Uefa to 'ease' financial fair play rules

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Uefa to 'ease' financial fair play rules

Postby UFGN » Tue May 19, 2015 4:18 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:
UFGN wrote:
CukiZeGerman wrote:Not to mention that there would be as many goals (points) as in an average NFL game.
Everybody would be trying to score and wouldn't care about the defense because attackers would be payed more (goals & assists)

So you didn't see the bit where i also said clean sheets, appearances, trophies and league position.....

I did, but still - in a championship team all starters would have the same number of appereances, trophies and the same league positions.
The goalkeepers would benefit from the clean sheets and the attackers would benefit from the assists / goals.
The defenders would get the worst of the deal you described.

No, they would also get clean sheet payments.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby elkanofan » Tue May 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Let them spend, UEFA simply don't have the bollocks to enforce this rule.

Football is already eating itself as it is, the clamor for Sterling has shown the big problem nobody seems to see coming which it's all well and good having billions of dollars but whats the use when there are few to no world class players to spend it on?
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Apollo » Tue May 19, 2015 4:23 pm

UFGN wrote:
Apollo wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Apollo wrote:
UFGN wrote:How about a radical system where players can only be paid according to how many goals, assists, clean sheets, trophies, appearances and league position they achieve, in addition to a basic wage of no more than about €100,000. This would still allow the best players to earn the most.

Crucially, the rates would be set centrally by Uefa and all amounts would be Net, so income tax differences between countries wouldn't be a factor.

Then everyone goes to the MLS, and the MLS becomes the strongest/only relevant league in the world.

And my match ticket gets much cheaper. Meanwhile all the plastics are watching MLS and Arsenal are competing against other clubs in a more honest, more meaningful league.

Sounds good to me.

I guess a league with Jermaine Defoe being the star attraction wouldn't be all that bad.

The'd be more natives starting for the winning teams so that's another bonus, when the capped International footballers reach their 40s they could find their way back to Europe and play for one of the top 4 as their curtain call.

Yes.

If Mata and Costa are the best players in the league then we need to have players as good as them to win the league. But if the best players are Peter Crouch and Charlie Adam, then players as good as them or better is all we need.

As for "beautiful football ", f**k it, i really don't care. The club is king, not the players. If all the galacticos left European football, I'd shrug and watch whoever was waring an Arsenal shirt.

Honestly, Fair play.

Wouldn't be a big club in a big league but would still be Arsenal. Whether or not games were shown on TV, stadiums were half full,talent was below the average.

Im sure there are some people who watch the BBL(British Basketball league) even though the NBA exists.

A fan of the Newcastle Eagles myself.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby UFGN » Tue May 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Apollo wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Apollo wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Apollo wrote:
UFGN wrote:How about a radical system where players can only be paid according to how many goals, assists, clean sheets, trophies, appearances and league position they achieve, in addition to a basic wage of no more than about €100,000. This would still allow the best players to earn the most.

Crucially, the rates would be set centrally by Uefa and all amounts would be Net, so income tax differences between countries wouldn't be a factor.

Then everyone goes to the MLS, and the MLS becomes the strongest/only relevant league in the world.

And my match ticket gets much cheaper. Meanwhile all the plastics are watching MLS and Arsenal are competing against other clubs in a more honest, more meaningful league.

Sounds good to me.

I guess a league with Jermaine Defoe being the star attraction wouldn't be all that bad.

The'd be more natives starting for the winning teams so that's another bonus, when the capped International footballers reach their 40s they could find their way back to Europe and play for one of the top 4 as their curtain call.

Yes.

If Mata and Costa are the best players in the league then we need to have players as good as them to win the league. But if the best players are Peter Crouch and Charlie Adam, then players as good as them or better is all we need.

As for "beautiful football ", f**k it, i really don't care. The club is king, not the players. If all the galacticos left European football, I'd shrug and watch whoever was waring an Arsenal shirt.

Honestly, Fair play.

Wouldn't be a big club in a big league but would still be Arsenal. Whether or not games were shown on TV, stadiums were half full,talent was below the average.

Im sure there are some people who watch the BBL(British Basketball league) even though the NBA exists.

I still think the matches would be well attended. The tickets would be cheaper and that would bring more people through the turnstiles despite there being no Alexis, Fabregas etc
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 19, 2015 4:33 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Trust me I know, that gets brought up every time I bring this up. I know it would have to be different than here in the US, doesn't mean it can't happen though, at least start talking about options ya know.

And I believe if you put a cap on big spending, the trickle down affect of it all would help lower teams eventually. They would have a better chance to compete and win, which inevitably would help.

I never said that it can't happen. But a salary cap in european footy is just an utopistic idea.
There are too many parties and too many things to be discussed and dealt with before a genuine salary cap can be brought into play.

