2030 World Cup Bid?

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: 2026 World Cup bid?

Postby elkanofan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:23 pm

The world cup is already sponsored by Coke and McDonalds.

Adidas instead of Nike.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:47 pm

Brandon wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:England on the other hand already has its stadiums built with the infrastructure in place, expansion is a minor addition. FIFA may want that but when the grounds are only half full for North Korea vs Honduras, that doesn't reflect well. Also you lot over there can't even call the sport by its proper name. And the point made by Cripps was very valid, you just had it in 94, why should america get it again before the Home of Football?

Tbf, you're the ones who invented the word "soccer". Also, England is not the "Home of Football"; I'd agree if you said "Birthplace of Football".

Why should America get it?
-We already have the infrastructure (airports, roads, venues, hotels, restaurants, etc.) in place to handle millions of tourists.
-Other than China, we're the country that will bring in the most revenue for FIFA, and by a good margin at that. And once again, more money = FIFA happy.
-Football is growing at a rapid pace in America. Just like 1994 gave us that push, 2026 will be the last hurdle that eventually puts us into the elite tier of international football.
-I don't know if you know geography, but Honduras is relatively close to the United States; also, there is a significant Honduran population in America. No way will a Honduras match ever be "half full". And North Korea will hire Chinese people like they did in South Africa to fill those extra seats. Won't reflect well on England when Villa Park is only half full for North Korea vs. Honduras.
-Every match will be sold out and stadiums will be filled to capacity, or very well near it.
-I know our immigration policies are strict, but I can't imagine the same could be said for our visa policies.

I thnk if the tickets were about 45 pound you would have good crowds for all games in england
Pro rata that was the price of nigeria v bulgaria in 1994 in Dallas and the ground was less than half full
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby TommyGoon » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Obviously biased living in London, but I think England is the most obvious choice for 2026. It should be coming to Europe. As others have said, the US could host an amazing world cup but they only just had it in 1994. England should be hosting the cup once a century and it will have been 60 years in 2026.
TommyGoon
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Pudpop » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:05 pm

Surely the next North American world cup will have to be held in Mexico? No way America should get it again before Mexico
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CukiZeGerman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Pudpop wrote:Surely the next North American world cup will have to be held in Mexico? No way America should get it again before Mexico

Mexico got to host 2 WCs in the span of 16 years (1970 & 1986). If it will be hosted in North America, either Canada or the US.
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Royal Gooner » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:18 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Surely the next North American world cup will have to be held in Mexico? No way America should get it again before Mexico

Mexico got to host 2 WCs in the span of 16 years (1970 & 1986). If it will be hosted in North America, either Canada or the US.

They only have 4 stadiums over 40,000 capacity. They would need some serious building to get a world cup but I would like to see Canada get it.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Guys, this is FIFA we're talking about.

It is always going to be about who fronts the most currency, that is why I reckon USA will get it.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Royal Gooner » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:23 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Guys, this is FIFA we're talking about.

It is always going to be about who fronts the most currency, that is why I reckon USA will get it.

Should let IFAB pick it. One vote per member for the vote rather than 4 for FIFA and 1 for the rest.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:50 am

2026 World Cup: North America Edition

60 games in the United States, 10 games in Mexico, and 10 games in Canada, with the Quarterfinals on to be played in the United States.

If the groups aren't clustered in regions, then it'll be a logistical nightmare. But I can see regions like:
•Northeast (NYC, Boston, Philadelphia) = 2 Groups (6 games) + R32 (2 games) + Quarterfinal (1 game) + Semifinal (1 game)
•Canada (Toronto, Montreal) = 1 Group (3 games) + R32 (1 game) + R16 (1 game)
•Mid-Atlantic (DC, Baltimore) = 1 Group (3 games) + R32 (1 game) + R16 (1 game) + Quarterfinal (1 game)
•South (Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Orlando) = 2 Groups (6 games) + R32 (2 games) + R16 (1 game)
•Midwest (Chicago, Minneapolis, Winnipeg) = 2 Groups (4 games + 2 games) + R32 (2 games) + Quarterfinal (1 game)
•Texas (Houston, Dallas, Austin) = 1 Group (3 games) + R32 (2 games) + R16 (1 game) + Third Place (1 game)
•Mexico (Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Torreon) = 2 Groups (6 games) + R32 (2 games) + R16 (2 games)
•Rockies and Southwest (Phoenix, Denver) = 1 Group (3 games) + R32 (1 games) + R16 (1 game)
•California + Las Vegas (Los Angeles, Bay Area, Las Vegas) = 2 Groups (6 games) + R32 (2 games) + Quarterfinal (1 game) + Final (1 game)
•Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver) = 2 Groups (4 games + 2 games) + R32 (1 game) + R16 (1 game) + Semifinal (1 game)
*Blue = United States, Green = Mexico, Red = Canada

