Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Neymar Jr

Postby gooney » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:46 pm

weaponx57 wrote:You guys actually think this transfer is cool? This aint a sport anymore its a place for arabs to show the world hey we got money we own you...basically Qatar owns France and for Neymar to be associated with a club that is owned by a country that is known for funding terrorism....don't people have shame? Ideals? Principals? I guess not its all about the money....the human race gonna be extinct soon and we will be the cause of it.

Arabs are in it to win....americans are in it to make money. I know which i prefer. Psg owners are 10 times better than ours. They actually dont think they are above to speak to fans and make time for them
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Mike Dean » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:13 am

gooney wrote:
weaponx57 wrote:You guys actually think this transfer is cool? This aint a sport anymore its a place for arabs to show the world hey we got money we own you...basically Qatar owns France and for Neymar to be associated with a club that is owned by a country that is known for funding terrorism....don't people have shame? Ideals? Principals? I guess not its all about the money....the human race gonna be extinct soon and we will be the cause of it.

Arabs are in it to win....americans are in it to make money. I know which i prefer. Psg owners are 10 times better than ours. They actually dont think they are above to speak to fans and make time for them

As an American and an Arsenal fan, I cant argue with this.

I would rather have them managing my team, pouring their own money into Arsenal and putting us in position to win trophies than having Stan in charge. The same guy that has destroyed teams in America and is destroying Arsenal.

Newspaper treats us going after Lemar as a statement of intent. They treat us like a mid tier club because thats what we have been looking like for past few seasons with our player acquisitions and results.

What was PSG's statement of intent?

Stealing one of the best players in the world in his prime from Barca.

Now that is a statement of intent from a team with high ambitions.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby elkanofan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:27 am

GoonerAlexis wrote:People keep saying this, but I'm pretty sure if you had the great Brazil team of the past play in today's time, they'd be destroyed by lower tier midtable teams.

Football has become much more fitter, much more quicker and much more technical than it ever was. People who think the great players of the past were so great only think so because the defending was worse, and the fitness of defenders was horrendous.
Ade Akinbayi Was the most inshape football player possibly you will have ever seen.

Yet Ronaldo about 5 stone overweight at Corinthians, ravaged with ligament injuries was still 3 times better than him.

Modern players are technically pretty good but they lack vision, maturity and tenacity. They are like soilders made from cardboard. Wenger said years ago about this problem, olayers have lost their eye of the tiger from the street.

Jamie Vardy, literally a pub player till age 26 is Englands 2nd/3rd best striker behind Harry Kane at age 31! Reiterating just how poor this generation of young players has been.

Football is an artform. There have always been teams full of athletes but they never made it anywhere. Self created geniuses always rise to the top. Football is dogshit now compared to years gone by and the evidence is right the all over infront of us.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 am

elkanofan wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:People keep saying this, but I'm pretty sure if you had the great Brazil team of the past play in today's time, they'd be destroyed by lower tier midtable teams.

Football has become much more fitter, much more quicker and much more technical than it ever was. People who think the great players of the past were so great only think so because the defending was worse, and the fitness of defenders was horrendous.
Ade Akinbayi Was the most inshape football player possibly you will have ever seen.

Yet Ronaldo about 5 stone overweight at Corinthians, ravaged with ligament injuries was still 3 times better than him.

Modern players are technically pretty good but they lack vision, maturity and tenacity. They are like soilders made from cardboard. Wenger said years ago about this problem, olayers have lost their eye of the tiger from the street.

Jamie Vardy, literally a pub player till age 26 is Englands 2nd/3rd best striker behind Harry Kane at age 31! Reiterating just how poor this generation of young players has been.

Football is an artform. There have always been teams full of athletes but they never made it anywhere. Self created geniuses always rise to the top. Football is dogshit now compared to years gone by and the evidence is right the all over infront of us.

Not true ....

I know several players from the eighties, good players from Division 1 and II .... they would all agree they wouldn't last 10 minutes in today's game .... sure they have the skills, the vision, the desire ... but ... they were much slower, couldn't cover half the distance, had nowhere near the physical strength of today's players .... they had no dietitian, no personal trainer, no 25m training facility, no private medical facilities, etc. ....

We all look back with 'rose-tinted' glasses but the truth is 80% of all records are always set in the last decade ... there's a good reason for that ... we continuously improve, add in the millions football has seen in the last 40 years and that improvement is significant ....

