Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby swipe right » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:22 pm

Be happy with him finishing third cause that’s the best he’ll ever get us. No chance we win anything with emery.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:23 pm

swipe right wrote:Be happy with him finishing third cause that’s the best he’ll ever get us. No chance we win anything with emery.

I mean we got to the Europa League final last season and he's won 3 of them with a lesser side
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:43 am

Just came across a remark that Emery kills attackers. Might be on to something.

He doesn't want to use Ozil. Don't tell me that Ozil isn't good enough to be on the bench of this poorly coached side. He isn't using Ceballos properly. His style of overloading the box with FBs isn't helping Pepe. Pepe is a dribbler, not a passer. He refuses to play Lacazette in big away games unless he's forced to. He couldn't get anything out of Ramsey or Mkhi.

Our midfield barely scores any goals. Same for our wingers. The senior team looks poorly coached. In contrast, we've been doing fine with our youngsters in the EL.

Looking at Unai's track record, it's not a wrong assessment.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:27 am

Angelito wrote:Just came across a remark that Emery kills attackers. Might be on to something.

He doesn't want to use Ozil. Don't tell me that Ozil isn't good enough to be on the bench of this poorly coached side. He isn't using Ceballos properly. His style of overloading the box with FBs isn't helping Pepe. Pepe is a dribbler, not a passer. He refuses to play Lacazette in big away games unless he's forced to. He couldn't get anything out of Ramsey or Mkhi.

Our midfield barely scores any goals. Same for our wingers. The senior team looks poorly coached. In contrast, we've been doing fine with our youngsters in the EL.

I still don't get it, Man. Our youth players have performed differently. Willock even said that Emery wanted the team to keep on attacking even after three goals up. But the senior players play differently and looks like he is satisfied with a scrappy one goal win. I don't think Bournemouth and Watford are better than Liege and Frankfurt is definitely a better team.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:26 am

Poverty Mourinho
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:48 am

Fran Solo wrote:
Angelito wrote:Just came across a remark that Emery kills attackers. Might be on to something.

I still don't get it, Man. Our youth players have performed differently. Willock even said that Emery wanted the team to keep on attacking even after three goals up. But the senior players play differently and looks like he is satisfied with a scrappy one goal win. I don't think Bournemouth and Watford are better than Liege and Frankfurt is definitely a better team.

Think it's cognitive dissonance with Unai.

He genuinely wants us to be an attacking outlet but his roots are so orthodox and his mentality rigid, he cannot let go of the safety first policy.

Our midfield is filled with three bodies to run. That's the only purpose. We don't create anything from the middle of the park. Xhaka sits back, fouls people, makes mistakes, makes those safe passes, and pings the ball here and there at times. Guendouzi runs his lungs out. The third midfielder whether Ceballos or Willock plays a bit further up with the responsibility of passing it to the full backs.

With full backs overlapping the flanks, our wingers don't get the time and space to dribble, create, or shoot. In essence, our wingers act as inverted attackers whose function again becomes, by default, to pass it to the FBs, or sideways back to Ceballos or Willock.

This merry-go-round continues until Aubameyang or Lacazette does something out of the norm, or we score a set-piece goal.

Yesterday, we only had 2 shots on target. So did Bournemouth and only had 52% of the ball at home against a scared Bournemouth.

The Prem is a different ball game. Like last year, we'll get knocked out by the first half decent team we play in the cups. We'll continue to do well in the EL against oppositions well beneath us and in a slower, inferior competition. We will be a mess in the Prem, but will continue to pick up points through individual brilliance or moments. All of this will happen before we implode come the end of the season.

It's as if it's written. And, Unai hasn't shown his ability to learn and transform. He only knows one way: his way.

His intentions are on point. He simply cannot leave his entire culture behind and implement a plan he's never carried out in his career as a manager.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Wait, how is Elkanofan posting like he is Mr Football still when I handed him his ass a few pages back!!! He is supposed to be licking his wounds and being humble!!

Anyway back to Emery, I don't know what I feel, he is good in some ways and an absolute joke in others, I couldn't care less if he stays or goes at this point.

The good that he has done is overshadowed by the bad. And its like people here don't learn. When some of us voiced concerns about some of the issues people were seduced by the unbeaten run last season. Those very same concerns ended up being our downfall. Now 8 games in people are doing the same, ignoring the glaring issues
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Mess » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:17 pm

What I find puzzling is this: The team is very boring in the league, but yea, quite exciting in the Europa League with the youngsters (and against weaker teams)­. So, Emery seems capable of fielding an exciting team after all. He must be able to do the same in the league...no? Does it all boil down to not playing Xhaka and playing more dynamic youngsters? What's your take people?
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby immsun » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:40 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Santi wrote:
elkanofan wrote:Some of our fanbase want the manager sacked because he's third after 8 games in the Premier League.