The main difference is that in US sports, players are paid via a CBA while in europe every player negotiates his deal by himself (or more commonly through his agent).

and there are various other things:
- who upholds the cap - the UEFA, the national football associations, the leagues or the clubs themselvs ? Note here that different countries have different league setups. The Premier League in England isn't directly linked with the FA, the Bundesliga (DFL) in Germany isn't linked with the DFB (they are working together, but both are seperate organisations) etc etc.
- how do you determine the level at which the cap should be ? Again, there are 54 UEFA members to think about here. If there are at least 10 clubs per country (and there are usually much much more), that makes it 540 to take into consideration.
- what happens if a club goes over the cap ?
- is the cap subject to only to the professional team or does it apply to the amateur team too ? (here in Germany, most professional teams have an amateur team playing in the lower divisions)
- To which divisions does the cap apply ?

Those are just the major questions off the top of my head, I could possibly think of about at least 50 or so.
Besides, I don't think that a cap would really change anything.

Those that already have money wouldn't lose anything, and those without money wouldn't really gain any advantage.

the FFP should have been some mix between salary and transfer cap, but as you've seen it hasn't been effective at all.
Those that spent big, continued to do so.

Not every sport is the same in the US first of all, like baseball it doesn't have a cap at all. And no not all leagues have the CBA agreement, I think that is only the NFL (maybe the NHL too), players and agents still negotiate contracts like normal, and players are paid based on performance.

Yes there would have to be some sort of governing body of course, which I already said.

And I understand all those other questions, that's why it would have to take huge cooperation from many people.

The idea isn't to take away so much from the cash strapped teams now, it is to help the teams that will never be able to realistically compete without the money, and only limit the already rich teams on what they can spend. Obviously the idea is to bring parity to football so you don't have sugar daddies buying up clubs playing fantasy football.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CukiZeGerman » Tue May 19, 2015 4:40 pm

StLGooner wrote:Not every sport is the same in the US first of all, like baseball it doesn't have a cap at all. And no not all leagues have the CBA agreement, I think that is only the NFL (maybe the NHL too), players and agents still negotiate contracts like normal, and players are paid based on performance.

AFAIK every sport except baseball has a CBA in place - NFL, NHL, NBA and MLS.
And a CBA means the possibility of a league lockout - which is something that never happens in european footy.

And I don't think that the respective organisations (corporations) would be able to enforce a cap.
Hence why the MLB doesn't have one.

StLGooner wrote:Yes there would have to be some sort of governing body of course, which I already said.

We already have too many governing bodies, I don't think there is place for a new one.

As said, as it stands, a salary cap is just an utopistic idea.
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Apollo » Tue May 19, 2015 4:49 pm

UFGN wrote:
Apollo wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Apollo wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Apollo wrote:

Sounds good to me.

Yes.

Honestly, Fair play.

I still think the matches would be well attended. The tickets would be cheaper and that would bring more people through the turnstiles despite there being no Alexis, Fabregas etc

I think it would go much further than top branch talent.

The league and teams can afford to pay the wages they do because of Foreign Capital,International support bases,ticket sales,shirt sales etc

Say the base is at €100,000, top talent leaves.
That amount will no longer be the premium because clubs wouldnt be able to afford paying players that much, So Wages drop throughout the line. Advertising drops, foreign investment drops, foreign support bases drops,Television revenue drops.

Now clubs are no longer filthy Rich, they're borderline.If the talent that can be attracted is Stoke level whilst there's a Super league somewhere else with all the worlds premier talent you could except to see far more NY Red Bulls jerseys in the middle of London then you would AFC.

Talent attracts Viewers, Viewers attract Capital,Capital attracts more Talent, which in turn attracts more viewers.

Tickets would certainly be cheaper though, doubt a club would be able to maintain or fill a stadium as big as the Emirates though,without any attractions.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 19, 2015 5:01 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Not every sport is the same in the US first of all, like baseball it doesn't have a cap at all. And no not all leagues have the CBA agreement, I think that is only the NFL (maybe the NHL too), players and agents still negotiate contracts like normal, and players are paid based on performance.

AFAIK every sport except baseball has a CBA in place - NFL, NHL, NBA and MLS.
And a CBA means the possibility of a league lockout - which is something that never happens in european footy.

And I don't think that the respective organisations (corporations) would be able to enforce a cap.
Hence why the MLB doesn't have one.

StLGooner wrote:Yes there would have to be some sort of governing body of course, which I already said.

We already have too many governing bodies, I don't think there is place for a new one.

As said, as it stands, a salary cap is just an utopistic idea.

Ah ok, well I thought the CBA was just something the keeps the players from making too much and bankrupting the owners, doesn't mean it has to be used in football.

I think it could work with a lot of thought and planning, and is something that is needed in football imo of course.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:44 pm

Uefa about to scrap it

What a joke it was
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Previous