Helena Costa - first female manager - whats your take?

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Is this good for football?

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes : 26

Re: Helena Costa - first female manager - whats your take?

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu May 08, 2014 8:04 am

The thing is that the media turn it into a witch hunt. Have they ever considered that there actually aren't any homosexual players in the PL?
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Santi » Thu May 08, 2014 8:16 am

Callum wrote:
Cripps wrote:It's a non issue. Far more important things to sort out in football

It's just as important as removing racism from the game. Any form of discrimination needs to eradicated. Do you not think this is important, or do you just see abuse for being gay as being not as severe as abuse for the colour of your skin?

Well then you get into the argument that one is a choice and one isn't. Racism much worse imo, nobody even cares about a player being gay and I doubt there are any in the PL anyway.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Apollo » Thu May 08, 2014 8:30 am

Cripps wrote:Gay players who think the world needs to know that they are gay.

We really don't.

They should be mocked.

Any gay players out there not willing to broadcast it to the world have my respect.

Couldn't care less about Rooneys granny shagging antics, Giggs and his sis in law, Terry and Bridges bitch etc. likewise I don't care about gays sex life

To be fair initially the more that its out there and the more people here about it helps dispel certain myths (gays cant play football,stay away dont come onto me etc) to the point were its no longer seen as taboo or as big of an issue.

Footballers jobs dont just end on the field, these guys serve as rolemodels for millions of kids, "hey my hero just came out, well i guess i dont have to kill myself and i can come out to".

People in the public eye have a bigger impact on peoples lives than you would think.

You dont have to read the articles, follow the gossip, take in their stories if you dont want to, but the reach of football (Sports in general) extends far beyond the pitch. Thats why its so often used as a tool to tackle some of societies biggest problems.

I think respect is earned by anyone who could potentially have a positive impact on someone else's live to their own detriment.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu May 08, 2014 8:41 am

Mesüt wrote:
Callum wrote:
Cripps wrote:It's a non issue. Far more important things to sort out in football

It's just as important as removing racism from the game. Any form of discrimination needs to eradicated. Do you not think this is important, or do you just see abuse for being gay as being not as severe as abuse for the colour of your skin?

Well then you get into the argument that one is a choice and one isn't. Racism much worse imo, nobody even cares about a player being gay and I doubt there are any in the PL anyway.

Exactly, apart from Ashley cole (allegedly) of course. :sneaky2:
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby elkanofan » Thu May 08, 2014 10:02 am

I think its a bit of a gimmick.

To draw in attention to the club. Its worked wonders already. Now all she needs to do is actually perform alright.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Thu May 08, 2014 10:34 am

Mesüt wrote:Well then you get into the argument that one is a choice and one isn't. Racism much worse imo, nobody even cares about a player being gay and I doubt there are any in the PL anyway.

That's nonsense though, because you don't choose your sexuality. If you're gay it's because you find members of the same sex attractive - that's not something you choose, it's something that's part of you that you don't have any control over. It's just the way we're wired.

Anyway, even if it was a choice - and it isn't - to say that it's not as bad because you choose to do something insinuates that being gay is a bad thing and if you get abuse as a result of it, you made that choice and should live with the consequences. If you really could choose your sexuality then it shouldn't matter whatever you pick because no potential option is wrong.

Discrimination is discrimination, and should not be tolerated in football or in any walk of life.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Thu May 08, 2014 10:46 am

It's not a choice?

That's bs.

Plenty of guys go out and f**k a load of women. Get married,have kids etc then decide they are bored and change lifestyle to being gay for whatever reason.

They chose it.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu May 08, 2014 10:59 am

I don't buy into this 'born gay' argument but like I said that's a whole different debate and not one i'm particularly interested in.

IMO racism is a much bigger issue, there's actually a LOT of black players in the league whereas (yes we don't know) I doubt there's many if any gay players. Racism needs to be tackled first, there's no open homophobia in football on a regular basis yet you have Dani Alves getting a banana thrown at him, Balotelli being abused in Milan, KPB the same. Much more pressing issue.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu May 08, 2014 11:15 am

Mesüt wrote: I doubt there are any in the PL anyway.

Ok I had my suspicions that you were a bit of a village idiot and theres the confirmation.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Callum » Thu May 08, 2014 11:35 am

Cripps wrote:It's not a choice?

That's bs.

Plenty of guys go out and f**k a load of women. Get married,have kids etc then decide they are bored and change lifestyle to being gay for whatever reason.

They chose it.

You're struggling to grasp the essence of what I'm saying. There's a difference between being gay - being wired in a way that you find men an attractive - and actually engaging in homosexual acts. You don't choose who you are sexually attracted to, you only choose who you engage in sexual acts with.

It's really not that complicated.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu May 08, 2014 11:39 am

UFGN wrote:

Ok I had my suspicions that you were a bit of a village idiot and theres the confirmation.

Yeah just the sport gay players would've wanted to get into over the last 20 years right? In current premier league football do you suspect there's many gay players hiding in the corner afraid to come out? Really?

I would love to know your answer because you are ALWAYS right obviously :)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu May 08, 2014 11:42 am

Mesüt wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Yeah just the sport gay players would've wanted to get into over the last 20 years right? In current premier league football do you suspect there's many gay players hiding in the corner afraid to come out? Really?

I would love to know your answer because you are ALWAYS right obviously :)

No seriously, im am absolutely done discussing anything with you. Waste of time.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Santi » Thu May 08, 2014 11:43 am

Thank god for that. It's boring when you're so blinded by your own opinions you can't comprehend anything else.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu May 08, 2014 11:54 am

Royal Gooner wrote:The thing is that the media turn it into a witch hunt. Have they ever considered that there actually aren't any homosexual players in the PL?

You and Ukip deserve each other.

UFGN

Postby Angelito » Thu May 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Glad for her. Hope she pulls it off.

Women are better managers in most other fields as compared to men. Not a conclusion, an observation, so I have no doubt that she could manage them well. The media and the footballing fraternity will give her a torrid time, but if she's reached there, she must be able to handle it. Best of luck to her.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to World Football