2030 World Cup Bid?

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: 2026 World Cup bid?

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
But still, imagine inventing a sport and being irrelevant. Knocked out of the last major tournament by a country with a population of 330k.

Is this coming from a septic whose country invented their own sport and then caked their local tournament the world series just so they could pretend to be good at it?

We didn't invent baseball, try again sweetie!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:38 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
But still, imagine inventing a sport and being irrelevant. Knocked out of the last major tournament by a country with a population of 330k.

Is this coming from a septic whose country invented their own sport and then caked their local tournament the world series just so they could pretend to be good at it?

You invented baseball just as much as the English invented football didn't you?

Baseball was just a game in England and only had popularity as a sport in North America.

Saying that you didn't invent it because English people played it is tantamount to saying the British didn't invent football because similar games were played in China 3000 years ago
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:39 pm

LMAO wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

TIL the US is shit at baseball.
Who knows? You might be. Nobody else gives enough of a shit to try and beat you.

It's like saying Canadians are good at Curling. No, sweetie, it's just that nobody else wastes their time sweeping ice
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Pudpop wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

You invented baseball just as much as the English invented football didn't you?

Baseball was just a game in England and only had popularity as a sport in North America.

Saying that you didn't invent it because English people played it is tantamount to saying the British didn't invent football because similar games were played in China 3000 years ago

No I believe it was the Canadians actually. Or more so, nobody really even knows for sure.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:04 pm

So how does this work with automatic entry then? Do all 3 countries get in? Certainly that can't be the case.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:10 pm

StLGooner wrote:So how does this work with automatic entry then? Do all 3 countries get in? Certainly that can't be the case.

I don't know

With Japan / South Korea they both did iirc

Mexico will probably qualify in their own right anyway. Maybe they're banking on that
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:14 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:So how does this work with automatic entry then? Do all 3 countries get in? Certainly that can't be the case.

I don't know

Mexico will probably qualify in their own right anyway. Maybe they're banking on that

I'd rather we have to qualify the normal way to be honest.

I do really think we will be a good team one day. Our U-17's made it to the quarterfinals. Football/soccer is getting bigger everyday here now. Instead of going to college, our youth players are joining European youth teams to get better development. I wouldn't be surprised if win it before I die. I know most will laugh at that, but I'm serious. We have so many athletes here, once we get a good generation or two with good development like the rest of the world, I think we'll be good. And then the world will hate us even more. Especially you lot! :lol:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:18 pm

3rd World Cup for Mexico that they are hosting

Seriously wtf
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Ach wrote:3rd World Cup for Mexico that they are hosting

Seriously wtf

That cartel clout.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Callum » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:12 pm

I think all 3 will qualify automatically as it's an expanded 48-team tournament now. There'll be 6 spots for CONCACAF teams so 3 will be the hosts and 3 others will need to qualify.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Pleased with this.

The World Cup is about putting on a show, and most of all running the tv broadcasting properly. The Americans are first class at both.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:00 am

Pudpop wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

TIL the US is shit at baseball.

Who knows? You might be. Nobody else gives enough of a shit to try and beat you.

It's like saying Canadians are good at Curling. No, sweetie, it's just that nobody else wastes their time sweeping ice

Explain this then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic :dontknow:

Baseball may not be globally ubiquitous like football and basketball, but to dismiss the sport altogether by saying no other country gives enough of a shit is completely ignorant.

Toodles.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:11 am

StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

I don't know

I'd rather we have to qualify the normal way to be honest.

I do really think we will be a good team one day. Our U-17's made it to the quarterfinals. Football/soccer is getting bigger everyday here now. Instead of going to college, our youth players are joining European youth teams to get better development. I wouldn't be surprised if win it before I die. I know most will laugh at that, but I'm serious. We have so many athletes here, once we get a good generation or two with good development like the rest of the world, I think we'll be good. And then the world will hate us even more. Especially you lot! :lol:

Yo stfu please don't tempt fate like that :grin:

Although, we won't have Bruce Arena then...

As long as we can find some competitive fixtures, then we should be fine. Maybe get a series going on with Mexico (rotating between stadiums here and the Azteca) while other nations are going through qualifiers, then continue to increase the level of competition with the Germanys and Brazils of the world to fine tune things a few months before the World Cup.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:26 am

US soccer needs a major overhaul before 2026. Youth teams need better technical coaching rather than depending on physical and atheletic prowess. That saves you at the junior level but not at the pro level. Redo the mls and lift the stupid salary cap. Let real competition enter the league and players fight for higher wages and places. The entire aparatus has stagnated for years under Gulati.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: 2030 World Cup Bid?

Postby Angelito » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:06 am

World Cup 2030: FAW holds talks over home nations World Cup bid

The Football Association of Wales has held talks over a potential home nations bid for the 2030 World Cup.

FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford believes the joint proposal would be "strong and compelling".

Discussions are ongoing and no decision on whether to press ahead with plans will be made until "well into 2019", but Ford confirmed there is set to be a feasibility study into the prospect.

Uefa has previously said it would "strongly support" such a bid.

A Downing Street spokesman has also said the UK government would be supportive of a bid involving the home nations.

"This is something that has come up in conversation and it is something we are looking into," Ford told BBC Sport Wales.

"It's no more than that and there's going to be no news until at least midway through 2019.

"But there is going to be a little bit of a feasibility study to see whether or not a UK-wide bid, a home nations bid or similar, would be a powerful, strong bid.

"Personally, I think it would be and I think, should we go forward at that stage - which, as I say, won't be determined until well into 2019 - I think we'd have a very strong and compelling bid.

"There's a long way to go on it but it could be 2030, Fifa World Cup in the home nations - what a fantastic opportunity that would be."

An English-led home nations bid for the 2030 World Cup was described in June as "definitely on the radar" by former Scottish FA boss Stewart Regan.

It came after Fifa vice-president David Gill said England should have "great confidence" in bidding for the 2030 tournament, having lost out to Russia for the right to host the 2018 tournament.

An SFA spokesman said in July it would be "open-minded" about a joint bid while, earlier this month, Northern Ireland manager Michael Hughes said hosting World Cup games at Windsor Park would be "huge" for the country.

Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay have announced their plans to jointly bid for 2030 while Tunisia would be open to the idea of a North African bid along with Algeria and Morocco.

"The reality is for countries like Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, it's always going to be a case of having to do it in partnership with another, and the logical partner for us would be England," added Ford.

"You need a lot of stadia now; of course, the structure of the competition has changed - you need 16 40,000-seater stadia.

"Of course, we have a fantastic stadium with the Principality Stadium and we'd love to be there, but there's a lot of discussions to be had."

Asked whether the potential bid would include all four home nations, Ford said: "All of the discussions are still being had, so there's a lot of wait and see."
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to World Football