Wembley to host Euro 2020 SF/Final

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Wembley to host Euro 2020 SF/Final

Postby Massa » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:43 pm

"@england: London and @WembleyStadium to host @UEFA #EURO2020 Final and Semi-Finals!!! #Wembley2020. http://t.co/4d0jcHAYDZ"
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Re: Wembley to host Euro 2020 SF/Final

Postby Dubs4Sam » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Lets Have A Big Party ha ha. The closest Ireland will ever get to hosting the Euros. Happy Days.

Dublin has been awarded three group games and a round of 16 fixture at Euro 2020, with London to host the semi-final and final.

Aviva Stadium will be the venue for the four Dublin-based games of the 24-team tournament.

Wembley Stadium will host the semi-finals and final. London emerged as favourite for the final over Munich after the German FA agreed to stand aside in exchange for support for their Euro 2024 bid.

There was some consolation for Munich; it will host three group games and a quarter-final, along with Baku, St Petersburg and Rome.

Seven other cities, Copenhagen, Bucharest, Amsterdam, Bilbao, Budapest, Brussels and Glasgow, will also stage three group games and a last 16 fixture.

Euro 2020 is being spread across Europe to mark the 60th anniversary of the tournament.

Qualification

Every host city will still have to qualify for the tournament, but Ireland would be guaranteed to play two group games in Dublin should they qualify.

UEFA confirmed that a maximum of two host teams will be permitted in each of the tournament group, "with every qualified host being guaranteed two home games in the group phase."

It was also confirmed that the allocation of hosting teams to tournament groups would take travel distances into account.

UEFA says that "where feasible" flights should not exceed two hours' duration between host cities to allow easy access to travelling fans.

Final: London
Semi Finals: London
Quarter Final + group games: Munich, Baku, St Petersburg, Rome
Last 16 + group games: Dublin, Copenhagen, Bucharest, Amsterdam, Bilbao, Budapest, Brussels, Glasgow

FAI Chief Executive John Delaney thanked Michel Platini and UEFA for the decision to award games to Dublin.

"In 2020 the Association will be entering its 100th year and this once-off opportunity to host part of the European finals at our home stadium will provide a major boost for Irish football and the country as a whole.

"We could not have done it on our own and I thank our partners, Dublin City Council, the Government and all of the organisations who put in tremendous work to win it for Ireland."
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby JordanTheGunner » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Am I the only who has been hit by this by surprise?

Didn't know they agreed to let multiple countries host the 2020 and definitely didn't know England was in the run in.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cripps » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:59 pm

JordanTheGunner wrote:Am I the only who has been hit by this by surprise?

Didn't know they agreed to let multiple countries host the 2020 and definitely didn't know England was in the run in.

You didn't know euro 2020 was going to be held all over Europe? You been living under a rock or something?

Anyway now that Wembley has it, I'm hoping to tick off another thing from my bucket list.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Schlandi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:19 pm

So we will most likely get the EC 2024 :1990_dancing.gif:

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:17 pm

They'll count that as hosting a major tourney so may as well not bother again for 50 years before a World Cup bid or anything
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Youngie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:47 pm

SchlandGooner wrote:So we will most likely get the EC 2024 :1990_dancing.gif:

I would of rather let the Germans have the SF and final, and for England to have hosted the whole 2024 EC. :(
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Seems only right that the largest national stadium in Europe host the final of a Europe wide championships. (though we didn't really need to deal with the devil since we'd have probably won on economics alone)

Still, if the deal goes as planned, we'll host the whole thing in 2028.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Schlandi » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:32 am

Youngie wrote:

I would of rather let the Germans have the SF and final, and for England to have hosted the whole 2024 EC. :(

Indeed but the majority of our stadiums is from 2002-2005 so around 2022 we need new ones or at least need to upgrade them :P
That might turn out surpreme for 1.FC Köln we urgently need a bigger stadiums but the club can't afford it :pray:

Anyways you have good chances to host the next one only a few countries can handle the new big EC with 24teams dunno if they will share it in the future ones again like EC2000 in the Netherlands + Belgium. I only read about Turkey who want to host a "big EC" so far.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Est83 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:38 am

Had no idea!

Think its a shit idea to be held in multiple countries too!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:40 am

Est83 wrote:

Had no idea!

Think its a shit idea to be held in multiple countries too!

I think its only because they didn't want to give it to Turkey because they were the only ones bidding before the Scotland-ROI bid came in late.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:43 am

SchlandGooner wrote:
Youngie wrote:

Indeed but the majority of our stadiums is from 2002-2005 so around 2022 we need new ones or at least need to upgrade them :P
That might turn out surpreme for 1.FC Köln we urgently need a bigger stadiums but the club can't afford it :pray:

Anyways you have good chances to host the next one only a few countries can handle the new big EC with 24teams dunno if they will share it in the future ones again like EC2000 in the Netherlands + Belgium. I only read about Turkey who want to host a "big EC" so far.

You say that but we were going to use the likes of Hillsborough, Villa Park, Elland Road, Anfield and St James' Park (which I think are slightly older than 2002) in our World Cup in 2018 had we got it.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Schlandi » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:13 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:
Youngie wrote:

You say that but we were going to use the likes of Hillsborough, Villa Park, Elland Road, Anfield and St James' Park (which I think are slightly older than 2002) in our World Cup in 2018 had we got it.

We regulary rebuild the existing ones before a big tournament or build some new ones plus spend some money for the infrastructure around the stadiums (f.e. new traffic connections) it's the time for politicans and clubs to waste some tax money for things that makes sense :sneaky2:
Before the WC2006 most host stadiums were from the WC1974 or older and slighty upgraded for the EC1988 (safety measures aso.) but a lot of them weren't real football stadiums like you guys have it for ages they had tartan tracks and the viewers were placed miles away from the pitch aso.

Köln old stadium around 2000 (capacity 63000 IIRC but at least 60000)

Up-to-date version (capacity only 50000 :( for UEFA/FIFA matches only 46000 cause of the terraces/standing room)

#GoonersWorldExcuses
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Uh-oh, buh-buy any chance of hosting the WC or Euros now.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Angelito wrote:Uh-oh, buh-buy any chance of hosting the WC or Euros now.

I don't think so. Remember that in order to get this we made a deal with ze germans to not oppose them in 2024 but that deal also included that Germany would support us in getting 2028.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Next

Return to World Football