failed to cut it in the Premier League - Soldado was a notable flop at Tottenham - but there is no doubt that they scored goals at Emery's former clubs. Villa scored 129 goals in 225 games, Soldado 81 in 141, ex-Manchester City man Negredo 85 in 182 and Bacca 49 in just 108. Cavani is fast approaching 200 for PSG.

"Each striker has his qualities and characteristics, but there is one similarity - they score a lot of goals," Emery said. "All of them. That's Villa, Negredo, Carlos Bacca, Gamiero, Cavani, Morientes, and Soldado, and now here Lacazette and Aubameyang. It's the same.

"But we need a lot of good passes, good crosses, to give them the best option to score in the box. For me, for now, we, Arsenal, can be proud that both are with us."

Emery has shown he is a coach who is unafraid to make tactical adjustments that leave one of his superstar strikers on the bench. Often they play together but sometimes with one out wide.

"I have the habit to have two strikers, or three strikers," he said. "Also in Spain at Sevilla I worked with Bacca, Gamiero and Iago Aspas. Three strikers.

"I want to play and have the best players. Here, with Aubameyang and Lacazette I am very happy with them. They are scoring, they are playing both roles, they are playing sometimes one behind the other, sometimes one's suspended. If there's an injury you have another, and we also have Eddie Nketiah working for the possibility to help us when one player or Aubameyang or Laca cannot play."
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby theHotHead » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:33 am

Our attack will automatically improve when he fixes our defending.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Emery has to be ruthless in the summer and get rid of our weak links, yes most of them are only playing because of injuries but still ............

AMN, Mustafi, Elneny.

Others to keep an eye on are Monreal and Kolasinic.

We also need to replace Ramsey and add a player to the offence, mainly a top winger.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football