Laurent Koscielny ~ Lolo

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: When will Koscielny start getting stick?

Postby gooney » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:41 pm

I see koscielny as by far the most important player in our club. When you have a CB with zero pace and have a DM with zero pace protecting him and 2 full backs who think they are wingers. Then any CB in the world will have problem. Half of our defending is about Kos pace and reaction to things. He is holding everything together. when he is out for a while you will realise how bad our defense is.

Wengers problem has always been he has relied way too much on certain players individual ability to carry others. Koscielny has been carrying mertesacker and gibbs for long time. He deserve to play in a better team with better players and manager
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Maradonna » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:45 pm

gooney wrote:I see koscielny as by far the most important player in our club. When you have a CB with zero pace and have a DM with zero pace protecting him and 2 full backs who think they are wingers. Then any CB in the world will have problem. Half of our defending is about Kos pace and reaction to things. He is holding everything together. when he is out for a while you will realise how bad our defense is.

Wengers problem has always been he has relied way too much on certain players individual ability to carry others. Koscielny has been carrying mertesacker and gibbs for long time. He deserve to play in a better team with better players and manager

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/
and f**k you.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby arsenalpan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:52 pm

gooney wrote:I see koscielny as by far the most important player in our club. When you have a CB with zero pace and have a DM with zero pace protecting him and 2 full backs who think they are wingers. Then any CB in the world will have problem. Half of our defending is about Kos pace and reaction to things. He is holding everything together. when he is out for a while you will realise how bad our defense is.

So do Ozil and Sanchez. These 3 can play for any top teams. What our team lacks is a DM, a real DM. I rather sell Cazola and Wilshere to get a world class DM.
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby gooney » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:59 pm

arsenalpan wrote:

So do Ozil and Sanchez. These 3 can play for any top teams. What our team lacks is a DM, a real DM. I rather sell Cazola and Wilshere to get a world class DM.

Aint gonna happen under wenger. When we needed a real DM, wenger choose flamini on free. Under wengers time as a manager he has never had much respect for the defensive side of the game. The special players in his mind is offensive players, most players can do a job defensively. This is why he will never win anything significant. I was consistent last season about how important it was for us that wenger went and that fa cup prolonged his stay. By the time wenger leaves we will be far behind the top teams
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Koscielnly has been far from stellar, but he's having to clean up for our whole defence - it's chaos at the back.

Firstly, he was partnered with a 19 year CB, and even though Chambers acquitted himself fairly well, Koscielny still had to assume more responsibility and there are bound to be breakdowns in any new CB pairing - especially when one CB is still a teenager.

Since Mertesacker's "return", he's been completely abysmal - it's as if he's still on his post World Cup holiday; he has no presence, he looks lethargic, and his body language is off. Koscielny has to cover for Mertesacker at the best of times, but at the moment Per is essentially just extremely tall deadweight, he's bringing nothing to our play and Koscielny can't do it all alone - especially against a top side like Dortmund.

It seems you're just campaigning for Koscielny to be criticized.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Cripps » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:14 pm

I'd agree with that if it wasn't for the fact Kos was our worst CB last night and that had nothing to do with Mert.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Jelly123 wrote:You're consistent in that you always find a single player to blame for any result.

Its not clear that you're not trying to blame someone at all.. you've blamed kos for us conceding 5 goals this season already, 1 of which you defended him about originally. Similar to what i said about the goals against City, if you break down down each goal we concede you can find multiple people who've made mistakes or who could've done some thing different to prevent the goal. To blame them purely on kos is ridiculous. its just pathetic defending all round from us.

For example, Dortmunds first goal. Why did we lose possession so easily from our own throw in? Why did Wilshire track back so half heartedly? Why did Per not close the ball when he had the chance at the half way line? why did gibbs not try making the tackle when he got back? Why didnt Kos make the tackle? Why did Schezney not make a better attempt to come out and spread himself?

Dortmunds second goal. Why was Aubameyang able to drop off Per to get so much space in the middle? why was the gap there? Why did bellerin stand so far off his man? why did per not pick him up as he ran through? why did schezney make such a pathetic attempt of coming out? why did we have 3 on 3 at the back?

