Thierry Henry - Manager

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Thierry Henry - Manager

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:24 am

I think the notion that if you're an elite player, you'll find it difficult to become a top manager is true.

Plus, Henry always acted like he's God's gift to humankind and such an attitude doesn't help.

Personally, I was sickened by the way he brushed aside Wenger in favor of Pep. He wants to be like Pep when he should be emulating Wenger's elite level of man management. Henry's already a football legend. Like Zidane, his man management alone would enable him.

Pep isn't the greatest man manager but he's an elite-level technical coach and tactician. Wenger is more of a strategist than a mitculous tactician. Pep gets away with it a lot because his coaching is second to none. Henry possibly couldn't be stupid enough to try things Pep's way.

Pep has also had issues with the dressing room before. Even at City, the owners had to step in and help reconcile the differences between Pep and Aguero.

Henry comes off as too smug and aggressive. That's an easy way of setting yourself for failure.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zedie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:45 am

Maybe he wants arsenes man management combined with peps tactical ability but is in his first job so is finding it tougher than he thought?

Look what he inherited... a decimated squad with no proper funds to rebuild after years of pillaging the brightest young talents.

It's not even like they sold off the players at the top of their game, they're starters were mostly under 21s and they sold them to leave journeymen and youth teamers.

Wenger inherited a solid squad and pep keeps inheriting the best in the world, he hasn't actually been properly tested yet managerially.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Dynamite » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 am

They spent £126.90m this season he got three 30+ veterans (Naldo, Cech and Vainqueur) and the LB from Lille for £10m in the winter.
Didn't expect them to win the league with such a squad but fighting against relegation is just poor.
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:22 pm

I don't get how some of you are so comfortable talking greasy about Theirry Henry but when I wonder over to the Ozil thread I see nothing but defence and love.

What's the world coming to? Lol
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:28 pm

Henry is a c*** might have something to do with it
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Power n Glory wrote:I don't get how some of you are so comfortable talking greasy about Theirry Henry but when I wonder over to the Ozil thread I see nothing but defence and love.

What's the world coming to? Lol

He’s famously arrogant and never been great man to man

As soon as he left we had our best title charge as our youngsters were unshackled

I’ve heard rumours that during our best days he never really had good mates, wasn’t close to pires, Vieira and co
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:39 pm

Well I work with Tim Ream's (Fullhams CB) sister in law. He played with Henry in New York. He said Henry was one of the best/nicest teammates he ever had and considers him a friend. I had him have Henry sign my shirt for me, so that is why the discussion came up in case you're wondering.

So maybe he changed his tune when he came here, or he really was never that bad?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:42 pm

StLGooner wrote:Well I work with Tim Ream's (Fullhams CB) sister in law. He played with Henry in New York. He said Henry was one of the best/nicest teammates he ever had and considers him a friend. I had him have Henry sign my shirt for me, so that is why the discussion came up in case you're wondering.

So maybe he changed his tune when he came here, or he really was never that bad?

Can be a plethora of things. He’s always been super competitive but MLS is obviously a retirement league, no offence. His demands of his teammates were probably less than the heights of the Premier League

I’ve met him once and he was very nice and humble
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Sims wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Well I work with Tim Ream's (Fullhams CB) sister in law. He played with Henry in New York. He said Henry was one of the best/nicest teammates he ever had and considers him a friend. I had him have Henry sign my shirt for me, so that is why the discussion came up in case you're wondering.

Can be a plethora of things. He’s always been super competitive but MLS is obviously a retirement league, no offence. His demands of his teammates were probably less than the heights of the Premier League

I’ve met him once and he was very nice and humble

No for sure, very good points tbh.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Ach wrote:Henry is a c*** might have something to do with it

That says more about you than him.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:Henry is a c*** might have something to do with it

That says more about you than him.

How so?

Am I supposed to like every guy that treats this club like shit?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:53 pm

Sims wrote:I’ve heard rumours that during our best days he never really had good mates, wasn’t close to pires, Vieira and co

Did you hear this rumour from some random on Twitter?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Sims wrote:I’ve heard rumours that during our best days he never really had good mates, wasn’t close to pires, Vieira and co

Lol

With Callum and sjw no longer with us, God rest their souls, we do need our quota of posters who believe everything on Twitter to rise again
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:

Don’t think it was through twitter
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 pm

Just hope he can get a couple of wins on the bounce and not have his most experienced players letting him down game after game. Couple of wins could change everything as they're good enough to be midtable but clearly the confidence and maybe even the desire is gone.

Shit job for him to take, he got roped into this Monaco fairytale when Villa was probably a better option, less high profile and a decent squad in a league where a good run can get you promoted.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football