The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread

Postby swipe right » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:44 pm

I bet you Mbappe throws his toys out of the pram and leaves next season. The brat isn’t going to like Messi getting all the attention.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Goonerred » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:It's also down to the fans that pay and watch. Football is no different to any other business. Same applies to movie stars, singers and entertainment industry as a whole. They generate millions/billions because we're willing to pay for it and watch.

I wonder how much they'll pay for a ticket?

They're probably charging the same money for a season ticket. It's probably less than an Arsenal season ticket! But I'd leave the morality side out of it because we could all choose to donate the money we spend on entertainment to charity instead.

I don't have a few mil and my back pocket though.

No but it's the same principle. The little money you have in your back pocket is spent on football and entertainment instead of charities. That's why these guys get paid so well because we all participate.

I personally don't spend anything on football these days.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:58 pm

I don’t think the wages are a problem for PSG, they’ll make half or more back with branding from having another superstar. It’s more that I would’ve liked to see him take on a challenge since he finally left Barcelona, rather then just take the biggest offer on the table (meaning it’s City vs PSG).

Not saying he should’ve come to Arsenal n try to drag us up the table but seeing him join Ronaldo at Juve for 2 years or help Liverpool fight against City’s oil money would’ve been great. Opportunity missed imo, not like he needs the money or ever will.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Mbappe and Neymar will be knocking on the door asking for a pay rise.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:18 pm

Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 pm

Santi wrote:Not saying he should’ve come to Arsenal n try to drag us up the table but seeing him join Ronaldo at Juve for 2 years or help Liverpool fight against City’s oil money would’ve been great. Opportunity missed imo, not like he needs the money or ever will.

Accto reports, Chelsea, Spurs, United, and PSG were interested in acquiring Messi. Joining Juve was never feasible. They don't have the money and are looking to offload Ronaldo themselves (due to his wages), especially now with Allegri back. But it's not possible in this market. It was reported that Allegri was against signing Ronaldo in the first place.

The likely destinations for him were Manchester (United), London (Chelsea), or Paris. I don't see why Messi would join Chelsea or United. They're not really that alluring for non- anglophile elite talents.

If Arsene were here and this were 2016, I think we'd have stood a chance. I really do. :hiding: Back in 2016, Messi did talk to Cesc about Arsenal in case an agreement with Barca couldn't be reached.

Messi has turned down City twice—once by choice (2012) and last season, as he didn't want to take Barca to court. Pep stated that after Grealish, City weren't in for Messi. City are also at odds with UEFA and the rest of the Prem. Even Villa wanted to sell Grealish to United over City as, allegedly, other clubs in the Prem do not like City.

They've been chanting the mantra of net spend for a while now. No club/manager has ever done that as far as I can recall. They're desperate to prove that they're not Money Inc. Pep's claim that they bought Grealish for £40m net—having sold players for £60m is hilarious. They were never in for Messi this time.

Nevertheless, I'm digressing.

Liverpool isn't really an attractive destination for most South American players. I'd go so far as to claim that even the likes of Salah or Mane would have joined other top clubs if there was interest. Believe it or not, Arsenal were the most attractive English club for foreign players before City joined the big league. We simply never capitalized on that as much as we should have—after we left Highbury—for various reasons.

Phil71 wrote:Mbappe and Neymar will be knocking on the door asking for a pay rise.

Neymar, no.

Mbappe will leave for Madrid. Now whether Messi's arrival changes his stance and he signs a 3-year deal, or he leaves immediately, that's not known. He wants to become the star player. At PSG, it wasn't possible as long as long as Neymar was there. With Messi's imminent arrival, he's going to be the third biggest star at PSG.

Will be interesting to see what he (Mbappe) does.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:15 am

Damn.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:29 am

Can't wait to watch them still bottle the CL.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Santi » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:02 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Can't wait to watch them still bottle the CL.

I really hope so :1990_dancing.gif:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:37 pm

Eternal GOAT

Well done
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:52 pm

I am no fan of Argentina but it's nice to see the big man cement his GOAT status
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:06 pm

I still prefer Ronaldo :snooty:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:14 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:I still prefer Ronaldo :snooty:
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:23 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:I still prefer Ronaldo :snooty:

Yeah but he's demonstrably not as good. And Messi is still going, Ronaldo is done. Another two seasons for Messi to further dry hump Ronaldo's legacy
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:46 pm

I still prefer Bergkamp and Henry, they're not better though lol
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to World Football