Because he bottled the top 4 run in last season
Because we traveled to Baku to watch our most embarrassing and pathetic performance of the season in a European final
Because his style of football is awful and painful to watch since 14 months
Because he has alienated one of our best players (ok debatable whatever) and top earners without any clear direct reason
Because nothing seems to have improved defensively despite 4 defenders being signed (incl Leno) and 2 defensive minded midfielders.

But aye, all about the meaningless position after 8 games...sorry but f**k off.

See whay you do is accept Mesut Ozil is a shitbag on our club who is overpaid and doesn't care and doesn't want to adapt his game to manage his physical limits as a player but cannot get over the fact the team has completely moved on without him and he's scared to think, just like what happened at Madrid, Ozil is scared that when he leaves the team will go onto great success without him. Because I see how Emery has had to deal with this with a very limited and restrictive budget. Look at January and the loan fiasco, look at the protests this summer against this terrible board. I see whats he's been given and he's done a great job. The team is just average and flawed bar 2 players plus a set of about 5 or so top level players but underneath that we are a average side. Neymar behaved in a similar childish way to Emery but there is a gigantic difference in quality between the two, One is truly world class. One is not, nowhere near and hasn't been since 2016. Btw, Neymar misbehaves with any manager!

Sorry but this is harsh but i think its got to this stage with Ozil! Baku was Ozil's time to shine, that was his chance to show the world he was still a world class player who could win games on his own but oh no, he blew it. There was no excuse for how pathetic his performance and energy levels where, none whatsoever. Willock did more in 10 minutes than what Ozil did all game. See with Wenger and especially since 2016 everytime we where embarrassed we never saw Ozil removed fro his lack of not just effort but plain and simple physically deficiencies to do things later on in a game going badly.

This is when i saw the horrible but clear truth Ozil is not just an average overrated player past his prime but he's so limited as a player physically. I looked at Kovacic and how comfortable he could move box to box to dictate the play and it really angered me Ozil hadn't adapted his game to play such a role. The guy can't dribble anymore whatsoever, he's slow, he has no strength or defensive awareness at all, he has poor stamina. He's a crap overrated player. All he can do is assist if he has space and it's not like he has a hammer pass like Xhaka to control games from range, he has to be in the final third. I'm sorry guys but he's a dreadful player.

It opened my eyes to why Ramsey left. He couldn't believe that they gave him that contract and he got not even half of what he was getting and left out of respect. Come this summer and when you understand Emery has wanted him gone all summer yet nobody, NOBODY in Europe wanted to touch him because absolutely nobody wanted to play Ozil those wages from what they have seen over the last 18 months you understand the consequences when you build a player up to being a God like figure, then comes the fall when he's finally past it and he needs to move on somewhere else. If Ozil was still at least a top class player at least he would of left by now. But the truth is Besiktas is still open for him but he's going to have to prove he can work and adapt or it's China then bust!

For his sake he needs to get real, man up, put in a transfer request to get this sorted. Look for a move to Turkey or the MLS and China will gladly double his wages just for the shirt sales he will recoup alone!

I see something good being built here and the only thing for me bar this awful board we have holding our club back is Mesut Ozil. Get rid of him, give Emery the money to buy a real attacking mid so we can move to the next level!

Lol this was funny. There is no logic here rofl.
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby elkanofan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:30 pm

immsun wrote:Lol this was funny. There is no logic here rofl.

I love Arsenal.

I believe in this team.

I trust this manger.

I'm done with Ozil. He's a nightmare. I've seen this behaviour before with Daniel Sturridge. Getting your entourage to write bullshit articles about you, pay people in the media to call your world class after 1 decent game and 'phantom' injuries when convenient for you to give you a lovely excuse to hold onto the big wages. Now he's 4th choice striker at Trabzonspor!

I think Ozil is good enough to still be a big player for a team like Besiktas since Ozil is not nearly as shit as Sturridge. Ozil was once was a true world elite player from 2010-2013 Then a world class player from 2013-2016 but since then he's been in massive decline and his lack of responsibility to get fit and provide himself as an option is a joke. He needs to f**k off. Simple!

I went to see the last good Ozil performance for Arsenal. It was Bournemouth home this year. He player well because Bournemouth where fatigued and just literally turned up to make sure they didn't forfeit, but they had little intention to trouble us. It was sunch an easy win, even Miki played well! They where already safe a marooned in mid table so they didn't care. That's the last time he's done much in any match. Since then he's just died as a player. I remember the good guys i sat next to and even then i wanted him gone, but after Baku i just hate him now.

