The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:32 am

Mike Dean wrote:He is a coward.

Always taking the easy way out.

He will need to show me that he can what Maradona did with Napoli for me to even consider ranking him above Maradona.

But he will never take that challenge.

He won't because he doesn't live in the '80s. Maradona had the career he had with all the limitations of that time: football was not as lucrative or global, nutrition and training methods were different, scouting methods were rougher. Had his career been in the 2000s like Messi's, it wouldn't have been the same, because the circumstances would be different.

You don't see anybody saying "Maradona's a cokehead, he'd never have Ronaldo's longevity", do you? No, because Maradona has his own legacy and is judged by the standards of the time that he played in.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:33 am

aniym wrote:

He will need to show me that he can what Maradona did with Napoli for me to even consider ranking him above Maradona.

He won't because he doesn't live in the '80s. Maradona had the career he had with all the limitations of that time: football was not as lucrative or global, nutrition and training methods were different, scouting methods were rougher. Had his career been in the 2000s like Messi's, it wouldn't have been the same, because the circumstances would be different.

You don't see anybody saying "Maradona's a cokehead, he'd never have Ronaldo's longevity", do you? No, because Maradona has his own legacy and is judged by the standards of the time that he played in.

I think the Maradona comparisons have to stop. Nobody sets the bar that high when talking of any other modern day footballer.

As for the Napoli / Maradona thing, in all the years I have watched football, I have never seen a superstar player move to a bottom of the table team and turn them into champions. Never.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:04 am

Agree 100%
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:48 am

That was emotional. :(

Ah well.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hulkibulk » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:51 am

Power n Glory wrote:
aniym wrote:

I think the Maradona comparisons have to stop. Nobody sets the bar that high when talking of any other modern day footballer.

As for the Napoli / Maradona thing, in all the years I have watched football, I have never seen a superstar player move to a bottom of the table team and turn them into champions. Never.

Kante signed for Leicester in summer 2015 :hiding:
Hulkibulk
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Ach » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:06 am

The tears of Messi.

Has there ever been a better sight?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Goonerred » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:17 am

Everyone has to blubber these days.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:19 am

It'll be a meme by now already
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:21 pm

It feels so surreal man.

Like that press conference was a dream; these past few days about Messi have been feverish phantasy.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:23 pm

He is so disappointed to be leaving. I don't think his next club will get 100% out of him.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:53 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
aniym wrote:

There is a tendency to overrate the current generation of players.
Messi is utterly fantastic, but I have still never seen anyone as good as Maradona in terms of impact and I have never seen any player live as good as Bergkamp in 97/98.
Different generations so hard to compare, but you are right in that Maradona is the closest to a player that was the sole reason for a teams success.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:00 pm

Phil71 wrote:He is so disappointed to be leaving. I don't think his next club will get 100% out of him.

Yup - going to be hard for his next club to make him feel at home.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:07 pm

The prince turned King.

Lionel's first day at Barcelona. Leo's last day at Barcelona.

Btw:

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RW_0 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:18 pm

He's blaming la liga for the exit. He had ALL YEAR to get a deal done but he kept refusing a new contract.
RW_0
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby swipe right » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:11 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
aniym wrote:

There is a tendency to overrate the current generation of players.
Messi is utterly fantastic, but I have still never seen anyone as good as Maradona in terms of impact and I have never seen any player live as good as Bergkamp in 97/98.
Different generations so hard to compare, but you are right in that Maradona is the closest to a player that was the sole reason for a teams success.

Maradona was shit cause he didn’t play in England. You can’t consider a player great if he only played in Argentina, Spain and Italy.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to World Football