Raúl Sanllehí

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Raül Sanllehí, Head of Football

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:00 pm

He probably should have been sacked earlier but the fans would have gone mental. That letter to KSI telling them to back the manager wasn't so long ago but given the mess he was causing and confusion, I wouldn't have backed him in the transfer window at all. The Denis Suarez signing was a warning sign and now we have to try and rescue the confidence of Pepe and Torriera. Heck I can't stand Xhaka but I get why he felt he was hung out to dry by the manager with some of the comments to the press.

It had to play out this way so people could see how poor the manager was because most weren't convinced of that during the summer. We'll need someone with a warm character to restore the team spirit. I can't think of anyone that could be worse. The only name that slightly concerns me, and it's purely down to his characters, is Rafa Benitez. I often hear reports that he's a cold character and I don't think he'd be the right man to come into this situation.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:04 pm

Sack him 2 weeks ago. Get Jose. Understandable. Sack him in the summer after improving from the year before? Lol

Sack him now with no one standing out as manager to come just shows the ineptness of the board
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:16 pm

Ach wrote:Sack him 2 weeks ago. Get Jose. Understandable. Sack him in the summer after improving from the year before? Lol

Sack him now with no one standing out as manager to come just shows the ineptness of the board

We're always the last to know. It could be a case they have someone lined up for the job but not to takeover right now. Allowing the situation to deteriorate any further makes little sense and it's probably not wise to panic and appoint someone not suited if we're able to line up the manager we want.

But also, I did say that they promoted Ljunberg for a situation like this. So there was some sort of plan in place.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:14 pm

LMAO wrote:
aniym wrote:It came at the right time, after a dismal run of results. EL failures were the last straw probably, as we were crushing teams there before October.

Sacking him in the summer would have been absurd. He got 7 points more than Wenger, with Wenger's team, and 5 straight wins in Europe ahead of the EL final.

It would've been the sensible decision after an epic collapse in the league and getting skull f***ked in the EL Final. The writing was on the wall in February. It wasn't going to get better under Emery so to persist with him was naivety (or negligence) of the highest order.

You remember where we were in Jan/Feb?

Welbeck, Bellerin and Holding, all out for the season.
Monreal and Koscielny on their last legs
No Jan transfers, only loans

And that's without mentioning the ineptitude of AMN, Iwobi, Xhaka and Mustafi every week. He got to the final with that heap of shit.

For those who love comparing his results to Wenger's:

Wenger in 2017/18: 12 points off 4th, lowest points total in 23 years.
Emery in 2018/19: 1 point off 4th, 7 points better than the prior season.

70 points is also better than what Wenger got in 2006 and 2007, when he apparently could have been at Real Madrid.

Why would Emery have been sacked with those results?
Last edited by Highbury Hillbilly on Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gooney » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Spanish fraud tried to give his mate new deal lool
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby LMAO » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:26 am

aniym wrote:
LMAO wrote:
aniym wrote:It came at the right time, after a dismal run of results. EL failures were the last straw probably, as we were crushing teams there before October.

Sacking him in the summer would have been absurd. He got 7 points more than Wenger, with Wenger's team, and 5 straight wins in Europe ahead of the EL final.

It would've been the sensible decision after an epic collapse in the league and getting skull f***ked in the EL Final. The writing was on the wall in February. It wasn't going to get better under Emery so to persist with him was naivety (or negligence) of the highest order.

You remember where we were in Jan/Feb?

Welbeck, Bellerin and Holding, all out for the season.
Monreal and Koscielny on their last legs
No Jan transfers, only loans

And that's without mentioning the ineptitude of AMN, Iwobi, Xhaka and Mustafi every week. He got to the final with that heap of shit.

For those who love comparing his results to Wenger's:

Wenger in 2017/18: 12 points off 4th, lowest points total in 23 years.
Emery in 2018/19: 1 point off 4th, 7 points better than the prior season.

70 points is also better than what Wenger got in 2006 and 2007, when he apparently could have been at Real Madrid.

Why would Emery have been sacked with those results?