I'm still just do not understand this blind backing of a player who doesn't respect or care about any of you and is happy to not bother in training and take home his huge paycheck. Yet a manager who has to deal with this, the board and has us getting results this season is the problem? All this crap on twitter about the chances he created, this is classic desperate propoganda from a big team of people behind the guy who are probably paying for these to be promoted.

Like i said already if he was that good a good team in need of creativity, an elite team would have brought him and matched his wages. Seems like some Arsenal fans seem to run away from the memo passed around which every other team seems to know which is Ozil is crap now and has become detrimental to the squad and he's barely work 35k a week let alone 350k.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Mess wrote:What I find puzzling is this: The team is very boring in the league, but yea, quite exciting in the Europa League with the youngsters (and against weaker teams)­. So, Emery seems capable of fielding an exciting team after all. He must be able to do the same in the league...no? Does it all boil down to not playing Xhaka and playing more dynamic youngsters? What's your take people?

We are certainly approaching EL with more aggression, and Ffrankfurt and Std Liege are decent teams definitely capable of beating us on their day. The youth players are hungry and want a place in the first team. Even Mustafi has a perfect record there. Plus, no Xhaka.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Hybrid47 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:02 pm

If you can't see we are piss poor attacking wise then it's a pointless debate. In Baku no one covered themselves in glory. Auba and Laca were pants also.

The situation is that we have a player that links the midfield to attack but don't play him. We've been awful attacking wise for quite some time and we are technically worse defensively.

So I'm sorry to say but under Emery we lack a style of football, philosophy and Identity.
Hybrid47
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby elkanofan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:29 pm

aniym wrote:
Mess wrote:What I find puzzling is this: The team is very boring in the league, but yea, quite exciting in the Europa League with the youngsters (and against weaker teams)­. So, Emery seems capable of fielding an exciting team after all. He must be able to do the same in the league...no? Does it all boil down to not playing Xhaka and playing more dynamic youngsters? What's your take people?

We are certainly approaching EL with more aggression, and Ffrankfurt and Std Liege are decent teams definitely capable of beating us on their day. The youth players are hungry and want a place in the first team. Even Mustafi has a perfect record there. Plus, no Xhaka.

Its true but the key difference is physicality. Football in general is dropping in quality but one thing the EPL does over any league and why it can be dominant and why Emery sets the team up like he does is he knows every single EPL team maybe bar Norwich due to injuries is full of physical monsters, just monsters! You do not see this whatsoever in any league anywhere in Europe. i think the secound toughest league phsycially is France but that league is awful, so many horrible long ball, defensive, turgid sides who pump balls to 6'3 plus target man, usually from Africa and built like the side of a house!

Liege don't really have that, even Frankfurt in the Bundesliga is not as physical as the Premier League. Look at even Bournemouth who imo where very dirty against us, they should of had Billing sent off! They have real physical specimens especially in attack and that bastard Lerma in midfield, you can't f**k about with lightweight kids here. Emery is doing the right thing not playing the kids in the league imo, i doubt we would of held on had the resolve to fight back vs Villa, United, Spurs and getting the win vs Burnley. We made many mistakes so far in the first 8 games and the fightback and resilience showed is why i'm happy and positive, it shows the team is fully behind the manager and know this will take time!

If we didn't show this resilience to get results in all these games we were behind bar Burnley i'd be worried. The only game we have srewed up so far was Watford and a large part of that was Ozil's 2/10 terrible performance, he did very little on the ball bar an easy pre assist and did f**k all off the ball, looked well of the place and i'd honesty rather have a crap player who tries like Cleverly than Oil at this moment. Seeing Cleverly that day and comparing him to Ozil just cemented my thoughts on how far this guy has fallen.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:24 pm

My ultimate fear is that Emery seems to have settled on the wrong starting 11.

Hoping that when we get back from another sh*tty international break (they really are p*ssing me off now) that he chooses the right players.

Tierney, Bellerin (although I'm fine with Chambers), Martinelli is ahead of Saka for me although will eventually play as ST and for the love of god .......... dump fkin Xhaka.

Honestly, look at the transition of of our Europa team compared to the Prem team, spot the difference?

Yes, no Xhaka.

If Emery persists with this fool and can't see how he offers nothing to the team bar the odd long ball then I'm sorry but I think he should go come end of season.

No more stupidness from managers, so done with it, projects are for managers with cache, don't know where Emery thinks he's got his from to be trying a Wenger.

The way he's setting up I want 3rd as a minimum to be ok with what he's doing, I'll hack Xhaka if his team gets us 3rd place.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:42 pm

Wenger and Dein have both thrown their support behind Emery. Despite the shocking treatment the club handed them, they’re still loyal. So proud of my boys.

https://www.goal.com/en-om/news/hes-not ... kub5tnj3m4

https://www.goal.com/en-kw/news/former- ... qbvtwpk6m0
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football