Uefa to 'ease' financial fair play rules

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Uefa to 'ease' financial fair play rules

Postby Angelito » Tue May 19, 2015 11:07 am

It's not like the revoking FFP would diminish our dominance either. Kroenke won't spend, but we have somebody who's willing to. So, it's just a question of when not if. It's not the Arsenal way. I don't think organized industry was the global way when it erupted either.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Tue May 19, 2015 11:42 am

I don't mind admitting that i find the whole issue of football and huge sums of money very off-putting.

I was born and grew up near Arsenal and it was my local club, being an Arsenal fan was assumed when i was a kid the same as breathing or eating food. It wasn't a conscious decision.

So now here i am thirty years later with a club i love that's become a corporate entity fighting other corporate entities. I sometimes wonder if its really any different from supporting Shell or Tesco or Glaxo Smithklein in their various exploits to out perform their corporate rivals.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Schlandi » Tue May 19, 2015 11:57 am

UFGN wrote:So now here i am thirty years later with a club i love that's become a corporate entity fighting other corporate entities. I sometimes wonder if its really any different from supporting Shell or Tesco or Glaxo Smithklein in their various exploits to out perform their corporate rivals.

Exactly it sucks maybe I'm just to "oldschool" for the modern times but I won't betray my principles.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Sims » Tue May 19, 2015 12:02 pm

Growing up in the Sky generation I don't know no different. I'm just happy that I'm able to watch every single game possible.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby UFGN » Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Sims wrote:Growing up in the Sky generation I don't know no different. I'm just happy that I'm able to watch every single game possible.

You've always had big football clubs but the difference is that previously their wealth came, primarily, directly from the fans and their success on the pitch.

Now there are so many outside influences that a club like Arsenal has become a commodity for corporations to tap for money. Fans are assets.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Tarquinius » Tue May 19, 2015 12:25 pm

In the old days when players said stuff like "none of this would've been possible without the most important part of this club - the fans" it was 100% true.

Now when I hear a player say this all I think is: Really? Don't you mean the Sky money, Champions League money, stadium sponsors, boot sponsors, billionaire owners and the rest of your club's lucrative tie-ins?

They ought to just thank their agents and be done with it.
Tarquinius
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 19, 2015 12:42 pm

Time to put a cap on this shit!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Schlandi » Tue May 19, 2015 12:53 pm

StLGooner wrote:Time to put a cap on this shit!

Can't see this working in Europe especially cause of foreign exchange rates aso if every UEFA member would be an € country things would be easier.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 19, 2015 1:02 pm

SchlandGooner wrote:

Can't see this working in Europe especially cause of foreign exchange rates aso if every UEFA member would be an € country things would be easier.

I've brought this up a bunch of times on here now, and I've never heard a good reason why it can't work. Yeah I'm sure it would be difficult, but if we can put men on the moon and a robot on Mars I'm sure we can think of a cap system for world football. It's hard to argue that it would be a bad thing for football. I see only good in it.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CukiZeGerman » Tue May 19, 2015 1:12 pm

StLGooner wrote:I've brought this up a bunch of times on here now, and I've never heard a good reason why it can't work. Yeah I'm sure it would be difficult, but if we can put men on the moon and a robot on Mars I'm sure we can think of a cap system for world football. It's hard to argue that it would be a bad thing for football. I see only good in it.

Take note that european football clubs in most cases aren't anything like American sports franchises. They are not owned by billionaires.
So, for instance, if the cap is put on the level at which Real's wage bill is at now, clubs like Bastia, Lille, Palermo, Bilbao, Burnley, Leicester, Köln, Kaiserslautern won't benefit out of it.

Besides, we're talking about 54 countries here. how on earth will you persuade all of them to vote for a salary cap ?
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Tue May 19, 2015 1:17 pm

I don't know if a cap would work but i think it should be looked at. I think something needs to be done because top flight football is rapidly disappearing up its own arse.

