Henrikh Mkhitaryan

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Henrikh Mkhitaryan (on loan - AS Roma)

Postby Angelito » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:29 pm

aniym wrote:Looking at the state of our midfield, I can't help but think he'd have made more of a contribution than the likes of Ozil, Torreira and Willock had he stayed. And this is including the 3 months he spent injured at Roma.

Still, needs to be sold to eliminate the last few embers of Wenger's dumpster fire final season.

Mkhi wasn't Wenger's signing.

As has been mentioned two million times, Wenger lost his authority in his final season at Arsenal. On top of that, since that embarrassing title challenge in 15/16, Wenger never had the authority he did in transfers either.

There are theories that Xhaka, Mustafi, Perez, et al. were StatDNA signings authorized by Gazidis.

Wenger was never the kind to splash big money on the likes of Xhaka and Mustafi. He'd have spent £100m on Dybala. But he wasn't the kind to spend £35m on Mustafi.

It's also rumored that Wenger was against paying Oz £350k a week.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Yeah, I should have included Gazidis, that would be accurate. Wenger probably had a heart attack when he heard what Ozil had managed to negotiate.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:54 pm

Angelito wrote:
aniym wrote:Looking at the state of our midfield, I can't help but think he'd have made more of a contribution than the likes of Ozil, Torreira and Willock had he stayed. And this is including the 3 months he spent injured at Roma.

Still, needs to be sold to eliminate the last few embers of Wenger's dumpster fire final season.

As has been mentioned two million times, Wenger lost his authority in his final season at Arsenal. On top of that, since that embarrassing title challenge in 15/16, Wenger never had the authority he did in transfers either.

There are theories that Xhaka, Mustafi, Perez, et al. were StatDNA signings authorized by Gazidis.

Wenger was never the kind to splash big money on the likes of Xhaka and Mustafi. He'd have spent £100m on Dybala. But he wasn't the kind to spend £35m on Mustafi.

Most of those signings mentioned are Wenger signings, Auba and Mhiki maybe not but the rest were and they were just the kind of signings Wenger loved, Unknowns that he thought he could turn into world beaters.

Most of the time he failed to do so and we’re still stuck with two of his awful signings Xhaka and Mustafi today.

As for Gazidis, Wenger has all the power, not Gazidis.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:24 pm

But at that time Mustafi was a World Champion and Xakha was a Swiss international whom most of us thought would be the solution for a box to box mediocre that we coveted for a long time.
Mustafi actually started pretty promisingly but faded w/time. Both were established stars when they joined Arsenal.
If things don't pan out it is hardly the recruiters fault.
Remember Veron and DiMaria of ManU? Soldado of Spuds?
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ag6789 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:25 pm

Medio for mediocre....typo
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:15 am

ag6789 wrote:But at that time Mustafi was a World Champion and Xakha was a Swiss international whom most of us thought would be the solution for a box to box mediocre that we coveted for a long time.
Mustafi actually started pretty promisingly but faded w/time. Both were established stars when they joined Arsenal.

Nobody really knew anything about Mustafi, likewise Xhaka whose signing I questioned from the start, 35 million for an unknown was ridiculous, we missed out on Kante and signed this guy instead and he's been awful ever since.

I don't think you'll find one fan who given the money we had would have spent it on either of these two.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby alexafc12 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:11 am

Özim wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Most of those signings mentioned are Wenger signings, Auba and Mhiki maybe not but the rest were and they were just the kind of signings Wenger loved, Unknowns that he thought he could turn into world beaters.

Most of the time he failed to do so and we’re still stuck with two of his awful signings Xhaka and Mustafi today.

Mutafi and Xhaka never struck me as Wenger signings to be honest. Both were pretty expensive and weren't in the normal mold of his signings.

Regardless the bigger issue is that we continue to perform poorly in the transfer market. Every club makes signings that don't turn out as expected / hoped but we seem to be able to do so more often than not.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:24 am

Özim wrote:
ag6789 wrote:But at that time Mustafi was a World Champion and Xakha was a Swiss international whom most of us thought would be the solution for a box to box mediocre that we coveted for a long time.

Nobody really knew anything about Mustafi, likewise Xhaka whose signing I questioned from the start, 35 million for an unknown was ridiculous, we missed out on Kante and signed this guy instead and he's been awful ever since.

I don't think you'll find one fan who given the money we had would have spent it on either of these two.

You didn’t know about them. Many of us did. Mustafi was at Everton. He was also a World Cup winner. Xhaka was heavily linked with Bayern as a replacement for Xabi.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ag6789 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Yes, it shows how poorly informed some of us are, but always ready to argue just for the sake of it.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:41 pm

Mustafi and Xhaka were very promising signings. I was at the Emirates for Mustafis debut and he had a very good game. It’s a shame neither amounted to much.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Xhaka was bought before Euro 2016. So watched him carefully during that.

He was awful. That Albania game lives long in the memory.

Performed a miracle for us and has been even worse
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:24 pm

Özim wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Wenger isn't someone to spend £35m on these types of players. The power struggle between Wenger and Gazidis is known to all.

Nobody knows what actually went down. What we do know is Wenger's love for a bargain, his dilly-dallying, and his habit of penny pinching.

Wenger (and Mou) both didn't want Lacazette either. Allegedly.

The events that started in 15/16 until Wenger's departure have lots of shades. Nothing is obvious. What we can do is guess based on patterns.

Nobody can say anything with certainty.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:17 pm

I expected more from Xhaka and Mustafi, you don't play for Valencia if you are shit and Xhaka looked good in the Bundesliga.

The Premier League has a way of making good players look mediocre, I mean Forlan and Veron both looked average at best but we all knew they were quality players.

I still think Mkhi can do a job for us, in the right system.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:33 pm

asroma.com
MKHITARYAN EXTENDS EXTENDS STAY AT THE CLUB

The club is delighted to confirm that midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan will continue his stay in Rome.

The club has extended the original loan agreement that will now see Mkhitaryan, 31, stay until the end of the current campaign, while a preliminary agreement has also been reached for the player to remain for the 2020-21 season.

“I'm very pleased,” Mkhitaryan said.

“I'm happy to extend my stay here, because I still have things that I haven’t achieved yet that I want to achieve.

“I’m looking forward to it.”

Mkhitaryan has provided six goals and four assists in 19 games for the club to date.

He has started both of the side’s matches since Serie A restarted earlier this month.

“We are happy that Henrikh has decided to stay with us, and help us continue to grow,” said Guido Fienga, the club’s CEO.

“The club’s targets have not changed and we always want to have players at our club, like Micki, who show their desire, professionalism and determination, who represent our club and our fans in the right way.

“I hope Micki stays at Roma for a long time – and I want to congratulate him on the birth of his son here, too.”
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Angelito » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am

Worst transfer in history. Losing a GOAT for free and getting him in return.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to World Football