The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: The Lionel Messi Appreciation Thread

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:50 am

This was in 2016 but the proof is in the pudding. Hasn't done much more in England since then anyway.

Like Ach said, he doesn't like leaving his comfort zone.

Could never do it week in week out in the PL. Not a chance.

Five time Ballon d’Or winner Lionel Messi will bring his vast talents to England once more when he and his Barcelona team-mates take on Manchester City on Tuesday.

The Argentine scored a hat-trick in a 4-0 win over City a fortnight ago to bolster his already impressive record against English opposition.

Messi has scored 16 times in his last 15 appearances against English teams, scoring more Champions League goals against them than sides from any other nation.

However, the trend is for the 29-year-old to do his best work against English opponents within the confines of the Nou Camp.

In fact, Messi netted only twice in his first 11 games for Barcelona on English soil. The first was against Manchester United at 'neutral' Wembley in the 2011 Champions League final.

As a result, the penalty he scored on his first appearance at the Etihad Stadium in February 2014 ended a 771-minute goal drought on Premier League grounds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Angelito wrote:
SuperJackyWilshere wrote:Until he's done it in the best league in the world like Ronaldo has we can't mention Messi as one of the greatest of all times.

One of the best in recent years in La Liga? Yeah perhaps.

He's scored more goals against top-6 EPL teams than Ron has.

Like what?

And he's never played in the Prem.

Like what?

Edit:

I can understand the Messi vs Ron debate and preference. But never, anywhere I've seen anyone dislike Messi as some Arsenal fans here do. It's as if Messi played for Spurs for some, or Ron were an Arsenal legend, or Welsh - for the Brits here.

It's sickening to see so called Arsenal fans fondle the balls of a Manc legend so much, it can only be worse if he was a Spud.

And why can't people like both Messi and CR7? Why can't people like both the PS4 and Xbox? It's like we're dealing with children. You don't have to hate Messi cause you love your boyfriend CR7 so much. Grow the f**k up people. :dizzy:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Angelito wrote:
Losmeister wrote:the whole passel of gnob gobblin cr7 fans is disgusting

I know it's a sin for Gooners to like Messi and I'm the only one who - despite being a fan of one - still likes the other. But bloody hell.

For a person who neither belongs to your country, club, or plays for your club - people here do love villainizing one because of their devotion towards the other.

It's really sad. Really sad when you can't appreciate one because of your obsession with the other.

Exactly.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:35 pm

Sims wrote:I like CR7 the player as well as Messi

No reason why as a functioning adult you can’t appreciate both their greatness

Just think Messi has been and always will be a better footballer & he’s the best of all time. There have clearly been years when Ronaldo has had better seasons however

The only conclusion is that Crips and Jacky aren't adults. Nothing else makes sense unless some can just be that big of douche bags?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Ach wrote:
Santi wrote:
Ach wrote:Why'd you delete your post Mesut?

Cba with the same old shit again so just leavin em to it.

It is ridiculous

I mean the mods changed my sig ffs cos they cant bear Messi not being seen as a god so I quit changing it back and leaving it blank.

Don't understand why a non Arsenal player being highlighted as a diver should matter on an Arsenal forum but it is what it is

Im with you on this. Cba.

If anyone wants to reply to my post above sensibly then im all up for a discussion but if its the usual youre trolling crap or sucking Ronaldo off or whatever, (I didn't mention Ronaldo btw) then please don't reply

Cripps can you not see the error in your ideas? You're trying to convince everyone that Messi is a diver for whatever reason. But then you're defending someone who was the biggest diver in the world for years. He has gotten better at that lately, but CR7 was one of the most notorious. So why criticize another player for doing something that the player you love so much did more of?

That is why most on this forum call you out buddy, because you're either really that stupid or just a troll.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Sims wrote:I like CR7 the player as well as Messi

No reason why as a functioning adult you can’t appreciate both their greatness

Just think Messi has been and always will be a better footballer & he’s the best of all time. There have clearly been years when Ronaldo has had better seasons however

And some of us think the opposite about Ronaldo being the better one with Messi being 2nd but that doesn't seem to be really allowed :dontknow:

Jesus christ it is really tiresome though, they both have about 3 years left at best just f***ing watch and enjoy u k***s. Look how boring Madrid and La Liga are already without 1 of them.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:25 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Ach wrote:
Santi wrote:

It is ridiculous

I mean the mods changed my sig ffs cos they cant bear Messi not being seen as a god so I quit changing it back and leaving it blank.