Leno
Mustafi - Koscielny - Monreal
AMN - Torreira - Guendouzi - Kola
Mkhi - Laca - Iwobi

Huddersfield - Arsenal
16 - 9 (shots)
7 - 4 (shots on target)
55% - 45% (possession)

Yeah, we won, but Huddersfield was unlucky. We were outplayed by the worst PL team since Derby. This was the game that was my final straw, and where I couldn't feign optimism about Emery being here any longer. Players out sick or not, Arsenal should never play scared and get outplayed by the worst PL side in quite some time.

Emery could've played a more attacking 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 instead of giving Huddersfield that much respect. He could've told Torreira to suck it up for a game and play RB and shifted the others in the back line over a position. Dropped AMN for El Neny and Kola for Willock/Suarez or had AMN play as a wide midfielder in place of Kola. But he set us up like we were playing Heynckes's Bayern.

And it's what a lot of us were concerned about last season and even this season when people were getting amped because we were third after eight games. The results were there but the performances were not, and the results would eventually end because we weren't getting them on the basis of our performances. And what happened? We collapsed in the league, lost the EL Final, and then have collapsed again this season. Games we should be getting three points from didn't exist anymore.

Third place was basically secure.

Palace
Wolves
Leicester
Brighton

That's 12 possible points. We got 1. We should've gotten 7 at a minimum and finished comfortably in third.

But like I said last season when I wanted Emery out, I would've given him until the end of the season, let him get us the EL, then part ways. But he and we couldn't even do that.

So yes, in the context of last season, it would not have been out of place to part ways this past summer.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:20 am

Were trying to poach Wolves' and LCFC's managers at the moment so I dont think those two fixtures were a likely 6 points.

Klopp got 8th in his first season and lost the EL final.. Should he also have been sacked?

Of course not. He got money to rebuild and didn't have a European campaign to worry about in Year 2, which helped them get 4th that season.

Emery isn't Klopp, he couldn't win over the players like Klopp could. He is also to blame for shifting lineups constantly. Sacking him after our dismal run of results is fair. But it wouldn't have been fair to do that after he did better than Wenger with Wenger players.

My fear is that we're now in Utd territory. If the new guy doesn't deliver within 18 months, he's gone as well. Do you think our defense will be sorted in that time?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:59 am

aniym wrote:Were trying to poach Wolves' and LCFC's managers at the moment so I dont think those two fixtures were a likely 6 points.

Klopp got 8th in his first season and lost the EL final.. Should he also have been sacked?

Of course not. He got money to rebuild and didn't have a European campaign to worry about in Year 2, which helped them get 4th that season.

Emery isn't Klopp, he couldn't win over the players like Klopp could. He is also to blame for shifting lineups constantly. Sacking him after our dismal run of results is fair. But it wouldn't have been fair to do that after he did better than Wenger with Wenger players.

My fear is that we're now in Utd territory. If the new guy doesn't deliver within 18 months, he's gone as well. Do you think our defense will be sorted in that time?

It wouldn't take 18 months to fix our defence.

Theres a transfer window coming up, with training and gametime considered, it could be done by the end of February.

If they're not willing to spend while Freddie is in charge, we'll have to wait. But point is it should take only a matter of weeks once the player/s needed are bought
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Holdini » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:23 am

aniym wrote:Were trying to poach Wolves' and LCFC's managers at the moment so I dont think those two fixtures were a likely 6 points.

im not worried about falling into the same territory as utd. there was no post fergie planning whereas we laid the groundwork for wenger leaving by making the right structural changes at the club to bring us on par with modern football (bringing in raul, sven/edu etc). utd still haven't made the required structural changes, they have no DOF/michael edwards/edu type character at the club, woodward's running the show and it's clear to see it's not working. their model is outdated and archaic.

we've implemented the model of a european superclub and now it's simply about finding the right coach (and note i didn't say manager) to come in and get the best out of the players. it's a similar model to barca, chelsea, psg etc where they've decentralised power away from the manager and put in a team of people around him. if the coach fails, they move onto the next guy without much disruption.

i mean we could get into the fact that utd lost gill - an absolute beast - and replaced him with a dud in woodward, whereas we lost a clown in gazidis and upgraded to a barca beast too, but yeah i don't see much similarity.
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:26 am

Wenger had a say in signing players before taking over. If the new manager can't start til the summer then they can still consult him assuming he's decided on before January.