Every region gets at least 1 group, 1 Round-of-32 game, and 1 Round-of-16 or better game. Also, no region has more than 10 games.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:33 am

TommyGoon wrote:Obviously biased living in London, but I think England is the most obvious choice for 2026. It should be coming to Europe. As others have said, the US could host an amazing world cup but they only just had it in 1994. England should be hosting the cup once a century and it will have been 60 years in 2026.

Obviously unaware of the rules .... you should now that:

The federations who have held the previous two world cups are exclude from the bidding process

- that's Europe (UEFA) and Asia (AFC) out ....

Only leaves North America, South America, Africa and Oceania ....

South America (CONMEBOL) with Brazil just demonstrated how a World Cup can decimate a country both economically and politically - no south American Country is capable or willing to try again so soon .....

Africa (CAF) can only realistically hold it in South Africa and they're bankrupt ....

Oceania (OFC) - where on a Island the size of a postage stamp? remember Australia is in the AFC (Asia)

That only leaves North America (CONCACAF) so it's a done deal .... they won't even need to pay the usual bribes ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:19 am

EliteKiller wrote:
TommyGoon wrote:Obviously biased living in London, but I think England is the most obvious choice for 2026. It should be coming to Europe. As others have said, the US could host an amazing world cup but they only just had it in 1994. England should be hosting the cup once a century and it will have been 60 years in 2026.

The federations who have held the previous two world cups are exclude from the bidding process

South America (CONMEBOL) with Brazil just demonstrated how a World Cup can decimate a country both economically and politically - no south American Country is capable or willing to try again so soon .....

Africa (CAF) can only realistically hold it in South Africa and they're bankrupt ....

Oceania (OFC) - where on a Island the size of a postage stamp? remember Australia is in the AFC (Asia)

That only leaves North America (CONCACAF) so it's a done deal .... they won't even need to pay the usual bribes ....

I can't see CONMEBOL bidding for 2026 with the 100th World Cup anniversary in 2030. I can see a joint bid of Argentina and Uruguay (maybe Chile too) for 2030 unanimously winning.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:20 am

I'm so hyped for this!

Other than Portland, which really needs to increase the capacity of Providence Park (21,144), every American city in my list has a top class stadium with capacity of at least 61,500 (Soldier Field in Chicago), with an average capacity of 68,307 (without Portland) and 66,061 (with Portland). I can't wait to see what stadium upgrades will look like 9 years from now. And then there's Estadio Azteca in Mexico City that has a capacity of 87,000.

This will be the biggest World Cup ever.

FIFA would be mad to give it to anyone else, especially with the 2030 World Cup that should be in South America.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Angelito » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:44 am

Brandon wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

I can't see CONMEBOL bidding for 2026 with the 100th World Cup anniversary in 2030. I can see a joint bid of Argentina and Uruguay (maybe Chile too) for 2030 unanimously winning.

^

Barring a disaster, Argentina and Uruguay will be hosting the 2030 WC.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:54 am

Brandon wrote: I can't see CONMEBOL bidding for 2026 with the 100th World Cup anniversary in 2030. I can see a joint bid of Argentina and Uruguay (maybe Chile too) for 2030 unanimously winning.

I think UEFA will be keen to hold the 100th anniversary ... joint bid from the big five nations England, Germany, France, Italy, Spain would be hard to ignore ...

but if CONMEBOL could get a joint bid going they might have a chance .... not sure Brazil would want any part, and that would hurt their chances

But 2026 to USA / Mexico / Canada is pretty much a certainty ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cripps » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:24 am

If the yanks do host it in 2026, hope Chicago Fire win the World Cup.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football