As an example - average distance covered by a midfield player in 1980/81 (based on TV footage as not even measured back then) 4.5km ... top midfield players today regularly manage over 10km per game .... that's a staggering increase ...... sure running around ain't everything but it's a symptom of a massive change in fitness levels ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby elkanofan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:02 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

Not true ....

I know several players from the eighties, good players from Division 1 and II .... they would all agree they wouldn't last 10 minutes in today's game .... sure they have the skills, the vision, the desire ... but ... they were much slower, couldn't cover half the distance, had nowhere near the physical strength of today's players .... they had no dietitian, no personal trainer, no 25m training facility, no private medical facilities, etc. ....

We all look back with 'rose-tinted' glasses but the truth is 80% of all records are always set in the last decade ... there's a good reason for that ... we continuously improve, add in the millions football has seen in the last 40 years and that improvement is significant ....

As an example - average distance covered by a midfield player in 1980/81 (based on TV footage as not even measured back then) 4.5km ... top midfield players today regularly manage over 10km per game .... that's a staggering increase ...... sure running around ain't everything but it's a symptom of a massive change in fitness levels ....
You know. Everytime someone says this about 'oh players are so much fitter than they where 20-30 years ago!' Always seem to completley forget there where fitness fanatics, personal trainers and physical excercise proffesionals who all played soccer toghether right?

You know none of these people ever became the worlds best? None of them had the mentallity, awareness and technical abillity to shine at the highest level. These days the propoganda you hear about this stuff makes you think mainining match fitness is some impossible, elite only thing when simply maintaining a natural, earth based diet can get you in incredible shape very quickly and maintain that level of physique well into your 40's and 50's.

Modern players are juiced up by Big Pharmacutical industries who make massive, massive amounts of money on the drugs legal and illegal they supply athletes. Do you know anything about the pharmacutical industry? I've talked with sports scientists regarding the methods they use in training at university, i know young scientists who have worked in this industry, dont be navie, money is the priority here, its a buisness looking to promote its products for profit. This "Players are fitter and stronger than ever" Is their tagline they parade to justify itself which is fair but highly miselading. Excessive amounts of these drugs have horrible side affects and may cause severe and unecessary long term damage to athletes. The truth is the player dosent need to be over the edge juiced up to win football matches he just needs to be fit enough to produce his technical abillity over 90-120 minutes!

Back to the references i spoke about Ronaldo who in 2009-2011 an era no different than today in regards to sports science, 3 stone overweight, ravaged by injuries STILL! Was a far better player than guys like Welbeck even at his peak. There is a artistic element to football no matter how physically inshape a player is like Oxlaide-Chamberlain, hes never going to be able to stroll round a pitch like Andrea Pirlo and dictate a game from start to finish!

A glossy academy dosent give you that artistry! It comes from who you are as a person, your morals and your self discipline which is something you always show on the street! This is what football used to be about, now its just big money legal human trafficking of self branded young people. The entire system in football is broken, its actually losing out massivley on talent due to greed than letting it flourish, football is not in a good situation right now.

elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Schlandi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:20 pm

You guys should take into account that if they would play on one of these "bomb crater" pitches with an oldschool ball and boots I doubt that todays players would look to fancy.. "Modern football" in an oldschool enviroment is hardly possible imo.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:23 pm

West Brom would destroy Brazil of 1970 tbh, no matter what the pitches. Pulis masterclass.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:59 pm

elkanofan wrote:
You know none of these people ever became the worlds best? None of them had the mentallity, awareness and technical abillity to shine at the highest level. These days the propoganda you hear about this stuff makes you think mainining match fitness is some impossible, elite only thing when simply maintaining a natural, earth based diet can get you in incredible shape very quickly and maintain that level of physique well into your 40's and 50's.

Modern players are juiced up by Big Pharmacutical industries who make massive, massive amounts of money on the drugs legal and illegal they supply athletes. Do you know anything about the pharmacutical industry? I've talked with sports scientists regarding the methods they use in training at university, i know young scientists who have worked in this industry, dont be navie, money is the priority here, its a buisness looking to promote its products for profit. This "Players are fitter and stronger than ever" Is their tagline they parade to justify itself which is fair but highly miselading. Excessive amounts of these drugs have horrible side affects and may cause severe and unecessary long term damage to athletes. The truth is the player dosent need to be over the edge juiced up to win football matches he just needs to be fit enough to produce his technical abillity over 90-120 minutes!

