Who is the best Manager in Club Football today?

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

The Best Football Manager in Club Football

Poll ended at Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:52 am

Arsène Wenger
No votes
Carlo Ancelotti
14%
Diego Simeone
5%
José Mourinho
43%
Jürgen Klopp
14%
Manuel Pellegrini
No votes
Marcelo Bielsa
No votes
Pep Guardiola
24%
Other (Specify)
No votes

Total votes : 21

Re: Who is the best Manager in Club Football today?

Postby Cripps » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:23 pm

It's raining and I'm ill.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Schlandi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:23 pm

Not sure which one I will pick yet or if I add an "Other" one.
Mourinho is a really good shout.
Ancelotti managed especially AC Milan as they were a powerhouse very well.
Klopp established after some years Mainz in the Bundesliga and lead Dortmund back to trophies.
Simeone also is really good at Atletico.
Pellegrini is good too and was surprisingly successful with Villareal but won't get my vote.
Bielsa hardly know anything about him or watched his teams so he won't get my vote tbh.
Wenger well if that voting would have happened ten years ago I might have voted for him but today no chance.

Angelito wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:Guardiola might have won titles but he take over already strong teams twice imo he never take over some "average" team and lead them to glory so from my point of view he can't be the best coach/manager, he also barely integrated youth players from the clubs and killed the joy to watch Barca back then and Bayern last season and bored the shit out of me.

So who acc. to you?

And, it can be argued that he built this Barca dynasty. Xavi wanted to leave before Pep took over because Rijkaard treated him like "cancer" at the club. Also, he put Messi as the false #9 and recognized Iniesta's talent.

Xavi played in nearly every match and had a lot of minutes under Rijkaard for "cancer" ;)
Rijkaard also gave Valdez his first full season while the only player from Barca B Guardiola included in his three seasons was Busquets IIRC.
Like you already mentioned Rijkaard integrated Messi and started to play Inestia alongside Xavi, Pep mostly reap the fruit of his labour, imo.

btw:

In 2008:
Xavi was full of praise for Rijkaard and believes that the Dutchman will be, and should be, fondly remembered for the success that he brought tot he club.

He deserves the very best. He treats people marvellously, he talks about things, he’s kind, and nobody could wish him any harm. He sets an example on all levels, as a coach and as a person; he has left his mark on the squad. If he had won things he would have stayed," he continued.

"Football isn’t fair, but that’s the way it works.” The player from Terrassa was asked what Rijkaard’s mood had been like in training, and replied that “he was serene and calm and asked us to play our last two games with dignity."

In 2012 after Pep brainwashed him (conspiracy modus):
"Rijkaard did not believe in me. He wanted our game to be based on a superior physical level. He believed that it was the only way to be at the same level as the top clubs in Europe," Xavi told French newspaper L'Equipe.

"Four or five years ago, I was [deemed] terrible and useless. I was Barca's cancer! A player 1,70m tall was simply impossible."

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Cripps » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Xavi :rofll:

Criticising another manager to make guardiola look good
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Dubs4Sam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:43 pm

I nearly selected Mourinho - Jesus nearly wept.

Has to be Pep for me - now that Project Barca is on the slope doesnt take away from the fact of his pedigree who brought something new to the football world once like our own Arsene did. He is also now showing he can adapt with the players at his disposal at Bayern.
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Santi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:48 pm

@Schland Pedro got his chance under Guardiola too. And Tello and Cuenca. He definitely gave the youngsters a go when he had the chance.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Schlandi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:02 pm

Mesüt wrote:@Schland Pedro got his chance under Guardiola too. And Tello and Cuenca. He definitely gave the youngsters a go when he had the chance.

Ok, noted but all of them turned out to be at best average (IMO) some already left Barcelona from the Rijkaard "boys" only Valdez left yet and they were starters.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Santi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Pedro was a revelation when he came through, had 2-3 good seasons and has now been slumped down due to injuries and purchases of Neymar/Suarez.

I agree with the other two, they were always pretty average but he can only give chances to the best talent he has in the b team. Didn't he also bring Pique back? He's another who enjoyed some very good seasons under Pep, now looks average.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Maradonna » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Cripps wrote:It's raining and I'm ill.

don you need a nurse?, im available ;)
Last edited by Maradonna on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:16 pm

SchlandGooner wrote:Not sure which one I will pick yet or if I add an "Other" one.
Mourinho is a really good shout.
Ancelotti managed especially AC Milan as they were a powerhouse very well.
Klopp established after some years Mainz in the Bundesliga and lead Dortmund back to trophies.
Simeone also is really good at Atletico.
Pellegrini is good too and was surprisingly successful with Villareal but won't get my vote.
Bielsa hardly know anything about him or watched his teams so he won't get my vote tbh.
Wenger well if that voting would have happened ten years ago I might have voted for him but today no chance.

Angelito wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:Guardiola might have won titles but he take over already strong teams twice imo he never take over some "average" team and lead them to glory so from my point of view he can't be the best coach/manager, he also barely integrated youth players from the clubs and killed the joy to watch Barca back then and Bayern last season and bored the shit out of me.

So who acc. to you?

And, it can be argued that he built this Barca dynasty. Xavi wanted to leave before Pep took over because Rijkaard treated him like "cancer" at the club. Also, he put Messi as the false #9 and recognized Iniesta's talent.

Xavi played in nearly every match and had a lot of minutes under Rijkaard for "cancer" ;)
Rijkaard also gave Valdez his first full season while the only player from Barca B Guardiola included in his three seasons was Busquets IIRC.
Like you already mentioned Rijkaard integrated Messi and started to play Inestia alongside Xavi, Pep mostly reap the fruit of his labour, imo.

btw:

In 2008:
Xavi was full of praise for Rijkaard and believes that the Dutchman will be, and should be, fondly remembered for the success that he brought tot he club.