UFGN

Postby Schlandi » Tue May 19, 2015 1:18 pm

StLGooner wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:

I've brought this up a bunch of times on here now, and I've never heard a good reason why it can't work. Yeah I'm sure it would be difficult, but if we can put men on the moon and a robot on Mars I'm sure we can think of a cap system for world football. It's hard to argue that it would be a bad thing for football. I see only good in it.

I really can't see it working here.

To start with how do you calculate the max limit ?
Just check out the differences in wages between the Rumanian League and the Premier League for examples.
A rumanian club will most likely never be able to pay rudimentarily the amount of money an english club can pay without researching I guess the wages from Arsenal are much higher as the whole wages from the Rumanian League so will the limit be set to the current Arsenal wages or something in that area or will Arsenal have to drop their wage structure by around 90% ?

Also how do you handle exchange rates we could use fixed exchange rates but how do you handle it if a currency drops (or raises) massively during a season before the winter transfer window, players would jump ship as fast as possible so the clubs with the shitty currency would be f***ked caused by external influences. In the USA all NBA clubs/franchises use the same currency to pay their players so if the US dollar drops all clubs are f***ked not just a few.

You also have different rate of taxes in every UEFA country here too aso.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 19, 2015 1:29 pm

SchlandGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:

I really can't see it working here.

To start with how do you calculate the max limit ?
Just check out the differences in wages between the Rumanian League and the Premier League for examples.
A rumanian club will most likely never be able to pay rudimentarily the amount of money an english club can pay without researching I guess the wages from Arsenal are much higher as the whole wages from the Rumanian League so will the limit be set to the current Arsenal wages or something in that area or will Arsenal have to drop their wage structure by around 90% ?

Also how do you handle exchange rates we could use fixed exchange rates but how do you handle it if a currency drops (or raises) massively during a season before the winter transfer window, players would jump ship as fast as possible so the clubs with the shitty currency would be f***ked caused by external influences. In the USA all NBA clubs/franchises use the same currency to pay their players so if the US dollar drops all clubs are f***ked not just a few.

You also have different rate of taxes in every UEFA country here too aso.

Obviously many things would have to be discussed, but how is any of that different to what is going on now? And I don't necessarily mean a wage cap, but how about a transfer cap. There are still going to be teams that won't ever be able to pay as much as some, that is just part of the business really, but if you put a limit on how much teams could spend each window then certain teams won't be able to buy their success. Players would end up being more loyal and stay with the same clubs because others wouldn't be able to afford them as often, it would give lower teams a better chance at signing top players and keeping them, giving the league more parity.

As far as the exchanges, like many things I'm sure that could be discussed and figured out, just because you or I can't think of it right now doesn't' mean it can't happen. But I don't really see why that would be an issue anyway? How is all of that handled now?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Big17 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:33 pm

StLGooner wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

Well said.
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 19, 2015 2:01 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I've brought this up a bunch of times on here now, and I've never heard a good reason why it can't work. Yeah I'm sure it would be difficult, but if we can put men on the moon and a robot on Mars I'm sure we can think of a cap system for world football. It's hard to argue that it would be a bad thing for football. I see only good in it.

Take note that european football clubs in most cases aren't anything like American sports franchises. They are not owned by billionaires.
So, for instance, if the cap is put on the level at which Real's wage bill is at now, clubs like Bastia, Lille, Palermo, Bilbao, Burnley, Leicester, Köln, Kaiserslautern won't benefit out of it.

Besides, we're talking about 54 countries here. how on earth will you persuade all of them to vote for a salary cap ?

Trust me I know, that gets brought up every time I bring this up. I know it would have to be different than here in the US, doesn't mean it can't happen though, at least start talking about options ya know.

And I believe if you put a cap on big spending, the trickle down affect of it all would help lower teams eventually. They would have a better chance to compete and win, which inevitably would help.
Last edited by StLGooner on Tue May 19, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to World Football