Klose & Lahm Retire From International Football

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Klose & Lahm Retire From International Football

Postby JordanTheGunner » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:22 am

Aged 30. Can't see why he's done this to be honest.

Means Mertesacker will be German captain?
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Phillip Lahm Retires From International Football

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:47 am

He wants to extend his Club career. Plus, he's won the WC already. Not much left to achieve.

Can't say I'm not shocked though.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Schlandi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:05 am

Copy & Paste from another thread didn't see that thread (deleted it there)
STRONG rumour:
Lahm won't play anymore in the german national team.
His manager Roman Grill confirmed the rumours in a german newspaper but there is no official announcement from the DFB or Lahm so far.

I highly doubt that Mertesacker will become captain I also guess he won't be a starter anymore.
Mertesacker is nearly 30 while Hummels and among others Boateng are in there mid 20s so they will be our CB pair in the future.
Khedira, Hummels or Müller could become our new captain.

I guess the old members of the "golden generation" like Schweinsteiger, Mertesacker and maybe Podolski will make it to the EC2016 but the minority of them as a starter. Besides the striker position there are young highly talented players for every position also check out which younger players we missed cause of injury at the WC f.e. Reus, Gündogan, both Benders ..

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:07 am

Best Full back in the world by far. He will be around a long time for his club team that's for sure.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:13 am

SchlandGooner wrote:Copy & Paste from another thread didn't see that thread (deleted it there)
STRONG rumour:
His manager Roman Grill confirmed the rumours in a german newspaper but there is no official announcement from the DFB or Lahm so far.

I highly doubt that Mertesacker will become captain I also guess he won't be a starter anymore.
Mertesacker is nearly 30 while Hummels and among others Boateng are in there mid 20s so they will be our CB pair in the future.

I guess the old members of the "golden generation" like Schweinsteiger, Mertesacker and maybe Podolski will make it to the EC2016 but the minority of them as a starter. Besides the striker position there are young highly talented players for every position also check out which younger players we missed cause of injury at the WC f.e. Reus, Gündogan, both Benders ..

Will Poldi go to the Euros in 2016? He didn't play much in the WC, so I doubt he would, especially with Reus there.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Massa » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:16 am

Bit strange. Thought he'd want to lift the Euro 2016 trophy
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Schlandi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:16 am

End up as number 4 yet in the german most-capped player list but Mertesacker and Schweinsteiger should get him.

1. Matthäus 150
2. Klose 137
3. Podolski 116
4. Lahm 113
5. Schweinsteiger/Klinsmann 108
6. Kohler 105
7. Mertesacker 104

a lot of retired players

Still active:
Özil 62
Gomez 59
Müller 56
Neuer 52
Khedira 51

rest :)

http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=500002&n ... 80a3e87d37

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Schlandi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:20 am

Angelito wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:Copy & Paste from another thread didn't see that thread (deleted it there)
STRONG rumour:

Will Poldi go to the Euros in 2016? He didn't play much in the WC, so I doubt he would, especially with Reus there.

Hard to tell yet doubt that he would be a starter of course but he would be 31years old and could be still useful as sub so let's wait and see. ;)

#GoonersWorldExcuses
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:25 am

I think a lot of Club managers (Simeone, Mourinho, Wenger, etc.) have stated how international football is about the World Cup mainly and the remaining time, you're playing useless games elsewhere. For most players, it's the World Cup or bust. The confederation tournaments like Euro and Copa do hold prestige on its own, but they're incomparable to the World Cup.

1. World Cup
2. Champions League
3. PL/LL/BuLI
4. Euro/Copa

For UEFA/CONMEBOL at least.

For Lahm, the World Cup is the biggest joy and I'm sure he'd want to prolong his club career than play useless amount of international friendlies between now and the Euros. Also, if he wanted to return, ala Zidane, for the Euros only, he'd be welcomed I'd assume.

If Messi wins the Copa, it'd be great, but it was all about the WC for him and I'm sure he'd rather take the CL over Copa, although since Messi has been accused of not playing his heart out for Argentina, he'd want to win the Copa next year, yet for most players - it's CL clear cut.

My understand anyway.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Schlandi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 am

Angelito wrote:For Lahm, the World Cup is the biggest joy and I'm sure he'd want to prolong his club career than play useless amount of international friendlies between now and the Euros. Also, if he wanted to return, ala Zidane, for the Euros only, he'd be welcomed I'd assume.

Dunno to be fair the team would have won the WC easily without him, he did nothing that the players on the bench couldn't have done.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:35 am

SchlandGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:For Lahm, the World Cup is the biggest joy and I'm sure he'd want to prolong his club career than play useless amount of international friendlies between now and the Euros. Also, if he wanted to return, ala Zidane, for the Euros only, he'd be welcomed I'd assume.

Dunno to be fair the team would have won the WC easily without him, he did nothing that the players on the bench couldn't have done.

Who, Lahm? Or, Zidane? :?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:36 am

He's won the WC, he has nothing else to win on the world stage.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Schlandi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:41 am

Angelito wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:

Lahm ;)

#GoonersWorldExcuses
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:46 am

SchlandGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:

Lahm ;)

Yeah, I agree there.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:46 am

Surprised.

I smell the influence of Guardiola
Cripps
SE13