The best bit about our new set up is that the manager isn't the one in charge of recruitment. So even if the new manager hasn't been decided on it shouldn't stop us making signings.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:59 am

Tony_Adams wrote:Wenger had a say in signing players before taking over. If the new manager can't start til the summer then they can still consult him assuming he's decided on before January.

The best bit about our new set up is that the manager isn't the one in charge of recruitment. So even if the new manager hasn't been decided on it shouldn't stop us making signings.

How long you planning on keeping that stupid picture in your signature?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:09 pm

swipe right wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:Wenger had a say in signing players before taking over. If the new manager can't start til the summer then they can still consult him assuming he's decided on before January.

How long you planning on keeping that stupid picture in your signature?
I've requested a ljungberg one. If you can find the thread/post make me one please!

ps change yours too please mate!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Holdini wrote:

im not worried about falling into the same territory as utd. there was no post fergie planning whereas we laid the groundwork for wenger leaving by making the right structural changes at the club to bring us on par with modern football (bringing in raul, sven/edu etc). utd still haven't made the required structural changes, they have no DOF/michael edwards/edu type character at the club, woodward's running the show and it's clear to see it's not working. their model is outdated and archaic.

we've implemented the model of a european superclub and now it's simply about finding the right coach (and note i didn't say manager) to come in and get the best out of the players. it's a similar model to barca, chelsea, psg etc where they've decentralised power away from the manager and put in a team of people around him. if the coach fails, they move onto the next guy without much disruption.

i mean we could get into the fact that utd lost gill - an absolute beast - and replaced him with a dud in woodward, whereas we lost a clown in gazidis and upgraded to a barca beast too, but yeah i don't see much similarity.
I do see a clear similarity but worse.

United are a shitshow, however have remained a top 6 club due to throwing obscene amounts of money at their problems to at least attain quality in patches like Pogba, keeping De Gea, Martial while inconsistent is better than anything we have by some distance bar Auba and Laca, along with even guys like Mata being around, Lingaard while a shithead is still better than all our attacking midfielders!

Rashford has never ever not stopped trying no matter how shit he's been and he's turned the corner to really help them out last few weeks..

Problem with our club is the board only care about profit. We do NOT spend when necessary, the summer proved our shit recruitment. While we did spend more than usually, we failed to adequately replace the large number of key departures. Our team has progressively got worse and worse every single year and this all drops down from the top. Our team has always been heavily unbalanced however with the quality in abundance of attacking mids, at least one real world class attack along with Wengers favourites we managed to remained at least a top 4/6 club under Wenger until it all rightfully fell sour at the end.

The difference now is between United and us is that we now have no really quality in midfield at all. Our two world class strikers are the only really quality we have period in the team, along with again a very poorly balanced squad which has failed to look convincing in any match this year without Ramsey, infact without Ramsey only the fightback vs Valencia at home and the counter job away from home have shown quality. We have been woeful without a midfielder on his level this year.

Our midfield has zero serious goal threat to any quality EPL side in providing assists or goals, its slow, immature, weak, pretentious. Its a nightmare situation for those who see it. Its why the delusion of some fans really worries me, by the time they see it we will already be marooned in midtable and will easily surpass united as the banter club of the England and world football.

Many of these fans are too baked into to dogma that because we are Arsenal we always have quality. We don't even check the actual levels of the players we have. The post wenger rebuild has been a total failure on the pitch. Not just from Emery but the club as a whole. We can dress up Freddie as much as we want but this is not reality, the board have acted because they had to but they had no real plan whatsoever it seems due to Emery not working out the way they wanted.

I refuse to give Freddie any critique when we struggle with him. Absolutely none of this will be his fault. I see the blessing of Freddie will be that we can finally see the players for what they are and every mistake freddie makes will simply be down to him being a rookie with no experience in what to do at a Top level club.

Under 23 is quite literally easy childs play.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:20 pm

My god your doom and gloom is f***ing annoying.

All we need is a good manager and a couple of new players for top 4, that is our aim. We are not f***ked unless we lose the front 3 for peanuts.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Santi wrote:My god your doom and gloom is f***ing annoying.

All we need is a good manager and a couple of new players for top 4, that is our aim. We are not f***ked unless we lose the front 3 for peanuts.

We've been saying that forever, except it used to be "we'll challenge for the title if.."
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to World Football