Don't understand why a non Arsenal player being highlighted as a diver should matter on an Arsenal forum but it is what it is

If anyone wants to reply to my post above sensibly then im all up for a discussion but if its the usual youre trolling crap or sucking Ronaldo off or whatever, (I didn't mention Ronaldo btw) then please don't reply

Cripps can you not see the error in your ideas? You're trying to convince everyone that Messi is a diver for whatever reason. But then you're defending someone who was the biggest diver in the world for years. He has gotten better at that lately, but CR7 was one of the most notorious. So why criticize another player for doing something that the player you love so much did more of?

That is why most on this forum call you out buddy, because you're either really that stupid or just a troll.

See again, you are criticising Cripps and saying Ronaldo was the biggest diver for years. The reason he points it out about Messi is because everyone acts like he doesn't dive and has always been an angel.

Imo they've historically done it about as much as each other, Barca and Messi have just always been smarter about it than Ronaldo and Madrid. Only in recent 2/3 seasons have the refs been more on Madrid's side, prior to that Barca got away with murder (as we well know and were on the receiving end with RVP).

Anyway, I love Ronaldo as a player, don't care who he played for in the past. I like Messi, he plays the type of game I like (similar to David Silva but better) but happen to prefer the former and rate the former higher for his determination to be the best, his big game bottle (CL mostly) and for proving himself in different environments. We'll also never know how good Messi would be without his HGH but just gonna have to accept that. You don't have to agree but I won't let people have a go at me for having those opinions.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Santi wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Ach wrote:
Santi wrote:

It is ridiculous

See again, you are criticising Cripps and saying Ronaldo was the biggest diver for years. The reason he points it out about Messi is because everyone acts like he doesn't dive and has always been an angel.

Imo they've historically done it about as much as each other, Barca and Messi have just always been smarter about it than Ronaldo and Madrid. Only in recent 2/3 seasons have the refs been more on Madrid's side, prior to that Barca got away with murder (as we well know and were on the receiving end with RVP).

Anyway, I love Ronaldo as a player, don't care who he played for in the past. I like Messi, he plays the type of game I like (similar to David Silva but better) but happen to prefer the former and rate the former higher for his determination to be the best, his big game bottle (CL mostly) and for proving himself in different environments. We'll also never know how good Messi would be without his HGH but just gonna have to accept that. You don't have to agree but I won't let people have a go at me for having those opinions.

No, not everyone acts like he doesn't dive, maybe some, but I never did. As far as I'm concerned, almost every player dives to a certain extent.

You ain't like Cripps though, you don't have over the top bias for one player and hate the other. He acts like a 12 y/o, the forum can see it.

And I'm talking about the CR7 years with Man U. He was one of the worst divers in the world. Him Drogba, Eboue, half the Spanish squad. Whether Messi was just as much or not I could care less. I'm not the one on here acting like a child and being hypocritical about it all like these two.

It seriously is a forum killer. Like I said before we've lost good members from people like him and from him in general. Again, there are reasons why he has been banned a couple times now.

I don't care who the better player is, I just enjoy watching them both and being alive during this era. That's what adults do, kids will pick one or the other.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Also hands up if you've seen them both live @ a stadium \o/
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Santi wrote:Also hands up if you've seen them both live @ a stadium \o/

Ronaldo yes

Messi I cant remember. think I have but couldn't care less
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Losmeister » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:55 pm

CR love is "not allowed"... such BS.

you guys plaster your jizz over almost every thread with it... THATS the problem.. not that there is objection to the object of your affection
but that you matsurbate about so very often and so very publicly....while simultaneously and purposefully debasing Messi at every chance...

its fine that opinions differ. its the BEHAVIOR that is so very obnoxious, puerile and sophmoric.

ans seriously, this a a feckin ARSENAL forum... go do your biz at an Mancs or Madrid forum... wtf are you doing HERE?
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dynamite » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby UFGN » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Losmeister wrote:CR love is "not allowed"... such BS.

you guys plaster your jizz over almost every thread with it... THATS the problem.. not that there is objection to the object of your affection
but that you matsurbate about so very often and so very publicly....while simultaneously and purposefully debasing Messi at every chance...

its fine that opinions differ. its the BEHAVIOR that is so very obnoxious, puerile and sophmoric.

ans seriously, this a a feckin ARSENAL forum... go do your biz at an Mancs or Madrid forum... wtf are you doing HERE?

Difficult to disagree
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Angelito » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Happy birthday, Leo.

:1990_dancing.gif:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:19 pm