Theres so many other factors in both of those goals, but as far as you're concerned they were both entirely Kos' fault. I agree he could've done better for the first, but so could many others and to lay the blame of both of them on him is ridiculous. its just a case of getting a bee in your bonnet about a player and suddenly seeing everything we do wrong as their fault

Webeck did well until he had to shoot, i've expressed this opinion and i've seen various others post comments of the same nature. Obviously some people seem to be blinkered to this and nothing he can do will be right, but i think Welbeck has begun to win a few people over.. Me included in this as i love his work rate and pace

I also think Ozil has done some good things, but i can understand fans getting frustrated with him due to the lack of effort he seems to put in. I dont think its unreasonable to at least expect our players to give it their all.

And i can understand why people will blame the formation. When so many of our players are all playing poorly i can see how the formation is causing such uproar. it seems like to much of a coincidence for them all to badly at the same time. Theres more to it than just that, but it seems like pretty reasonable conclusion to come too

didnt say they were both entirely kos' fault just kos takes the majority of the blame from both which is a reasonable thing to say.

Also i didnt say kos took the majority of the blame for the other goals in other games i just said that he has to take some blame which again isnt unreasonable. You've tried to indirectly label me a person who scapegoats however i dont think scapegoating someone is defined as finding different people culpable at different times.

There are still people that criticize ozil for us losing or us conceding 2 goals against city.

There are people who dont want to acknowledge that alexis put us under massive pressure at times last night. I see nothing wrong with pointing these things out at least it adds some balance to the directed and impartial criticism of the popular scapegoats.

Had arteta did what flamini did against city people would be calling him slow, past it ect. Had per been roasted the way kos was by immobile people would have said, he's slow, kos would have caught him up etc.

Kos' mistake for the second goal imo was the worst out of everyones. Yes a few players could have done better, per maybe could have been a yard further in field and bellerin should have put more pressure on the dortmund player. Arteta should also have been in the middle (it seems like that is our dms role on the counter). Even then kos was far too wide on the other side, even when playing a back 4 the defensive line shouldnt be as wide as that so when playing a back 3 it should at least be narrower or at least as wide as a back 4 (we were in a back 3 at that time, look at how our full backs tuck in further than kos did when we play a back 4). This mistake put us under the most pressure because it allowed a dangerous option to be free.

Per picked aubameyang up but he cannot pick up 2 potential runs that is why you need someone next you your cb.

Also there is no coincidence that we are playing badly but to blame it on the formations is ludicrous when the reason why we are playing badly is because people like ramsey, ozil, santi (at times) and even alexis. Have all forgotten how to pass.

Guys like wilshere, and debuchy were playing well so i dont think it's the formation that is the problem but the level that some of our players are performing at that is the problem. People ask why players aren't playing as well, but they want to look for every person or thing to blame other than the players who are playing. Blaming 1 player or 2 players isnt enough the reason why we have been so poor this season is because the majority of the team has been average.

Apart from wilshere, gibbs, debuchy, sanchez and monreal all of our players have put in more bad performances than good.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Massa » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:16 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:Wtaf? Thread is about the wrong CB imo

+1

Not that either need 'stick'
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Freeloader » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:22 pm

Massa wrote:

+1

Mertesacker defo needs stick. Slow f***er makes Kos look bad because he has to cover both their asses.
Show the spoiler
Wenger? More like w***er, amirite?!?
Freeloader
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Freeloader wrote:
Massa wrote:

+1

Mertesacker defo needs stick. Slow f**ker makes Kos look bad because he has to cover both their asses.

yup kos' poor positioning has nothing to do with him needing to cover 'mertesacker'

i guess hugging the touchline for aubameyangs goal and then sprinting desperately back in the center was kos 'covering mertesacker again'
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jelly123 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Salt and Wenger wrote:
Jelly123 wrote:You're consistent in that you always find a single player to blame for any result.

Its not clear that you're not trying to blame someone at all.. you've blamed kos for us conceding 5 goals this season already, 1 of which you defended him about originally. Similar to what i said about the goals against City, if you break down down each goal we concede you can find multiple people who've made mistakes or who could've done some thing different to prevent the goal. To blame them purely on kos is ridiculous. its just pathetic defending all round from us.