Back to the references i spoke about Ronaldo who in 2009-2011 an era no different than today in regards to sports science, 3 stone overweight, ravaged by injuries STILL! Was a far better player than guys like Welbeck even at his peak. There is a artistic element to football no matter how physically inshape a player is like Oxlaide-Chamberlain, hes never going to be able to stroll round a pitch like Andrea Pirlo and dictate a game from start to finish!

A glossy academy dosent give you that artistry! It comes from who you are as a person, your morals and your self discipline which is something you always show on the street! This is what football used to be about, now its just big money legal human trafficking of self branded young people. The entire system in football is broken, its actually losing out massivley on talent due to greed than letting it flourish, football is not in a good situation right now.

Dude, I agree technical ability is needed, but someone like Ronaldo would absolutely roast the defences in the 70's with his pace. Maybe even some like Theo Walcott would do pretty well with his raw pace. The Barcelona of the late noughties would wreck that team. That was fitness paired with technique, that those teams didn't have.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:32 pm

GoonerAlexis wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

Dude, I agree technical ability is needed, but someone like Ronaldo would absolutely roast the defences in the 70's with his pace. Maybe even some like Theo Walcott would do pretty well with his raw pace. The Barcelona of the late noughties would wreck that team. That was fitness paired with technique, that those teams didn't have.

Players like Ronaldo and Walcott would have retired after one season. Those were the days when enforcers actually meant something. Those guys were psychotic and you try too much shit, they're flying straight for your knees.

Walcott wouldn't be able to walk after 10 games.

Even in the 80s and early 90s the standard for a caution or sending off was much higher than it is today.

People tend to say this sort of stuff because they simply haven't seen enough footage from back then to realise just how good some of these guys were and just how hard they played. It wasn't that long ago that substitutions didn't actually exist ffs.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:30 am

Zedie wrote:Players like Ronaldo and Walcott would have retired after one season. Those were the days when enforcers actually meant something. Those guys were psychotic and you try too much shit, they're flying straight for your knees.

Walcott wouldn't be able to walk after 10 games.

Even in the 80s and early 90s the standard for a caution or sending off was much higher than it is today.

People tend to say this sort of stuff because they simply haven't seen enough footage from back then to realise just how good some of these guys were and just how hard they played. It wasn't that long ago that substitutions didn't actually exist ffs.

Exactly, these days people just do not do their research and forget their history very easily. The game is made much easier for modern players with very strict tackling laws, i mean Pedro back in the 80's would had got off with a warning, not even a yellow for the tackle on Elneny he did today, instead in the modern gm=ame it was a straight red!

You had to have balls to stand up against rough and tough defenders and the skill to keep playing your game, nowadays its made easy for you.

Football was a battle back then in the 60's 70's and 80's., natural testosterone was allowed to flow into the game, not the nancy boy stuff we see today. Those players had a mentallity these modern players do not have, they lived for the game rather than the attention and social media worship.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 am

What we're all saying here is that you just can't compare ....

1980's - 'bomb-crater' pitches 'enforcers' 'male testosterone' 'smoking' 'boy's club'

2017 - 'super fit' 'nancy boys' 'pampered' 'protected'

The 1980's players would today be sent off before they collapsed from exhaustion ....
The 2017 players would back then have been stretchered off before they ran past anyone ....

As for 'raw talent' - in the 1980's there were 4.4 billion people on the planet .... today there are 6.9 billion .... basic maths tells you that statistically it's a near certainty that there is more 'raw talent' today than there was in 1980 .... just wish our academy scouts would find a few of them ......
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:45 am

The best would have adapted
The rest would have fell by the wayside
Souness was a great footballer who could kick you as well
But them who only knew how to kick would be f***ked
In those days if someone was sent off you could be pretty sure it was attempted murder
I think the 2 yellow thing has gone a bit too far now and common sense has been eradicated( ie van persie sent off at Barcelona) that kick in to the stands a nano second after the whistle was not going to threaten a career. But the game should be protected from thuggery and you generally know when you see it
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:35 pm

200m for a player is absurd but at PSG I think Neymar can bring the Ronaldinho-style showboating that football has been missing for far too long. Everything is too clinical and results-oriented in La Liga. In Ligue 1, even the likes of Cavani can score 49 goals in a season.

Neymar will be a walking highlight reel.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:17 am

Depay scored from the halfway line last year, I expect Neymar to be doing that but beating 5 players before hand and setting the shot up with a rainbow flick.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby BS221B » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Neymar still unable to play as Barca tells the Spanish Federation to hold off on sending PSG the transfer certificate

f***ing piece of shits.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to World Football