Thierry Henry - Manager

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Thierry Henry - Manager

Postby Dynamite » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:55 pm

UFGN wrote:
Sims wrote: TWEET

arrogance personified

Arrogant, closed minded, not interested in others' opinions....

He learned from the best
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Angelito » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:11 pm

UFGN wrote:
Sims wrote:

arrogance personified

He learned from the best

Unfortunately, he didn't learn DEM elite levels of man management, resource mobilization, talent spotting, and application of a distinct philosophy.

Wengerball -----> The best the Premier League has ever seen. ;)
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:40 pm

Can people stop ignoring the shambles of a club that he took over? Swear in half his games an experienced player decided to do something stupid, either a red card or a blunder resulting in a goal.

Not claiming he did well at all or that he’ll ever be a good manager but writing him off after this experience is crazy. Was a bad choice on his part to go there, I think he thought they would stop underperforming and he’d look good shooting up the table, but unfortunately they just stayed shit. That’s what you get when you compile a bunch of aging journeymen and young kids with little experience. No doubt Jardim will come back and win his first two games so he’ll look amazing again but that squad is full of mentally weak players by the looks.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Cesc looool
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:47 pm

Santi wrote:Can people stop ignoring the shambles of a club that he took over? Swear in half his games an experienced player decided to do something stupid, either a red card or a blunder resulting in a goal.

Not claiming he did well at all or that he’ll ever be a good manager but writing him off after this experience is crazy. Was a bad choice on his part to go there, I think he thought they would stop underperforming and he’d look good shooting up the table, but unfortunately they just stayed shit. That’s what you get when you compile a bunch of aging journeymen and young kids with little experience. No doubt Jardim will come back and win his first two games so he’ll look amazing again but that squad is full of mentally weak players by the looks.

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Santi wrote:Can people stop ignoring the shambles of a club that he took over? Swear in half his games an experienced player decided to do something stupid, either a red card or a blunder resulting in a goal.

I do agree.

He should have taken that Aston Villa job.

But that is part of the problem with Henry. He didn't want to be a full-time U21 coach at Arsenal. He considered the Aston Villa job beneath him. And, his people management is poor. Even when he was captain here, he didn't have the patience for younger players. That's something he could realize today and work on.

That said, an egotistical attitude isn't something one can get rid of at Henry's age. Pep worked his way to the top. Even Zidane. Henry opted for a short cut.

Variables are plenty even if, in principle, what you're saying is true.

I hope he works at a stable Championship club next. Would be embarrassing if he returned to Sky.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Nobody ignored the sh!t jobs adams had when they wrote him off!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:15 pm

That’s because Tone is f***ked in the head
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:18 pm

Dynamite wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Sims wrote: TWEET

arrogance personified

He learned from the best

Some Wengerite trogs were touting we should of had him as manager instead of Emery if you can believe that.

The delusion of some of our fans is excruciating.

I always said this from the off, I never liked Henry for manager because he is not a good man manager and I saw that when he was Captain here in his final years, bullying younger players, stropping etc.

His expectations are ridiculously high because he is a former great, and worse, he's a striker.

Tell me do people not realise how selfish and petulant and un-patient great strikers are? its in their DNA, its what makes great strikers ........... its also what makes very sh*t managers.

As a player Thierry Henry is second to none for me, my favourite Arsenal player of all time and was our Ronaldo, our Ronaldhino etc but as a manager ............ no.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:36 pm

Henry had high expectations and would shout order's but that's no different to Keane and some other captains. It's the type of leadership some say we need today on the pitch.

Also, Henry wasn't a selfish striker. He'd set up a load of goals as well as finish them.

But I get the point being made. He took the wrong job and should have gone for a team playing in a lower division or a youth squad where he can earn his stripes. Nothing wrong with being a boss with high demands and being that figure that uses his authority to push players for more. The most successful manager have that in them. You just have to able to get results and command respect. Monaco wasn't the right choice for him.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Sims » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:52 pm

Nah I don’t think you can compare his type of leadership to someone like Keane’s or even Paddy’s

Loved Titi, but he always carried an arrogance around with him on the pitch, it’s also what made him the best striker in the world and the best player the Prem has ever seen

He just wasn’t a natural leader, as DG said he’s mere presence and exceptionally high standards were unmatchable. It was hard for him to lead with people skills, and it was impossible to lead by example when the example was too high, particularly with our younger crop of players at the time

Although we got to the CL final with him as captain, it was evident how overbearing he was after he left seeing as our youngsters put together our best title charge since the Invincibles in 07/08. We were so f***ing good that season, it’s the best football we’ve played and it’s still disappointing to this day

That being said, we could’ve done with a different captain other than that prick who inherited the number 10 shirt at the time too
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:31 pm

Sims wrote:Nah I don’t think you can compare his type of leadership to someone like Keane’s or even Paddy’s

Loved Titi, but he always carried an arrogance around with him on the pitch, it’s also what made him the best striker in the world and the best player the Prem has ever seen

He just wasn’t a natural leader, as DG said he’s mere presence and exceptionally high standards were unmatchable. It was hard for him to lead with people skills, and it was impossible to lead by example when the example was too high, particularly with our younger crop of players at the time

Although we got to the CL final with him as captain, it was evident how overbearing he was after he left seeing as our youngsters put together our best title charge since the Invincibles in 07/08. We were so f***ing good that season, it’s the best football we’ve played and it’s still disappointing to this day

That being said, we could’ve done with a different captain other than that prick who inherited the number 10 shirt at the time too

You said it yourself, we reached the CL final with him as captain. The season after he left where we had a title challenge.... it didn't last long. Discipline went out of the squad and we had to deal with players like Denilson jogging back and letting standards slip. We're still feeling the ramifications of that softly soft approach today where nobody is held accountable. We needed a mix of experience and youth back then.

I won't go overboard with what Henry was doing as capaton at Arsenal because I remember the moments where he'd give players the look if they delivered a poor pass. Henry wasn't always cold with the players. I still remember how he celebrated with Eboue after Eboue delivered that perfect cross that Henry scored from with a rare header. Eboue was one of the players Henry would chastise for poor end product. Maybe things would have been different for him and that crop of players if they had experience around demanding higher standards. Maybe.

Hopefully Henry keeps at it and goes with a smaller team. I don't run with the narrative that he can't coach. It's a learning experience and there is bigger picture at play so I'll continue to support him. Plenty more obstacles he'll have to hurdle to be successful because he doesn't fit the typical mould and look of management material.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:16 pm

One good reason why we should not take those pundits' opinions too seriously. Neville, Henry, who's next? Merson?
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:29 pm

The stuff coming out about Henry is jokes

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:42 pm

Sims wrote:The stuff coming out about Henry is jokes

It seems that he wanted to take the Pep route straight away with all the reshuffling and tinkering.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to World Football