Uefa to 'ease' financial fair play rules

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Uefa to 'ease' financial fair play rules

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 19, 2015 2:02 pm

UFGN wrote:I don't know if a cap would work but i think it should be looked at. I think something needs to be done because top flight football is rapidly disappearing up its own arse.

Right, don't know unless you try. Worth discussing though.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Apollo » Tue May 19, 2015 2:03 pm

Could put in a transfer cap but would be for show.

The level that would have to be agreed upon would be much higher than anyone that isnt already there could ever spend.

Again it would just mean that anyone who would try to play catch up would have a more difficult time.If we want to become champions it would take far less spending and transfers than it would take for QPR to achieve the same goal.

Now if Lower Caps existed for those who were higher up, or the limits applied to those who earned above a certain level. That would be a potential way or attempting to create parity.

But theres no reason anyone would agree to that, especially not a universal agreement.Too much money to be lost.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Apollo wrote:Could put in a transfer cap but would be for show.

The level that would have to be agreed upon would be much higher than anyone that isnt already there could ever spend.

Again it would just mean that anyone who would try to play catch up would have a more difficult time.If we want to become champions it would take far less spending and transfers than it would take for QPR to achieve the same goal.

Now if Lower Caps existed for those who were higher up, or the limits applied to those who earned above a certain level. That would be a potential way or attempting to create parity.

But theres no reason anyone would agree to that, especially not a universal agreement.

I could see issues with the value of players just lowering so teams could afford them. But like you said, maybe certain teams have certain caps based of different things.

There may just have to be a governing body of all world football that would just put this in place eventually, whether teams like it or not. Very tall task I know, but like I said, worth looking at.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue May 19, 2015 2:38 pm

From what I've heard about the rules they're not too bad. Seems like if an owner wants to spend he can as long as there is proof of a plan to break even in the long term. Money spent has to be a gift rather than debt to the club to stop clubs getting in the shit with owners who don't actually care.

So if anything, it won't really do anything for the teams at the top wanting to spend more. It will be more for clubs like villa who seem to be listening to offers from people with money. Newcastle and Leeds could be made attractive buys again as well.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CukiZeGerman » Tue May 19, 2015 2:41 pm

StLGooner wrote:Trust me I know, that gets brought up every time I bring this up. I know it would have to be different than here in the US, doesn't mean it can't happen though, at least start talking about options ya know.

And I believe if you put a cap on big spending, the trickle down affect of it all would help lower teams eventually. They would have a better chance to compete and win, which inevitably would help.

I never said that it can't happen. But a salary cap in european footy is just an utopistic idea.
There are too many parties and too many things to be discussed and dealt with before a genuine salary cap can be brought into play.

The main difference is that in US sports, players are paid via a CBA while in europe every player negotiates his deal by himself (or more commonly through his agent).

and there are various other things:
- who upholds the cap - the UEFA, the national football associations, the leagues or the clubs themselvs ? Note here that different countries have different league setups. The Premier League in England isn't directly linked with the FA, the Bundesliga (DFL) in Germany isn't linked with the DFB (they are working together, but both are seperate organisations) etc etc.
- how do you determine the level at which the cap should be ? Again, there are 54 UEFA members to think about here. If there are at least 10 clubs per country (and there are usually much much more), that makes it 540 to take into consideration.
- what happens if a club goes over the cap ?
- is the cap subject to only to the professional team or does it apply to the amateur team too ? (here in Germany, most professional teams have an amateur team playing in the lower divisions)
- To which divisions does the cap apply ?

Those are just the major questions off the top of my head, I could possibly think of about at least 50 or so.
Besides, I don't think that a cap would really change anything.

Those that already have money wouldn't lose anything, and those without money wouldn't really gain any advantage.

the FFP should have been some mix between salary and transfer cap, but as you've seen it hasn't been effective at all.
Those that spent big, continued to do so.
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Tue May 19, 2015 2:45 pm

Villa and Newcastle would attract a lot of investors if the FFP rules are relaxed.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue May 19, 2015 3:02 pm

I like the idea to get clubs to be able to compete at the top but then have to break even and make more competition.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Tue May 19, 2015 3:34 pm

How about a radical system where players can only be paid according to how many goals, assists, clean sheets, trophies, appearances and league position they achieve, in addition to a basic wage of no more than about €100,000. This would still allow the best players to earn the most.

Crucially, the rates would be set centrally by Uefa and all amounts would be Net, so income tax differences between countries wouldn't be a factor.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Apollo » Tue May 19, 2015 3:42 pm

UFGN wrote:How about a radical system where players can only be paid according to how many goals, assists, clean sheets, trophies, appearances and league position they achieve, in addition to a basic wage of no more than about €100,000. This would still allow the best players to earn the most.

Crucially, the rates would be set centrally by Uefa and all amounts would be Net, so income tax differences between countries wouldn't be a factor.

Then everyone goes to the MLS, and the MLS becomes the strongest/only relevant league in the world.

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby CukiZeGerman » Tue May 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Not to mention that there would be as many goals (points) as in an average NFL game.
Everybody would be trying to score and wouldn't care about the defense because attackers would be payed more (goals & assists)
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Tue May 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Apollo wrote:
UFGN wrote:How about a radical system where players can only be paid according to how many goals, assists, clean sheets, trophies, appearances and league position they achieve, in addition to a basic wage of no more than about €100,000. This would still allow the best players to earn the most.

Then everyone goes to the MLS, and the MLS becomes the strongest/only relevant league in the world.

And my match ticket gets much cheaper. Meanwhile all the plastics are watching MLS and Arsenal are competing against other clubs in a more honest, more meaningful league.

Sounds good to me.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Tue May 19, 2015 3:50 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:Not to mention that there would be as many goals (points) as in an average NFL game.
Everybody would be trying to score and wouldn't care about the defense because attackers would be payed more (goals & assists)

So you didn't see the bit where i also said clean sheets, appearances, trophies and league position.....

UFGN

Postby Apollo » Tue May 19, 2015 3:56 pm

UFGN wrote:
Apollo wrote:

And my match ticket gets much cheaper. Meanwhile all the plastics are watching MLS and Arsenal are competing against other clubs in a more honest, more meaningful league.

Sounds good to me.

I guess a league with Jermaine Defoe being the star attraction wouldn't be all that bad.

The'd be more natives starting for the winning teams so that's another bonus, when the capped International footballers reach their 40s they could find their way back to Europe and play for one of the top 4 as their curtain call.

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby CukiZeGerman » Tue May 19, 2015 4:14 pm

UFGN wrote:
CukiZeGerman wrote:Not to mention that there would be as many goals (points) as in an average NFL game.

So you didn't see the bit where i also said clean sheets, appearances, trophies and league position.....

I did, but still - in a championship team all starters would have the same number of appereances, trophies and the same league positions.
The goalkeepers would benefit from the clean sheets and the attackers would benefit from the assists / goals.
The defenders would get the worst of the deal you described.
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Tue May 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Apollo wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Apollo wrote:

Sounds good to me.

I guess a league with Jermaine Defoe being the star attraction wouldn't be all that bad.

The'd be more natives starting for the winning teams so that's another bonus, when the capped International footballers reach their 40s they could find their way back to Europe and play for one of the top 4 as their curtain call.

Yes.

If Mata and Costa are the best players in the league then we need to have players as good as them to win the league. But if the best players are Peter Crouch and Charlie Adam, then players as good as them or better is all we need.

As for "beautiful football ", f**k it, i really don't care. The club is king, not the players. If all the galacticos left European football, I'd shrug and watch whoever was waring an Arsenal shirt.

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to World Football