For example, Dortmunds first goal. Why did we lose possession so easily from our own throw in? Why did Wilshire track back so half heartedly? Why did Per not close the ball when he had the chance at the half way line? why did gibbs not try making the tackle when he got back? Why didnt Kos make the tackle? Why did Schezney not make a better attempt to come out and spread himself?

Dortmunds second goal. Why was Aubameyang able to drop off Per to get so much space in the middle? why was the gap there? Why did bellerin stand so far off his man? why did per not pick him up as he ran through? why did schezney make such a pathetic attempt of coming out? why did we have 3 on 3 at the back?

Theres so many other factors in both of those goals, but as far as you're concerned they were both entirely Kos' fault. I agree he could've done better for the first, but so could many others and to lay the blame of both of them on him is ridiculous. its just a case of getting a bee in your bonnet about a player and suddenly seeing everything we do wrong as their fault

Webeck did well until he had to shoot, i've expressed this opinion and i've seen various others post comments of the same nature. Obviously some people seem to be blinkered to this and nothing he can do will be right, but i think Welbeck has begun to win a few people over.. Me included in this as i love his work rate and pace

I also think Ozil has done some good things, but i can understand fans getting frustrated with him due to the lack of effort he seems to put in. I dont think its unreasonable to at least expect our players to give it their all.

And i can understand why people will blame the formation. When so many of our players are all playing poorly i can see how the formation is causing such uproar. it seems like to much of a coincidence for them all to badly at the same time. Theres more to it than just that, but it seems like pretty reasonable conclusion to come too

didnt say they were both entirely kos' fault just kos takes the majority of the blame from both which is a reasonable thing to say.

Also i didnt say kos took the majority of the blame for the other goals in other games i just said that he has to take some blame which again isnt unreasonable. You've tried to indirectly label me a person who scapegoats however i dont think scapegoating someone is defined as finding different people culpable at different times.

There are still people that criticize ozil for us losing or us conceding 2 goals against city.

There are people who dont want to acknowledge that alexis put us under massive pressure at times last night. I see nothing wrong with pointing these things out at least it adds some balance to the directed and impartial criticism of the popular scapegoats.

Had arteta did what flamini did against city people would be calling him slow, past it ect. Had per been roasted the way kos was by immobile people would have said, he's slow, kos would have caught him up etc.

Kos' mistake for the second goal imo was the worst out of everyones. Yes a few players could have done better, per maybe could have been a yard further in field and bellerin should have put more pressure on the dortmund player. Arteta should also have been in the middle (it seems like that is our dms role on the counter). Even then kos was far too wide on the other side, even when playing a back 4 the defensive line shouldnt be as wide as that so when playing a back 3 it should at least be narrower or at least as wide as a back 4 (we were in a back 3 at that time, look at how our full backs tuck in further than kos did when we play a back 4). This mistake put us under the most pressure because it allowed a dangerous option to be free.

Per picked aubameyang up but he cannot pick up 2 potential runs that is why you need someone next you your cb.

Also there is no coincidence that we are playing badly but to blame it on the formations is ludicrous when the reason why we are playing badly is because people like ramsey, ozil, santi (at times) and even alexis. Have all forgotten how to pass.

Guys like wilshere, and debuchy were playing well so i dont think it's the formation that is the problem but the level that some of our players are performing at that is the problem. People ask why players aren't playing as well, but they want to look for every person or thing to blame other than the players who are playing. Blaming 1 player or 2 players isnt enough the reason why we have been so poor this season is because the majority of the team has been average.

Apart from wilshere, gibbs, debuchy, sanchez and monreal all of our players have put in more bad performances than good.

I dont think its reasonable at all. Its just trying to make a problem with a player, purely as a reaction because you've seen Welbeck/Ozil/Wilshire get some stick which you don't agree with

You're also now going back on your word. You started this thread by blaming him for the conceding of all those goals, and partially for the aguero one. Not for making a few minor mistakes which may or may not have helped us concede. Im not sure if its scapegoating or what tbh, im not even sure if its intentional, but based on what ive seen from your posts, you seem to get a problem with a specific player and from there onwards everything they do is wrong and everything which goes wrong leads back to them.