He deserves the very best. He treats people marvellously, he talks about things, he’s kind, and nobody could wish him any harm. He sets an example on all levels, as a coach and as a person; he has left his mark on the squad. If he had won things he would have stayed," he continued.

"Football isn’t fair, but that’s the way it works.” The player from Terrassa was asked what Rijkaard’s mood had been like in training, and replied that “he was serene and calm and asked us to play our last two games with dignity."

In 2012 after Pep brainwashed him (conspiracy modus):
"Rijkaard did not believe in me. He wanted our game to be based on a superior physical level. He believed that it was the only way to be at the same level as the top clubs in Europe," Xavi told French newspaper L'Equipe.

"Four or five years ago, I was [deemed] terrible and useless. I was Barca's cancer! A player 1,70m tall was simply impossible."

Again, I'm just posting a possible argument: you couldn't honestly expect Xavi to criticize his current manager ala Rijkaard. ;)

Saying Pep took over an already great Barca side is a tad harsh. If such were the case, he'd have won definitely, but he wouldn't have developed the greatest side of this generation. That Barca side was unplayable until Pep's last season there. Credit where credit's due.

Cripps wrote:Winning the title with record points and goal scoring and destroying the Barca/Guardiola era is a flop?

Really?

I'd love it if wenger flopped like that

Sadly, he is considered a Madrid flop. He was hired for La Decima. Both times got knocked out the first time they came up against a tough opposition - both times in the semis. Otherwise, Real had an easy run until the semis under Mou.

He lost everybody at Madrid. He was hated by the players for his style. The man made REAL F'KIN MADRID park the bus. Just think about that for a second. Real Madrid - the most fluently attacking team in the world - parking the bus against big oppositions (mainly Bayern and Barca). Holy Cow.

The record points is great and a splendid accomplishment, but when you look at the money they spent and the team Real had - for a manager apparently considered the best in the world - Jose didn't reach the heights expected of him. 1 La Liga and 1 CDR and a turmulous time at Madrid where he fought with nearly every player, except a handful and had a massive rift with Real Madrid's prized Icon, Ronaldo; that surely cannot be a "successful" run. Also, this is Real Madrid we're talking about. If he got 100 points for Valencia, that would have been bigger than winning the Treble with Inter (for Mou), but for Real Madrid - that 1 La Liga title wasn't worth Mou's bullshit run on and off the pitch.

A small time club like Chelsea will accept Jose's pettiness. Madrid won't.

On Pep vs. Mou, Pep has a better H2H record with Mou. Mou has better H2H against almost all of his contemporaries, but Pep truly humbled the man. I like Mou more than Pep, but can't deny facts.

PS: Speaking of Inter, there are people who believe that Mancini built the foundation for Mourinho to finish it off. ;) Devil's advocate and all.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:34 pm

When they won the league, they scored a record number of goals. That's not parking the bus. What sets Mourinho apart from Guardiola is he can change his style and still be successful. Guardiola knows how to play only one way. If that doesn't work, he cries and runs off to usa for a year.

Yes he has the better head to head but I look at the Guardiola quitting Barca and going out of management for a year as he couldn't handle the fact that jose had found him out and was destroying him mentally as well as on the pitch and instead of manning up and fighting back, he cried off for a year. He'd never admit it but it's clear for anyone who watched la liga at the time, Guardiola left cos he couldn't handle the Jose factor.

Mourinho was hired to yes win la decima but also to overthrow Barca which he did comfortably in the end. Do not forget, Real were piss poor in the CL for years before Mourinho came to town. Could he have done better? He himself would say yes but I wouldn't say he flopped.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Schlandi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Angelito wrote:On Pep vs. Mou, Pep has a better H2H record with Mou. Mou has better H2H against almost all of his contemporaries, but Pep truly humbled the man. I like Mou more than Pep, but can't deny facts.

If I remember correctly at least two of the Barca - Chelsea games were highly controversial and these matches were a huge part of the creation of "UEFAlona". Still remember Ballack running like a headless chicken behind the referee and scream at him plus Drogba who might have killed the ref after the game if his teammates didn't hold him back :biggrin:

#GoonersWorldExcuses
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Santi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:43 pm

If his team that broke the record were so good, why did he win diddly squat the next year and fall out with all the players? Surely they should've been high as a kite.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:44 pm

SchlandGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:On Pep vs. Mou, Pep has a better H2H record with Mou. Mou has better H2H against almost all of his contemporaries, but Pep truly humbled the man. I like Mou more than Pep, but can't deny facts.

If I remember correctly at least two of the Barca - Chelsea games were highly controversial and these matches were a huge part of the creation of "UEFAlona". Still remember Ballack running like a headless chicken behind the referee and scream at him plus Drogba who might have killed the ref after the game if his teammates didn't hold him back :biggrin:

That was in 2009, semi final 2nd leg. Hiddink was the chelsea manager but the ref did single handedly win Barca that game. Worst ref performance of all time IMO.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 pm

Cripps wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:

That was in 2009, semi final 2nd leg. Hiddink was the chelsea manager but the ref did single handedly win Barca that game. Worst ref performance of all time IMO.

hi ;)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Schlandi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 pm

Mesüt wrote:If his team that broke the record were so good, why did he win diddly squat the next year and fall out with all the players? Surely they should've been high as a kite.

Good point but I could raise a "counter question"
Why didn't the invisibles win the trophy in the next season ;)

#GoonersWorldExcuses
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to World Football