Theres nothing wrong with pointing such things out, Sanchez lost the ball too many times when coming deep to collect it and putting us under pressure, specially in the first half. everyone could see that, but this seems to be a thread made to criticise someone coz your favourite 2 people 2 hate didn't start

I genuinely fail to see what Kos did wrong for the second goal. He was marking Immobile, Mert was picking up Aubameyang, just Aubameyang. theres nobody else even there for him to pick up? When the ball was played he saw the danger and mert lose his man, so came across and covered behind the keeper. Had the ball not of been scuffed into the ground and taken an awkward bounce he probably would've cleared it off the line and been the man of the moment. I honestly cant see what mistake he's made?

Okay so Wilshere and Debuchy are both performing well. I agree with that. But if you listen to what people are saying you're also supporting their point in a way. Debuchy is a RB playing at RB, Wilshire is a CAM playing at CAM, Gibbs and Moreal LB playing as LB, Sanchez can play anywhere in attack especially on the wings and is playing LW. The other players you list who arent playing well, Ozil CAM playing more of a LW/RW role, Ramsey CM box to box playing as a CAM and occupying the same position as wilshire, Santi a CAM who's been played as a LW/RW.

Im not saying its entirely down to the formation. The formation plays its part because of the roles players end up playing in, but there are other factors. Im just saying if you look at it like that, its a perfectly reasonable conclusion for people to be coming to and i can see why everyone is so desperate for the formation to be changed back
Jelly123
Michael Thomas

Postby StockGooner » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:37 am

Don't think any of the players in particular should be singled out for criticism, only 3 or 4 in the squad have shown a hint of consistency and good form this term.

Kos was at fault for the first goal yesterday imo, he should of got in a tackle, but I don't think he's fit enough to be playing the amount of games he's currently playing. I know it sounds drastic but I'd be resting him on Saturday for Chambers, I don't want Kos who is our best CB imo being injured so early in the season. This achilles injury is really annoying, it seems similar to one that Vieira (I think?) always used to have, where he'd get through games but was never 100% or even 90% fit? And when Kos does so much covering, he needs to be in top condition.
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:58 am

Salt and Wenger wrote:
Freeloader wrote:
Massa wrote:

+1

Mertesacker defo needs stick. Slow f**ker makes Kos look bad because he has to cover both their asses.

yup kos' poor positioning has nothing to do with him needing to cover 'mertesacker'

i guess hugging the touchline for aubameyangs goal and then sprinting desperately back in the center was kos 'covering mertesacker again'

Kos makes mistakes. The issue here is that it seems Kos gets more stick than Mertesacker and IMO it should be the other way round.

http://hoofoot.com/?match=Borussia_Dort ... 2014_09_16

3:12 - easily could have been a goal because Mertesacker was caught napping and didn't have enough pace to recover
6:13 (the second goal) - Kos was keeping a close eye on the Dortmund player that was wide open down our left hand side. Aubameyang actually took the ball down closer to Merts and had Mertesacker been quick enough he could have prevented the goal himself. How is it that Mertesacker was closer to goal but it was Kos that nearly preveted the goal. Koscielny shouldn't be babysitting all our defenders
8:34 - Notice how Mertesacker is just jogging back. Had Mkhitaryan cut the ball across goal instead of taking the shot that easily could have been another goal conceded
9:24 - Notice how Mertesacker lets the Dortmund player just run in on goal. Why not get in front of him early and force him to play a pass out wide. Luckily for us, the Dortmund player didn't take his shot earlier
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:03 am

StockGooner wrote:Don't think any of the players in particular should be singled out for criticism, only 3 or 4 in the squad have shown a hint of consistency and good form this term.

Exactly. It's Wenger's fault, he hasn't prepared us properly - we aren't ready for the season.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 am

Mertesacker's pace is making Kos look bad coupled with Wenger's high line.
Wenger is not even hiding his team's weakness anymore.
ThisIsNotAnID

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club